Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wi Fi  (Read 2648 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Sunday, January 14, 2018, 21:23:05 »

My monthly question regarding such matters...

I could do with stretching the reach of our bt Wi-Fi by about 15 metres for a short period, I have built an office in the garden and it will be getting a phone line in due course but till then could do with getting the household available out there, is there an easy and cheap way of doing this?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 14, 2018, 22:11:30 »

Can you not buy a usb dongle transmitter to extend or failing that use an old router (if you have one) and use as an APN. Should give enough coverage?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 14, 2018, 22:12:41 »

Whatever you do, do not buy the plug in extenders. They are crap. Just get yourself a better AP/Router.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 14, 2018, 22:55:32 »

talking of which, any recommendations for a modem/router that will work with BT fiber. the home hub is a bag of shit.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 15, 2018, 08:17:27 »

Whatever you do, do not buy the plug in extenders. They are crap. Just get yourself a better AP/Router.

Living in an old place we can’t get a WiFi signal in the back of the flat. So bought an extender over the weekend. Seems to do the trick so far. Have you had issues with them before?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 15, 2018, 10:42:37 »

talking of which, any recommendations for a modem/router that will work with BT fiber. the home hub is a bag of shit.

Don’t know if it’s of any use, but out bt router was a few generations old and was giving us problems with dropping out quite frequently. we upgraded to their latest one (for an extra £2.50 a month) and I’ve noticed a marked improvement. I initially thought they were just trying to upsell / mug me off, but a quick google suggests their latest router is genuinely good

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 15, 2018, 10:59:55 »

thanks Dave. I think I'm out of contact in May, so will try to tough it out until then. then use it as part of a negotiating tactic.

the issue I have is the 2.4ghz WiFi seems to drop. actually drop is wrong, it shuts off and you need to restart to get it back.

got a replacement hub free, doing same as old one so may be an incompatibility with a device and the hh5. who knows.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 15, 2018, 11:05:15 »

Power line adaptor?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 17:56:59 »

Right, instead we have lain an Ethernet cable plugged into the back of the router running up the underground duct and into the office. However in the office I want to plug 2-3 things in, laptop, printer, phone do I need something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B0000E5SES/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516730172&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ethernet+switch+4+port&psc=1
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 18:06:17 »

Yep

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 19:02:14 »

Any unmanaged ethernet switch will do, Netgear is a good brand although you can almost certainly get a cheaper one that will do the same thing.

I've got a PoE 8 port Netgear myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: