Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 70025 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 07:23:06 »

James Phipps is the owner and CEO of Excaliber. A local company. Probably on a par with Power in the richness stakes.

He's not. He sold it.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #121 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 09:33:19 »

In reference to the club/owner recognising a need to change tack I think Is quite the correct approach. Who that will benefit in the long term is quite anyone's guess but as the famous quote goes;

"...doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

We have stagnated so much as a club. Regardless of how they are/have doing/done it, look at many of the clubs around us, one thing has stood out. They have changed tack and developed a new stadia. Bristol City, Reading (ugh), Southampton, Bournemouth (more ugh). They've all been in the doldrums like ourselves and yet they've all managed to move on and sustained Tier two or higher. Yes all of those clubs have wealthy backers. We had a wealthy backer in Black, Arbib & co. Infact I think their personal wealth was higher than the likes of Madjeski and the fella at Bristol City. We can bang on about the Madjeski being a soulless field of plastic seats (I bloody hate it and their "fans") but they key thing is, they bring in extra revenue. It's a 24/7 facility. We have buggar all. I love this club as much as any of you here but if ever there was a time for STFC to "move on" now is the time.  Otherwise I feel the club will just run itself into the ground. None of us want that, I'm certain.

We should be a tier two club, there is no doubt. Forget historically we're Tier three. I go through so many clubs that are above us that have "moved on" and I think, we can easily be where they are. Burnley, Cardiff, Swansea, Huddersfield, Brighton, Burton, Hull, Wigan, Shrewsbury. It almost sounds ridiculous how many of these clubs are thriving better than us but they all have a common factor. New ground/redeveloped ground. Pretty much all with extra revenue streams via the club facilities (gyms/5-a-side/spa/hotel/units rented to restaurants and other retail).

I can't wait for all the cunt points btw  Soapy Tit Wank Soapy Tit Wank Soapy Tit Wank Pint

Lansdowne (Bristol City fella) is worth nearly £3 billion - https://www.forbes.com/profile/stephen-lansdown/
Arbib once sold shares for a billion, but is reckoned to be worth around £350 million - http://economia.icaew.com/features/the-accountancy-rich-list-2015/accountancy-rich-list-2015-24-to-11

Nowhere near the same ballpark. Have another couple of cunt points for spouting made up shit as fact again.

We are not a tier 2 club.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 09:36:16 »

He didn't say we are, he said we should be in all fairness.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #123 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 09:38:01 »

Why should we be? We're not in the same league financially (or literally!) as any of the clubs in the championship. Last time Bristol City came down to League One they did so on a playing budget of circa £20 million. How can we compete with that?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 09:41:40 »

that's the worry now. To me, getting to the championship  and staying there is as difficult as getting to the premier league used to be.

you only need to look at average attendances in the championship to see where we'd sit financially. that's without the parachute payment clubs distorting it further.

how do we bridge that gap without major investment all round?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 09:48:45 »

Why should we be? We're not in the same league financially (or literally!) as any of the clubs in the championship. Last time Bristol City came down to League One they did so on a playing budget of circa £20 million. How can we compete with that?

Probably because, like me, his early years were spent with us spending the majority of our time in the second tier. I'm not sure, I'm speculating on his part. I don't see us as a second tier club at all personally. We could be with the potential fanbase, but even the people in Swindon who like the club are majorly apathetic towards it so really, we'll probably stick to third or fourth tiers.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 10:04:40 »

Wonder if LP old mate Colin Hill is involved
That would be a major "run for the hills" red flag. The reason Power's previous track record of involvement with football and property is dubious is where he's been involved with Hill and pals. Hopefully this is a chance for him to demonstrate that he's put those days (and those people) behind him.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #127 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 10:28:43 »

That would be a major "run for the hills" red flag. The reason Power's previous track record of involvement with football and property is dubious is where he's been involved with Hill and pals. Hopefully this is a chance for him to demonstrate that he's put those days (and those people) behind him.
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15865447.Council_pledge_to_make_best_deal_for_all_over_County_Ground/ Thought they spoke very well here. At a time where both parties are not revealing much it was nice to hear something
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 10:32:14 »

yes good response from Perkins. obviously we'll see.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 10:57:23 »

Back around to money in football, the biggest spoiler for me personally. Tends to be the haves and have nots with a few mixing it up or down the leagues. All a bit boring and predictable these days.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 11:19:36 »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15865447.Council_pledge_to_make_best_deal_for_all_over_County_Ground/ Thought they spoke very well here. At a time where both parties are not revealing much it was nice to hear something

Unusually for Perkins, there's a lot of sense written here.  However, we're talking of decision makers, who got into bed with Rikki, so much do they like STFC chairmen.

The lesson learned from that... say the right things about benefit for the people of Swindon, and you won't be held to account for disappearing funds, either by any watchdog or the voters of places like Haydon Wick.

I'm reassured having read the piece that anything will happen any time soon... therefore can return to crocodile mode, half an eye open for danger, but slumber and dream about 3 points at Cov.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 12:37:48 »

In reference to the club/owner recognising a need to change tack I think Is quite the correct approach. Who that will benefit in the long term is quite anyone's guess but as the famous quote goes;

"...doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

We have stagnated so much as a club. Regardless of how they are/have doing/done it, look at many of the clubs around us, one thing has stood out. They have changed tack and developed a new stadia. Bristol City, Reading (ugh), Southampton, Bournemouth (more ugh). They've all been in the doldrums like ourselves and yet they've all managed to move on and sustained Tier two or higher. Yes all of those clubs have wealthy backers. We had a wealthy backer in Black, Arbib & co. Infact I think their personal wealth was higher than the likes of Madjeski and the fella at Bristol City. We can bang on about the Madjeski being a soulless field of plastic seats (I bloody hate it and their "fans") but they key thing is, they bring in extra revenue. It's a 24/7 facility. We have buggar all. I love this club as much as any of you here but if ever there was a time for STFC to "move on" now is the time.  Otherwise I feel the club will just run itself into the ground. None of us want that, I'm certain.

We should be a tier two club, there is no doubt. Forget historically we're Tier three. I go through so many clubs that are above us that have "moved on" and I think, we can easily be where they are. Burnley, Cardiff, Swansea, Huddersfield, Brighton, Burton, Hull, Wigan, Shrewsbury. It almost sounds ridiculous how many of these clubs are thriving better than us but they all have a common factor. New ground/redeveloped ground. Pretty much all with extra revenue streams via the club facilities (gyms/5-a-side/spa/hotel/units rented to restaurants and other retail).

I can't wait for all the cunt points btw  Soapy Tit Wank Soapy Tit Wank Soapy Tit Wank Pint
Good post so no cunt points from me  Wink

You are reflecting the legitimate desire of our fanbase for progress on the ground as a step towards financial stability.  I share that wish for progress.  In my view that could only be achieved if the Trust purchases the freehold.  

Firstly let's keep clear who could (in the simplest of terms) be involved in the County Ground Freehold purchase:

STFC LTD (ie Power's loss making business))
the Trust (ie vehicle for fans' purchase of County Ground freehold)

Where appropriate I refer to STFC LTD as Power and to the Trust as the Fans

If STFC LTD buys the CG freehold then the club's Landlord becomes Power (or the owner for the time being of the STFC LTD)
If the Trust buys the CG then the club's new Landlord becomes the Fans.  

On paper the Fans' ownership of the CG in place of SBC does not adversely impact one single previously stated ambition of Power for the club.  What it does do is ensure that IF there is any future development of the CG, the Fans would be involved as its owner.  If there were profits to be made from any "development" (whether as income stream or from a planning gain) then the Trust would inevitably share in them.

Otherwise, why the hell would anyone think any financial risk takers in buying the County Ground or in its development would somehow voluntarily just "give" the club a share of any gain or income stream? ie a permanent gift to enure for the club rather than to STFC LTD, solely owned at present by Power?

Why is Power suddenly interested?

IMO that would be because in ADDITION TO ownership and control of the CG, there may ALSO be a present "hope value", ie for a future planning gain.  If so, should any planning windfall accrue to the Fans plus backers (for the permanent benefit of the Club) or to Power plus backers?  

The Fans' financial backers would include those fans purchasing shares plus the Eady Estate (neither of which is likely to require a financial return for itself - unlike an STFC LTD/Power purchase).  

Power is no worse off with the Trust as replacement Landlord.  Any ground purchase, let alone development, will demand unascertained backers and terms.  Trust ownership of the Ground could also ensure the Fans had some leverage on any future purchaser of the club.  I do not see Power with or without backers as financially capable of driving the club forward. 

Excepting the dream billionaire fan-owner, I see permanent progress for the club at least a decade away.  The acquisition now of the CG freehold is the best opportunity to secure this for the Fans' benefit in the club's hundred year history.  What's another decade now?
« Last Edit: Friday, January 19, 2018, 12:47:01 by RedRag » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 12:42:16 »

Two things that come to mind reading this thread.

Someone questioned why Power/The club are interested in the stadium now when they hadn’t been before.
I’d guess that could be because the council now appear to want to sell it off. It’s one thing having to pay rent to the council, but a whole different ball game to a third party who may well have no interest in football, let alone STFC.

The other is regarding this idea of our potential.
I’m not sure that we would get the crowds that some people think even if we made it to the championship, after all our first ever home Premier league game didn’t make 12000. (I know this was a while ago & against Oldham).
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 12:44:26 »

You are forgetting Chelsea mustered less at SB when we played them that season  Wink

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Friday, January 19, 2018, 12:45:34 »

Perkin's being involved fills me with dread. His track record is shameful.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: