Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 69562 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:56:24 »

In 1911 we were one of the leading non league clubs in the country.
Yet we only averaged under 6k for home attendances in the 1910/11 when we won the Southern League.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:01:41 »

Who knows though, silly example I had various family members included in that 70's figure, i now have no family links to Swindon as everyone moved away after the works closed?

Swindon seems to suffer a lot of population churn due to its employment types and opportunity?

In 1911 we still had an empire and a booming homegrown industrial base... Perhaps Brexit and the return to insular greatness will provide the opportunities to bring Swindon Town back to those lofty heights?

There's quite a lot of out of town support, I come from Calne and know of a few town fans there
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:08:53 »

Problem solved, perhaps he is one of the out of town supporters?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5303543/Brazil-icon-Ronaldo-considering-buying-Championship-club.html
Peter Venkman

« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:10:06 »

Problem solved, perhaps he is one of the out of town supporters?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5303543/Brazil-icon-Ronaldo-considering-buying-Championship-club.html
I saw that and thought....maybe? yes we are a bit lower than the Championship but we have "potential" Wink

The S*n has the quote
Pressed on whether he had anyone in mind, he added: "I am thinking about buying a lower league team in Spain or England.

Not specifying Championship level.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:15:38 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:20:52 »

There's quite a lot of out of town support, I come from Calne and know of a few town fans there

I travel in from Wokingham (although I was Swindon born and raised). I know of at least one other (who used to post on this forum!) and I've seen a couple of Town fans at Reading getting the train too. Similarly, my mother is a season ticket holder and she travels in from Oxfordshire with a couple of people.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:25:10 »

I travel in from Wokingham (although I was Swindon born and raised). I know of at least one other (who used to post on this forum!) and I've seen a couple of Town fans at Reading getting the train too. Similarly, my mother is a season ticket holder and she travels in from Oxfordshire with a couple of people.
Historically Swindon does have a massive catchment area but also as you state fans from further afield too, when we played at Wembley last time I got on the train in Yeovil and was one of about 15 on the same train, another 10 or so at Sherborne and more at Salisbury too.

We have always has a catchment area that includes large followings from Calne, Chippenham, Stroud, Cirencester, Warminster, Hungerford, Newbury, Malmesbury, Andover, Faringdon, Wantage and many other villages too.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:30:31 »

Yet we only averaged under 6k for home attendances in the 1910/11 when we won the Southern League.

The figures on swindon-town aren't accurate, they all end in 000.  A more accurate indicator of our status was the Cup quarter final v Chelsea,  77,952.

Our status was reflected in the FA asking STFC to travel to Argentina to do missionary work... introduce them to the beautiful game, I like to think of Leo Messi as the heir to Harold Fleming.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:38:35 »

The figures on swindon-town aren't accurate, they all end in 000.  A more accurate indicator of our status was the Cup quarter final v Chelsea,  77,952.

We will bow down to your eye witness knowledge....  Grin Hmmm
Peter Venkman

« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:41:13 »

The figures on swindon-town aren't accurate, they all end in 000.  A more accurate indicator of our status was the Cup quarter final v Chelsea,  77,952.

Our status was reflected in the FA asking STFC to travel to Argentina to do missionary work... introduce them to the beautiful game, I like to think of Leo Messi as the heir to Harold Fleming.
Pretty sure Green and Hillier weren't the first "creative" chairman when it came to attendances!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:43:09 by Peter Venkman » Logged

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:44:01 »

Historically Swindon does have a massive catchment area but also as you state fans from further afield too, when we played at Wembley last time I got on the train in Yeovil and was one of about 15 on the same train, another 10 or so at Sherborne and more at Salisbury too.

We have always has a catchment area that includes large followings from Calne, Chippenham, Stroud, Cirencester, Warminster, Hungerford, Newbury, Malmesbury, Andover, Faringdon, Wantage and many other villages too.

But the case in point remains that there is limited engagement between the club and the town and that cannot wholly be blamed on recent things or Power.

From up here all the clubs mentioned seem to almost represent the town on a regional level, that doesn't seem to be the case with Swindon, perhaps its because the traditional rivals are either modern or a distance away. For instance to illustrate the division between Burnley and Blackburn or Preston and Blackpool normally it will be illustrated in football terms, but in those cases the settlements are very close and thus this helps foster the pride in our team to get one over on those bastards, perhaps our infamous catchment area is part of the problem, as we don't have the local battles to get the juices flowing?

Its all very hypothetical, but ultimately certain towns population have pride in their teams and Swindon doesn't for whatever reason?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:50:16 »

Its all very hypothetical, but ultimately certain towns population have pride in their teams and Swindon doesn't for whatever reason?
This is a major problem.

Swindon as a town has been portrayed in the media in a very negative light over the years and there seems to be little pride in the town from most of its residents, mostly I find the pride comes from those who have long left its boundaries.

I am fiercely proud of Swindon, the town and the club but I haven't lived there in 20 years.

Town pride first, then club pride may follow, the club has done little to rekindle the spirit or 1969 and probably won't.

I agree with what you are saying about the teams mentioned, there is a massive local pride/club pride with most teams but for some reason I don't see a lot of it now with Swindon, and as you state thats not Powers doing its been like that since the Premier League years if not before then.

Flashheart

« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:10:28 »

I honestly could not name any one thing about Swindon that I miss, apart from certain people. Any one thing that I might name can be satisfied in any other town in the country. It's just... meh! It's not as bad as many make it out to be, but the meh-ness is off the scale. If I do, for whatever reason, end up returning to Britain permanently, I can imagine myself staying elsewhere.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:12:42 »

I honestly could not name any one thing about Swindon that I miss, apart from certain people. Any one thing that I might name can be satisfied in any other town in the country. It's just... meh! It's not as bad as many make it out to be, but the meh-ness is off the scale. If I do, for whatever reason, end up returning to Britain permanently, I can imagine myself staying elsewhere.

You could say the same about any town in the UK, pretty much. Which other similarly sized town has more uniqueness then?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:16:58 »

This is a major problem.

Swindon as a town has been portrayed in the media in a very negative light over the years and there seems to be little pride in the town from most of its residents, mostly I find the pride comes from those who have long left its boundaries.

I am fiercely proud of Swindon, the town and the club but I haven't lived there in 20 years.

Town pride first, then club pride may follow, the club has done little to rekindle the spirit or 1969 and probably won't.

I agree with what you are saying about the teams mentioned, there is a massive local pride/club pride with most teams but for some reason I don't see a lot of it now with Swindon, and as you state thats not Powers doing its been like that since the Premier League years if not before then.

Absolutely spot on, this. Seems to be lots of people who live in Swindon but have very little pride in or connection with the town, it's just a place where they have their house because it's where they ended up or convenient for commuting and affordable. I used to have a house in Bracknell (wouldn't say I lived there because I really just slept there during the week) and felt much the same.
Flashheart

« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:17:13 »

You could say the same about any town in the UK, pretty much. Which other similarly sized town has more uniqueness then?

I dunno, ask the people that live there. I'm just passing on my thoughts on the town I did live in which are, very much, meh! There are others with a similar reputation, not not all.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: