Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 69926 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 18:01:01 »

Who's funding the trust bid?

Mike Diamandis

Never knowingly overstated.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 18:11:47 »

My opinion is that only the Trust can ensure any benefit passes to STFC rather than to its owner for the time being. 

Power has never expressed interest in owning the ground previously.

How would it disadvantage him or the club that he owns to have a friendly landlord in the Trust and a friendly partner in any future development plans for the CG (whether for the Ground or for a "never say never" housing development planning gain)?

My view is because he sees a better possibility for a profit for himself - through STFC - in either selling the club with freehold ownership or benefitting from a planning gain with a third party of his own choosing. 

This does not make Power a monster but it would not be in STFC's best interests

My preferred outcomes, in this order

1 Trust acquires freehold
2 SBC retains freehold
3 STFC acquires freehold

I tend to agree with PaulD, Audrey and Reg etc on this issue but as Reg and others note the Trust's limited communication requires powerful and timely correction. 
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #107 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 18:28:40 »

On that basis, I assume you're also opposed to democratic elections as a way of running the country?

Good point, I won't join the general election facebook group just in case.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 18:37:09 »

As I saw you point out elsewhere, DRS, if it were Power not revealing an anonymous funder people would be going berserk.

I understand why the trust probably can't reveal theirs, it's not a dig at them. But still...

Whoever it is the idea that the Trust buy backed by a couple of very large backers still worries me, people don't give that sort of cash expecting nowt in return, and likewise circumstances change, remember Bill Power and the plane crash, all it needs is for one of the funders to encounter an unforeseen and either they or in the worst case their successors need the cash back sharpish and you are in trouble.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 19:00:15 »

My opinion is that only the Trust can ensure any benefit passes to STFC rather than to its owner for the time being. 

Power has never expressed interest in owning the ground previously.

How would it disadvantage him or the club that he owns to have a friendly landlord in the Trust and a friendly partner in any future development plans for the CG (whether for the Ground or for a "never say never" housing development planning gain)?

My view is because he sees a better possibility for a profit for himself - through STFC - in either selling the club with freehold ownership or benefitting from a planning gain with a third party of his own choosing. 

This does not make Power a monster but it would not be in STFC's best interests

My preferred outcomes, in this order

1 Trust acquires freehold
2 SBC retains freehold
3 STFC acquires freehold

I tend to agree with PaulD, Audrey and Reg etc on this issue but as Reg and others note the Trust's limited communication requires powerful and timely correction. 

Disagree, Trust owning it is only of any use if they have the funds to redevelop it otherwise it's status quo just with the Trust being the landlord rather than the council. A couple of million is one thing, the cost of redevelopment is quite another.
Also as the trust was on about us purchasing shares does that mean the ground would effectively be owned by whoever their backer is rather than the Trust itself or is it a donation? Just as many if not more questions about a Trust purchase especially when it comes to long term relationship with the club and the cost of redevelopment.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 19:28:50 »

Disagree, Trust owning it is only of any use if they have the funds to redevelop it otherwise it's status quo just with the Trust being the landlord rather than the council. A couple of million is one thing, the cost of redevelopment is quite another.
Also as the trust was on about us purchasing shares does that mean the ground would effectively be owned by whoever their backer is rather than the Trust itself or is it a donation? Just as many if not more questions about a Trust purchase especially when it comes to long term relationship with the club and the cost of redevelopment.

From today's adver article

The new development came nearly six months after the Trust, having spent £30,000 in fees conducting due diligence on the purchase plan, submitted a proposal to the Borough Council including a financial offer and details of a major third-party fully-funded stadium plan to begin once planning permission had been granted

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15864694.Trust_STFC_confident_over_County_Ground_freehold_plans/?ref=mr&lp=7
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 19:35:07 »

It’s in effect Chelski in reverse if the trust manage to get the freehold.
Flashheart

« Reply #112 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 19:36:04 »

Could you imagine if Power said that, though:

"It's alright guys. I've got a major third-party fully-funded stadium plan to begin once planning permission had been granted". What kind of reaction would there be to that?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 19:46:52 »

A meaningless statement as doesn’t give any details of what they class as the redevelopment and what said third party would want. The Trust are meant to be 100% transparent but they’ve made no communications since November, won’t even tell members who the backer(s) is, just feels like a closed shop to me. Also if Power goes ‘get bent I’ll move the club and build my own ground’ what will they do then? Unless they come to a long term agreement with the club it could be equally as disastrous as any of the Power scenarios.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 20:16:41 »

so we have two anonymous  backers, both parties may be bound by non disclosure for all we know.

the trust's comms has been very poor. I know I couldn't do better given work and family commitments.

I'd guess the trust have asked the Eady estate. 100% guess though
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 20:38:10 »

Latest statement from the Trust
 "We are delighted to announce that one of our backers has given us permission to go public - please welcome Mr Firoz Kassam"
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 20:46:49 »

Isn't the Trust board member quoted in the article one of a number of wealthy backers the Trust have mentioned having in the past - coincidence??
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #117 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 21:08:14 »

James Phipps is the owner and CEO of Excaliber. A local company. Probably on a par with Power in the richness stakes.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 21:47:02 »

Wonder if LP old mate Colin Hill is involved
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 22:19:40 »

In reference to the club/owner recognising a need to change tack I think Is quite the correct approach. Who that will benefit in the long term is quite anyone's guess but as the famous quote goes;

"...doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

We have stagnated so much as a club. Regardless of how they are/have doing/done it, look at many of the clubs around us, one thing has stood out. They have changed tack and developed a new stadia. Bristol City, Reading (ugh), Southampton, Bournemouth (more ugh). They've all been in the doldrums like ourselves and yet they've all managed to move on and sustained Tier two or higher. Yes all of those clubs have wealthy backers. We had a wealthy backer in Black, Arbib & co. Infact I think their personal wealth was higher than the likes of Madjeski and the fella at Bristol City. We can bang on about the Madjeski being a soulless field of plastic seats (I bloody hate it and their "fans") but they key thing is, they bring in extra revenue. It's a 24/7 facility. We have buggar all. I love this club as much as any of you here but if ever there was a time for STFC to "move on" now is the time.  Otherwise I feel the club will just run itself into the ground. None of us want that, I'm certain.

We should be a tier two club, there is no doubt. Forget historically we're Tier three. I go through so many clubs that are above us that have "moved on" and I think, we can easily be where they are. Burnley, Cardiff, Swansea, Huddersfield, Brighton, Burton, Hull, Wigan, Shrewsbury. It almost sounds ridiculous how many of these clubs are thriving better than us but they all have a common factor. New ground/redeveloped ground. Pretty much all with extra revenue streams via the club facilities (gyms/5-a-side/spa/hotel/units rented to restaurants and other retail).

I can't wait for all the cunt points btw  Soapy Tit Wank Soapy Tit Wank Soapy Tit Wank Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: