Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 69167 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 09:51:52 »

Domesday is approaching.

What are the club planning to do a massive nationwide survey and write a book? They shouldn't waste money on that, the government will be holding a census in 3 years time....
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:00:46 »

When Fitton did the same no one seemed to act like this. Must be because he smiled a bit and spoke more

This. The statement says the football club have made an offer, not lee power. I understand caution at the news, this level of negativity outright is a bit silly though

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:01:42 »

Quote from: Panda Paws
Very skeptical but also lots of assumptions being made here.

exactly.

no information and a vague statement is all there is.

Not surprised people think the worst, but until the details are known nobody knows if this is good or bad.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:10:34 »

Swindon fans aren't generally negative.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:14:40 »

I don't understand the distinction various people have made between the club and LP (as in "it's not the club buying the ground, it's Lee Power").  Lee Power is the owner and hence effectively he is the club.  He could shut Swindon Town down tomorrow if he chose.  That's the same for any club that isn't owned by a supporters trust.

As said already, he is in it to make money, the question is how he plans to do that.  If it is by getting the club into (say) the Championship and then selling up at a nice profit, as he has always stated, then that would be great.  Clearly if he has changed tack and is now seeking to asset strip the club, sell the CG for building and close down the football club, then not so great.

Buying the CG is consistent with turning the club into a saleable asset as a football club.  I think that we can trust LP about as much as we can trust any owner who isn't a fan.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:20:26 »

This. The statement says the football club have made an offer, not lee power. I understand caution at the news, this level of negativity outright is a bit silly though

The point has been made often enough, that as a result of historical circumstances the link between club and community has been broken.  In the old sense that club no longer exists. Power is the owner that is all that counts. Should he get to own the ground as Audrey says our future will be called into question.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:29:43 »

I wonder if people would think the same if it was ol Jed... Power is made out to be the bad guy all the time, but never gets any credit.
I think there's understandable caution because of Jed. If the club had owned the ground when he took over, we wouldn't have a ground now.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:30:26 »

When Fitton did the same no one seemed to act like this. Must be because he smiled a bit and spoke more
And he didn't have a track record of previous involvement in property deals that didn't go well for the clubs concerned
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:35:53 »

Power is looking towards an end game I think. Abandoning the 'Swindon way' and now talk of owning & possibly renovating the stadium seems to point that way. A club that owns its own, modern(ish) stadium will cost a lot more to a buyer than we will currently. Just my assumption, not really based on anything other than what I've seen... The fact he was so proactive for years and now has completely taken a back seat COULD mean he's lost a bit of interest.

Of course, if it does pan out this way and he does sell us, we could be attractive to the wrong type of person...
Flashheart

« Reply #54 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:36:46 »

Cos we’re in L2 due to not giving a flying fuck attitude

Are we? How would anybody know he has such an attitude? As far as I can tell, we're here because of poor decision making, not because he doesn't give a fuck.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:40:56 »

Power is looking towards an end game I think. Abandoning the 'Swindon way' and now talk of owning & possibly renovating the stadium seems to point that way. A club that owns its own, modern(ish) stadium will cost a lot more to a buyer than we will currently. Just my assumption, not really based on anything other than what I've seen... The fact he was so proactive for years and now has completely taken a back seat COULD mean he's lost a bit of interest.

Of course, if it does pan out this way and he does sell us, we could be attractive to the wrong type of person...

Spot on. In all regards
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:42:33 »

Power saw the "Swindon Way" as a means of making money, which after all was his stated objective. Similarly he stated that he had no interest in ground redevelopment etc.  It is surely not coincidence that at the time when we've no playing assets to sell, due to Power's poor recruitment decisions, and the Trust reveal what looks like a decent price for the CG... Power suddenly is interested in a property deal.

We need to hear from the Trust on this....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:46:36 »

my take on Power slipping into the background was to arrest fanbase decline, and also that continuing in the same way would have us in the conference sooner or later.

but yeah, could be he's had enough here.

interesting times
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:53:41 »

Power saw the "Swindon Way" as a means of making money, which after all was his stated objective. Similarly he stated that he had no interest in ground redevelopment etc.  It is surely not coincidence that at the time when we've no playing assets to sell, due to Power's poor recruitment decisions, and the Trust reveal what looks like a decent price for the CG... Power suddenly is interested in a property deal.

We need to hear from the Trust on this....
Good luck with that. I just cancelled my membership actually with the guys, been really disappointing over the last 12 months with their lack of communication with the fans,ironically lack of communication is the one thing they were on about trying to address with the club. It's a shame really.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:58:09 »

Good luck with that. I just cancelled my membership actually with the guys, been really disappointing over the last 12 months with their lack of communication with the fans,ironically lack of communication is the one thing they were on about trying to address with the club. It's a shame really.

Having the commitment to voluntarily run something like the Trust is difficult... it's entirely possible that has now gone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: