Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VAR  (Read 8500 times)
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:01:33 »

So what do people think about this one?  Correct decision in the end but I wouldn't have been too upset with the original offside decision!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42712751

Amir

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:17:17 »

Definite no.Whatsmore by using it in some FA Cup games and not others is farcical as the teams involved have an unfair advantage.

There's no advantage because teams in games where its used are as less likely to have incorrect decisions given in their favour, as they are correct ones.

I'm not bothered so long as it's used quickly and infrequently.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:20:52 »

So what do people think about this one?  Correct decision in the end but I wouldn't have been too upset with the original offside decision!

Was a tight one, but overruling a wrong decision with a right one is what its for so has done its purpose with little noticeable delay.

Finally gave the BT sport commentators a chance to reach the vinegar strokes with it so hopefully they will calm down a bit now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:29:30 »

It did throw up the obvious anomaly, that it is meant to be used only for clear and obvious errors. That wasn't. Many offsides are similarly tight, so pretty much any goal will now be reviewed.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:48:25 »

I think the Leicester goal shows the benefit of it. These things can cost a cup run, a trophy or a promotion.

It did throw up the obvious anomaly, that it is meant to be used only for clear and obvious errors. That wasn't. Many offsides are similarly tight, so pretty much any goal will now be reviewed.
It's not only to be used for clear and obvious errors though is it? It's only allowed to overturn a clear and obvious error. And the error was clear and obvious with the benefit of the VAR.

I agree it needs to be restricted to some extent, but checking a tight call for an offside goal is definitely a good use of it, as would reviewing whether or not somebody has dived for a penalty.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:59:24 »

I think the Leicester goal shows the benefit of it. These things can cost a cup run, a trophy or a promotion.
It's not only to be used for clear and obvious errors though is it? It's only allowed to overturn a clear and obvious error. And the error was clear and obvious with the benefit of the VAR.

I agree it needs to be restricted to some extent, but checking a tight call for an offside goal is definitely a good use of it, as would reviewing whether or not somebody has dived for a penalty.

The system is in its infancy.  I'm just saying that wasn't a clear and obvious error, it was so tight. You might argue it was an error because it was so tight the benefit is supposed to go to the attacker, which would be fair enough.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 13:26:02 »

Think eventually it will be a bit like cricket, in that big decisions will get reviewed (penalties, offside goals & red cards).

In cricket they now seem to check for a no ball on the fall of a wicket all the time.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 13:27:45 »

In cricket they now seem to check for a no ball on the fall of a wicket all the time.

That's a weird one though as the umpires just seem to have given up enforcing the no ball rule...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:58:13 »

Think eventually it will be a bit like cricket, in that big decisions will get reviewed (penalties, offside goals & red cards).

I the same way, more or less all run outs and stumpings are reviewed.  The officials don't want to be seen to be wrong. It works in cricket as it's a slow/stop start sort of game.

It will probably be used in the summer WC..... in Portugal during their experiment, conspiracy theories developed about corruption in its use. I don't suppose the Russians would do anything like that, any more  than FIFA would let them Smiley

Interestingly, there are no English refs in the summer, one of only 2 countries who have full time top flight refs.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 15:26:19 »

That's it then, no English Refs must mean...we're going to win the World Cup  No No

VAR has a place I think and it's always going to be controversial in the early days. Most new things people don't like, even when they "like" them! However, I'd prefer to see any new systems, technology implemented from the bottom up. That way, orgs like FIFA, UEFA, and the National associations can see how it works then invite the equivalent of the Football League, etc. nationally to trial the tech. Funded by the FA. Once the "bigger boys" ie, the Prem see it being used and potentially well and efficient. We can talk about costs all day but there is enough money in football to run many countries, so being innovative with new tech and starting bottom up would not be a problem. As always the "money problem" comes from the top end who are too busy stashing it into their offshore pension funds.

This will never happen though because too many "important" people have their fingers in proverbial pies.

I think VAR will end up used more like the Rugby Union system and that seems to work pretty well (that's where opinion comes in, I guess) but I agree with certain comments that maybe the teams are only given 1 or 2 challenges/reviews per half, whilst the ref can, at his own discretion review any "game changing" scenarios whereby there is reasonable doubt (the Leicester offside was a great example; Thierry Henry's handball vs Rep Ireland, Frank Lampard's non-goal v Germany 2010, Maradonna's "Hand of God", Englands game changing goal vs Germany in '66, and so on).

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 15:29:29 »

That's it then, no English Refs must mean...we're going to win the World Cup  No No

VAR has a place I think and it's always going to be controversial in the early days. Most new things people don't like, even when they "like" them! However, I'd prefer to see any new systems, technology implemented from the bottom up. That way, orgs like FIFA, UEFA, and the National associations can see how it works then invite the equivalent of the Football League, etc. nationally to trial the tech. Funded by the FA. Once the "bigger boys" ie, the Prem see it being used and potentially well and efficient. We can talk about costs all day but there is enough money in football to run many countries, so being innovative with new tech and starting bottom up would not be a problem. As always the "money problem" comes from the top end who are too busy stashing it into their offshore pension funds.

This will never happen though because too many "important" people have their fingers in proverbial pies.

I think VAR will end up used more like the Rugby Union system and that seems to work pretty well (that's where opinion comes in, I guess) but I agree with certain comments that maybe the teams are only given 1 or 2 challenges/reviews per half, whilst the ref can, at his own discretion review any "game changing" scenarios whereby there is reasonable doubt (the Leicester offside was a great example; Thierry Henry's handball vs Rep Ireland, Frank Lampard's non-goal v Germany 2010, Maradonna's "Hand of God", Englands game changing goal vs Germany in '66, and so on).

It has been trialled from the bottom up as such, in more obscure leagues like the US.  As things stand the players cannot challenge.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 15:36:34 »

It has been trialled from the bottom up as such, in more obscure leagues like the US.  As things stand the players cannot challenge.

That's great that the US have implemented it bottom up but would've been nice to see an international standard on this tech. I know they can't but they should be able to ask for a review or two. Ultimately the final call still falls to the Ref on the pitch. Even with all the evidence presented to him, he makes the final decision.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 16:12:36 »

We went to watch Dortmund at home earlier this season & there were two decisions that were referred to the VAR in that game. Both were penalty decisions, one was originally given and the other not.

Didn’t seem to take that long & other than a VAR message on screen nothing else was shown (they didn’t show replays of the incidents). Have to say it seemed to work ok there
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 16:19:17 »

Are we getting a screen then? 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 16:19:31 »

We went to watch Dortmund at home earlier this season & there were two decisions that were referred to the VAR in that game. Both were penalty decisions, one was originally given and the other not.

Didn’t seem to take that long & other than a VAR message on screen nothing else was shown (they didn’t show replays of the incidents). Have to say it seemed to work ok there

You'd imagine the Germans would get this sort of thing right, not so sure about the Italians  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: