Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Notts County Matchday Thread  (Read 23189 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 15:40:56 »

Not if they’ve looked at our videos, they won’t!
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 15:50:48 »

As others have mentioned Vigs has been very ordinary this season, not got close to the heights of last season.  Don't think it's a coincidence that our better form this season has been when RCC has been in the team, was he not in goal for all games in the 6 match winning streak in October/November?

Personally i believe Vigs is comfortably the better of the two. But what you say is true. My problem with the above is ultimately its down to the manager to get the best out of the players. Flitcroft has one style and buys the players that should fit that style, which makes sense. He can't manage individuals as is seen in Vigs, its a weakness in his management. A good manager would get the best out of all the players. Take Goddard, we signed him on the back on a great conference season he had at Woking, he struggle in league one but certainly has ability, in some games he looked very good, i remember Charlton at home specifically. He should be a very good player at this level, he has the technique and skill to do what not many can in this shit league. Flitcroft isn't interested, no matter how hard he works. He makes positive noises to the media and fails to use them, much like Thomas (who would be right in amongst it now).

Its sad to me that we have a manager who is basically a bully and has little discernible interest in ball playing individuals, and just wants 10 runners, chasers, cloggers. If it gets us out of the league then fair enough some will say. This season is without doubt the worst i've witnessed in 30 years of following the town.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 16:08:19 »

Personally i believe Vigs is comfortably the better of the two. But what you say is true. My problem with the above is ultimately its down to the manager to get the best out of the players. Flitcroft has one style and buys the players that should fit that style, which makes sense. He can't manage individuals as is seen in Vigs, its a weakness in his management. A good manager would get the best out of all the players. Take Goddard, we signed him on the back on a great conference season he had at Woking, he struggle in league one but certainly has ability, in some games he looked very good, i remember Charlton at home specifically. He should be a very good player at this level, he has the technique and skill to do what not many can in this shit league. Flitcroft isn't interested, no matter how hard he works. He makes positive noises to the media and fails to use them, much like Thomas (who would be right in amongst it now).

Its sad to me that we have a manager who is basically a bully and has little discernible interest in ball playing individuals, and just wants 10 runners, chasers, cloggers. If it gets us out of the league then fair enough some will say. This season is without doubt the worst i've witnessed in 30 years of following the town.
In my opinion last season was considerably worse than this. Total fucking bellends like boo and colkett. Sherwood etc. Williams being totally fucking clueless and dictator power letting it all happen. Last season was one of total fucking helplessness. We all knew what would happen and it did. Don't get me wrong I think flitcroft is a cliche pillock and the football has been shit but we are at least competing. I'm probably easily pleased but my expectation was top 10 outside play offs. Flitcroft had a hell of a job to lay the ghost of last season which was a total fucking joke and shambolic
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 16:39:52 »

In my opinion last season was considerably worse than this.

If you go back 30 years which I make about 1987, we've had a number of sides way worse than this season's lot. Ok some of them were in a higher Div, like some of the McMahon offerings of the late 90's, the Admin sides of the early 00's.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 16:57:58 »

If you go back 30 years which I make about 1987, we've had a number of sides way worse than this season's lot. Ok some of them were in a higher Div, like some of the McMahon offerings of the late 90's, the Admin sides of the early 00's.

You have to include context. McMahons dodgy teams played in what is now the championship, they would shit all over this team. How many worse sides have we had in Div 2?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 17:19:22 »

How many worse sides have we had in Div 2?

League 2/Div 4? Or Championship/Div2?

Assuming div 4, I've only seen us here twice. Obviously the final edition of the PDC year can be excluded. Under Wise/Sturrock we had some average players, but we also had a few quality players that can turn a match too.

So out of those two teams, both of whom got promoted, this is the worst at this level.

But in relative terms, i.e. bad in context of the league they are in, I agree last years was worse.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 17:22:37 »

The only manager’s head I’ve actually hollered for at a game was McMahon. You could see what was coming a mile off.

Luke was given no chance last season, what with Power’s way of doing things.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 17:24:33 »

You have to include context. McMahons dodgy teams played in what is now the championship, they would shit all over this team. How many worse sides have we had in Div 2?

I did say some were in a higher Div, which should be taken into account, however take something like 97/98 McMahon side, latter season 3 wins in 25, only one at the CG , a comedy gold dire mid week game v Stoke.  Only scored about a dozen goals in that time, and only 2 once... a game about which I was reminiscing, with a TEFer of note in the week, away at Loftus Road with the late Alan MacDonald in goal as Fraser was wrongly went off.  The conversation was how sometimes laughter at the ineptitude is the only survival mechanism.

We used to run a sweep, what minute it would be for the first shot on target. It was usually deep into the second half if at all.  I'll take some convincing that McMahon's side would beat our present lot, especially if they could be convinced that playing at the CG was away in this case.

That side lost to non league Stevenage in the Cup at least when we did it this season they were a in the same league as us.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 17:25:40 »

Conroy started the season over Robertson. Iandolo has started the past few games. Anderson has started most of the season since he's been here up front. Gordon and Elsnik get plenty of game time when they are fit. They aren't cloggers.

Think it's an unfair comment at best. I get the point - he definitely prefers a certain type of player but it's interesting that his preference of bigger players makes him a bully? We all know Vigs has an attitude problem - so not sure how this makes him a bully. Di Canio was lauded for this approach, and his was much more extreme. Does getting results make you less of a bully?

This will almost certainly be the lowest finish of my lifetime but I can think of seasons I enjoyed far less. Last season was a premium example. A team of ball players playing some of the worst, mistake ridden football I think I've ever seen.
Panda Paws

« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 17:36:56 »

Conroy started the season over Robertson. Iandolo has started the past few games. Anderson has started most of the season since he's been here up front. Gordon and Elsnik get plenty of game time when they are fit. They aren't cloggers.

Think it's an unfair comment at best. I get the point - he definitely prefers a certain type of player but it's interesting that his preference of bigger players makes him a bully? We all know Vigs has an attitude problem - so not sure how this makes him a bully. Di Canio was lauded for this approach, and his was much more extreme. Does getting results make you less of a bully?

This will almost certainly be the lowest finish of my lifetime but I can think of seasons I enjoyed far less. Last season was a premium example. A team of ball players playing some of the worst, mistake ridden football I think I've ever seen.

Lots of good points here Tails.

Yesterday was the first time I'd seen us for a while. Back 3 still hoof it on every occasion, but beyond them, we actually played some pretty good stuff at times.

Vigs is clearly a rotten apple and it's certainly not DF's fault he's behaving like a prick again. He just needs to leave and have done with it. Think he'll end up back in London as back up for a L1 club.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 17:49:04 »

I mean, I know the highlights don't paint a full picture, and theres no question we are more direct but take a look at this... Are we really that reliant on hit & hope? There's a few Town fans on Twitter who lament our lack of goal scoring / chance creation yet we are the top scorers away from home and last time I checked there was only 2 or 3 who've scored more overall. I get the negativity, I do... I walked out of the Luton game absolutely fuming but I just don't understand some of the hysteria.

All our chances, ball is being played on the floor (bar the 2 set piece goals which we all know we are very good at)

Set peices again vital. But the deliveries (well, most of them) are quality.

Set peices... shock. But again, ball is being played accross the floor for the 1st goal and several chances we've had.
Flashheart

« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 17:57:48 »

Set peices... shock. But again, ball is being played accross the floor for the 1st goal and several chances we've had.

Which is why I, and some others, find the hoofball so frustrating. When we keep it down we look quite handy at times, but it still gets hoofed. Not only is it not pretty, but it also seems to be less effective. Although I admit to not having watched the last few games.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 18:01:16 »

The problem is that whoever plays CB has no passing ability, so hoofing it is their only option. I presume the idea is to pick up the pieces further upfield and try and play our football from there rather than our own half.

If we had ball playing CBs we’d still be in Luke country.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 18:13:05 »

Which is why I, and some others, find the hoofball so frustrating. When we keep it down we look quite handy at times, but it still gets hoofed. Not only is it not pretty, but it also seems to be less effective. Although I admit to not having watched the last few games.

Spot on, fella

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 20:33:45 »

I guess at lot depends on your age, but the pre-Macari Div 4 team we had was absolutely dire.

Just checked & in Jan 1984 we lost at home to Chesterfield 2-1 in front of a crowd of less than 4,000.
Our last home game of the season was a 2-0 home win (against Peterborough) in front of a crowd of under 2,000, we finished the season in 17th in Division 4.

So forgive me when I here the whining that this is the worst ever Town team for giving that look that your parents did when you had a tantrum as a kid.

We are four points off automatic promotion, with a game in hand half way through the season, some people need to get a fucking grip
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: