Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 70041 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:49:41 »

Maybe we're just waiting on a certain Aden Flint to be sold...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:50:33 »

If you made that point I must have missed it as it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, more a comment on general social media these last few weeks.

Ah fair enough, it was basically summarising what I said in a way so thought it was aimed at me!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #77 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:51:59 »

Interestingly, the Goddard estate comprised of lands, mentioned in Domesday, as belonging to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux. He's in the Tapestry, cracking Saxon skulls with a large wooden cross, as peaceful priests weren't allowed a sword.
Yes I remember reading that somewhere, may have been when we stayed in the Goddard Arms, as horlock says the tapestry coming to the UK is a sign!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:53:13 »

Interestingly, the Goddard estate comprised of lands, mentioned in Domesday, as belonging to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux. He's in the Tapestry, cracking Saxon skulls with a large wooden cross, as peaceful priests weren't allowed a sword.

You might presume that the Normans put the feudal system into place, and so much of the land ownership we have today comes from The Conquest, but not really so, the Normans just imposed themselves on an existing feudal pattern. Swindon had been held by Wadard, pre 1066.
Nice to get some reminiscences from your childhood, Reg Smiley

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:55:04 »

As it's the current shambles of a council deciding I expect them to completely fuck this up.
I worry that one man will do very well out of it when, to be frank, they shouldn't. It's not the council's to give away unless it benefits the town, and not just those who go to football, or the man who owns the football club at the time of sale.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:55:46 »

I take the point that doing nothing is no longer an option if we wish to sustain league football at the CG into the future.  However such is the break between club and fans, I'm not sure there is much heart left in the fan base if the worst comes to the worst.

It'll be a shame to see the Club go, as the CG must be one of the oldest grounds in the country.

A classic "Reg-ism".  One for the forum archive.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:55:50 »

However such is the break between club and fans, I'm not sure there is much heart left in the fan base if the worst comes to the worst.

It'll be a shame to see the Club go, as the CG must be one of the oldest grounds in the country.

As a fan from afar, is this 'break' as severe as many purveyors of doom (or dome) like to make it out to be, crowds are dropping, but have they really dropped any lower than one would expect from a recently relegated D4 club, I cannot imagine we were getting this many in the early 80's when we were down in the depths, we presently have the 5th highest average home attendance in the league (a level that would put us mid table for average attendances if we were in League 1 this year).

Yes the surveys on here for attendance show season ticket levels and attendance among posters dropping, but is that not more to do with demographics of this forum, I don't see loads of young new posters turning up here, but they are possibly getting the bug as happens with natural changes and whats sustaining the crowds etc?

Perhaps the forum needs to have a recruitment drive to get more posters in, get rid of some dead wood (now's no time for sentiment) and get some fresh blood in to take things forward.  Hmmm Wink
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 12:00:36 by horlock07 » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:59:36 »

So is the Tapestry coming to the UK a sign?

This would be a sign....

Next due 2061
Peter Venkman

« Reply #83 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 12:05:18 »

This would be a sign....

Next due 2061
Thats not a sign....this is a sign....

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 12:10:38 »

A lot of people are assuming they the worst case scenario here.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #85 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 12:13:05 »

Its the Swindon way, what with our track record and fans faith in the owner, then again its like that with any new signing we have too.

Negativity at Swindon far far outweighs any possible positivity.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 12:26:00 »

Certain posters, guess who, thrive in it.

Most people are rational and are waiting for more detail before claiming the club is on the brink of extinction.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 12:40:29 »

I don't think there's that many assuming the worst case. But I think there's plenty (and I'd include myself in this) who are wary that there could be a downside to what initially sounds like a good thing, and no more than that. Given our history, it's sensible to be aware surely?
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 12:59:39 »

Just popped up on my facebook. Fair play to you optomists, but looks like the begining of the end for me.

Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 13:07:01 »

I don't think there's that many assuming the worst case. But I think there's plenty (and I'd include myself in this) who are wary that there could be a downside to what initially sounds like a good thing, and no more than that. Given our history, it's sensible to be aware surely?

This.

I was one who thought many years ago that a new ground was needed and out of the clutches of the council was the way to go. It never happened, so this could be the answer or it could be a total disaster, as usual only time will tell.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: