Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town 8 Bury 0 - 8 December 1979  (Read 7755 times)
ekarot

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 21:36:44 »

Oh and David peach was as big a waste of money as jason drysdale ( who once bought me beer all night at the tavern melksham ) joey cry baby beau champ and Glenn cocker ill
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, December 14, 2017, 01:05:17 »

I loved Miller one of my favourite wingers alongside Bobby Barnes, only played well at home though apart from away at Brentford that season where he was like a man possesed.

I was in the Town End for the Bury game too, their keeper John Forrest kept the score down below a cricket score that day.

My God we were so good when playing like that under Smith, for me as good as anything we saw under Ardiles, Hoddle etc when it was going well, away from home was a different matter though where we crumbled too often under slight pressure.

With the possible exception of Russell Lewis at right back who for me was a better centre back, any of that side would walk into almost any Swindon team since then.

Jimmy ALLAN   
Russell LEWIS   
Andy FORD   
Ray MCHALE   
Billy TUCKER   
Ken STROUD   
Ian MILLER   
Chris KAMARA   
Andy ROWLAND   
Alan MAYES   
Brian WILLIAMS   
Substitutes
Roy CARTER

I remember those days - Miller & Williams pouring down the wings, McHale creating everything and big Chris Kamara bossing the midfield.
And I haven't even mentioned Rowland/Mayes up front, and Stroudy at the back.

We were spoilt in them days
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, December 14, 2017, 12:18:49 »

For those of us of a certain age this was the first half decent team we'd ever seen, having had to live with the fact that we'd missed the '69 era yet had to live with being reminded of it week in week out by the slightly older generation. Before Macari turned the club round my mates and I used to refer to '79/80 reverentially as 'The Season' and we never believed we'd see the likes again. The biggest crowds we were now seeing had become those for the annual firework display in November!
Hopefully the lesson for us all now is to hang on in there and hope?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, December 14, 2017, 13:17:00 »

Spare a thought for the previous season 78-79 as well.

Three points for a win would have seen us promoted.
Or a win & a draw from the final two games.
Ending the season with 3 away games was always going to be difficult though.
So near and yet so far in the pre play off years.

The cup runs of 79-80 were a fantastic experience.
Well remember the second goal against Wolves and still celebrating on the Stratton Bank when Rowland so nearly made it three.
A couple of Noddy Holder lookalike Wolves fans turned around, shaking their heads and saying that a one goal lead would not be enough.
Sadly they were proved correct but maybe not in the manner they had envisaged.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, December 15, 2017, 01:01:33 »

Great thread, great memories. I was on the Stratton bank for that one. Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: