Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Last Jedi ****Spoilers*****  (Read 3682 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 11:27:35 »

The further I am away from being in the cinema the worse I think it was. Enjoyed it a lot whilst watching it but it was nothing like a coherent addition to the existing films.

A spoiler thread would be a good place to go I think...

Discuss..............
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 11:31:38 »

From the minute Leia unconsciously flew through space I knew I'd probably end up disappointed.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 11:39:20 »

Righto. I still have no idea what my overall opinion of the film is as it swung pretty wildly from one scene to another, but here goes.

The Good
  • Everything about the Rey/Ren/Snoke throne room scene, but particularly the duel against the various guards which was beautifully choreographed. In fact pretty much all the battles were really well filmed/directed.
  • Rey's parentage actually not being important
  • Hux/Ren interactions, in fact most Hux stuff as I enjoy him immensely
  • The "light speed through the Imperial fleet scene" was great, especially the (lack of) sound
  • The Leia/Poe bits near the start tearing a strip off him for being reckless
  • The Porgs were pretty cute, even if they definitely only exist for merchandise reasons

The Bad
  • They had no idea what to do with Finn as a character and therefore gave him a weird side plot that didn't really go anywhere other than getting everyone killed unneccessarily.
  • Killing off Admiral Ackbar off screen to introduce another admiral only to kill her off dramatically too - why not just give her (pretty good) plotline to Ackbar?
  • The humour was... weird. Individually some good lines, but it didn't really fit the plot or the Universe (like, does Star Wars have "on hold"? Because that's never really been a thing before.
  • Leia goes Mary Poppins. What the actual fuck was that about? Genuinely worse than anything in the prequel trilogy, including Hayden Christensen

Overall I enjoyed it a lot more at the time than in retrospect. I think that's because it's a fairly ropey plot/idea which is very well executed by a solid group of actors and a good director.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 18, 2017, 11:43:26 by Nemo » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 11:46:34 »

The fin/codebreaker story was stupid and ultimately pointless.

The humour raised giggles but felt out of place at the same time.

Didn't really enjoy the Luke storyline, he deserved a better ending than that.

The toy merchandise bits I endured rather than enjoyed. But didn't really matter to me.

Snoke getting offed was a surprise and done quite well. But did Kylo just let her go, didn't really get explained.

we are back to the familiar rebels v 'I can't believe it's not the empire'. it was always thus but I'd hoped for a better way of getting there... something different.

the broom force boy at the end was interesting.. Could have done with a Jedi master to train them (cough,)

not sure I believe Rae is a nobody.

Will they cover Leia by killing her of between movies?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 11:49:11 »

Excellent post, although with that throne room scene I was disappointed at how easily Snoke was dispatched. Annoying there seems to be no explanation of who he is or where he came from... I suppose there isn't one, and hes just a random powerful old dude who's sole purpose was to serve Ren's story. I thought Kylo Ren / Adam Driver was superb actually. The biggest highlight for me.

Agree about Finn too, that story was nonsense and that DJ character was irritating and unnecessary. The whole 1920's style Vegas planet really made me cringe. Although I oddly enjoyed the weird Kangaroo creatures that made Wookie noises.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 11:50:58 »

Oh and another point. How many times did BB8 save the day? At the last minute too?

The whole bit when Finn was about to be executed... I swear Phasma was right next to him. Next thing you know, that ships been torn to bits and that Phasma marches BACK in?! And then boom shes gone. What a pointless character she was. Felt like they just wanted to reward a successful British actor with a role in a big franchise to be honest.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 12:10:00 »

I was disappointed at how easily Snoke was dispatched. Annoying there seems to be no explanation of who he is or where he came from...

I was wondering about that. I may be giving too much credit but I wondered if this was the dark sides "if you strike me down now I'll become more powerful..." moment. I can't believe they'll leave it at that anyway. I mean Snoke gave it the big un about manipulating Ren, and then gets blindsided at the last minute?? Or are we to believe Ren played the player?

Also, Luke could be a Jedi ghost next film I suppose. If Hammil  hasn't got the hump too much.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 12:47:21 »

I really enjoyed The Force Awakens as it had :

- Introduction of Po/BB8/Finn/Kylo Ren in the first scene
- Introduction of Rey next scene
- The intertwining of the old characters/ships (Han/Chewie/Leia)
- The inevitable "there is a secret way in"   
- The death of Han
- The massive battle/explosion
- The emergence of Rey as a potential Jedi
- The return of Luke

All of which kept in keeping with the original 3 films. TLJ was just a sci fi space film in which the rebels tried to get to a planet without being decimated and done in a similar vain to the prequels.

The return of Luke could have been massive but it was more like Yoda/Dagobah without anti depressants.

The Rey/Kylo/Snoke was a good twist and very well done. And the fact that we got to look at a 30ft version of Daisy Ridley's face when she was learning from Luke was another plus but on the whole I was underwhelmed. 6/10
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 13:47:03 »

Yes it was not quite what was expected, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. I need to watch it again though.

TFA kind of pandered to fans who wanted the nostalgia. TLJ didn't. The biggest complaint in most reviews seems to be that it didn't feel like Star Wars because the story wasn't predictable and the big questions that everybody expected to be answered (who is Snoke, and who are Rey's parents) were shown to be not important. But Luke literally says right at the start “This is not going to go the way you think”.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 09:00:41 »

The biggest complaint in most reviews seems to be that it didn't feel like Star Wars because the story wasn't predictable and the big questions that everybody expected to be answered (who is Snoke, and who are Rey's parents) were shown to be not important.

The problem with the above is that it feels to me very much that TLJ was written by someone completely different to TFA. I have no problems with Rey's parents being nobodies, a bit more of a problem with Snoke being nothing and i suspect the writer of the TFA didn't plan for this to happen. Thats my biggest problem with whats happening to Star wars at the moment, the two films don't feel consistent, they are not act I and II of a three part narrative. Someone has taken over the story and decided to bin a couple of bits they don't like and change its direction (at least thats how it feels).
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 09:21:42 »

How does a Star Wars fan count to 10?

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 8, 10

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 10:44:26 »

The problem with the above is that it feels to me very much that TLJ was written by someone completely different to TFA.

It was, that's the whole point. Rian Johnson was given free reign to do as he see fit for the future of Star Wars. My initial reaction was the same, because it didn't feel comfortable or nostalgic, but I think in the long run it'll be good for the continuation of the franchise.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 11:27:43 »

Listening to an interview of Rian Johnson on the Radio 5 film review show last friday, it seems there was no prerequisite of getting from point A to point B in this film, it was allowed to be much more of a standalone, whilst still sitting within this trilogy. Abrams was still involved in TLJ so there's not a total disconnect to TFA, and I think there will be little things from TLJ that link with bigger plot points in IX. The hyperspace tracking was (very) briefly mentioned in Rogue One.

The outrage over Rey's parentage (or lack thereof) is daft, yes it was kinda built up a little in TFA but Anakin came from fuck all, Rey likewise and the force-sensitive kid at the end seems to be from the same sort of path.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, December 22, 2017, 23:36:51 »

Righto. I still have no idea what my overall opinion of the film is as it swung pretty wildly from one scene to another, but here goes.

The Good
  • Everything about the Rey/Ren/Snoke throne room scene, but particularly the duel against the various guards which was beautifully choreographed. In fact pretty much all the battles were really well filmed/directed.

Seemed strange to me that the guards would fight, why bother? The king is dead, long live the king.[/list]

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: