Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
VAR
« on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 10:46:13 »

Thoughts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 10:54:45 »

The fact that so called football experts / retired professionals can't agree on incidents, having had the benefit of watching replays numerous times means it's not the magic answer to anything. I like the fact that referee's make mistakes as these type of talking points are part of the game aren't they?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:01:39 »

The fact that so called football experts / retired professionals can't agree on incidents, having had the benefit of watching replays numerous times means it's not the magic answer to anything. I like the fact that referee's make mistakes as these type of talking points are part of the game aren't they?

These 'experts' aren't as clued up on the current laws of the game as a trained professional though - and if this professional gives the decision one way then VAR allows them to make a decision that should be respected by both teams, pundits and fans alike. Not agreeing with it because of personal feelings, or how things used to be, then becomes moot.

It's impossible to get EVERYTHING right and to eliminate all mistakes, but it will mean that there will now be less mistakes and the big decisions are more likely to be correct. Should help stop abuse of referees as well. I hate the feeling of injustice after losing thanks to a shite referee decision.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:13:14 »

The decision after trials is coming up. I think it'll get the nod.  I'd like to know if it will operate in Div 4, or is the tech too expensive?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:16:26 »

meh, it's a no from me
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:17:45 »

It will be the same as the current goal line technology. Us peasants down in the lower leagues won’t see the benefits unless we have a good cup run.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:18:53 »

The decision after trials is coming up. I think it'll get the nod.  I'd like to know if it will operate in Div 4, or is the tech too expensive?

I doubt we'll get anything for the next few years. I imagine the Championship will get it not long after the Prem.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:25:24 »

It will be the same as the current goal line technology. Us peasants down in the lower leagues won’t see the benefits unless we have a good cup run.

Rules us out then.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:26:01 »

One of footballs major advantages over a lot of other team sports is that it’s fast and fluid. I don’t see how pausing the game for 2-3 minutes multiple times a game makes it a better spectacle. When it’s implemented (it will be, there’s too much money in the game for things to be left to chance anymore) it should be on a ‘one challenge per half’ basis, or similar.

Things get better but they never get good
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:31:33 »

Its hard to have an opinion about var because that opinion will be different depending on the outcome.
If VAR help your team to disallow  an opponent goal then yay, its great but put the shoe on the other foot and its your teams goal that was disallowed when in normal circumstanced it would have stood then its the worse invention in football.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:37:55 »

Thoughts?

Yeah, what's VAR? Video assisted refereeing?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:39:13 »

Dodgy/incorrect decisions is part of the game for me.

Fans would be lost without a good old moan about the ref costing them points
adje

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:55:06 »

Definite no.Whatsmore by using it in some FA Cup games and not others is farcical as the teams involved have an unfair advantage.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:57:04 »

It depends on how it's used.  If it's used quickly to overturn obvious (and therefore infrequent) potential 'match-changing' mistakes, it'll be OK. But, if it's used to 'nit-pick' every contentious decision, then they can fuck right off!  

And, of course, it's going to give players even more opportunities to gang up on referees to try to persuade them to review things. Anyone remember when they said they were going to put a stop to that and limit it to team captains only?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:57:28 »

Yeah, what's VAR? Video assisted refereeing?

Smiley

Something like that... it's been trialled in various leagues around the planet for a while now and a Belgian professor gets the final call. We've had it in a couple of cup games here since the turn of the year.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: