Poll
Question: Do you think David Flitcroft should be dismissed before the January transfer window if the poor run continues?  (Voting closed: Monday, January 1, 2018, 09:27:14)
Yes - 71 (62.8%)
No - 42 (37.2%)
Total Voters: 100

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: David Flitcroft: Yes or No  (Read 59292 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 14:30:23 »

I don’t know.

If we did get rid of Flitcroft who would we bring in?
I don’t think he will take us up.

The club, as a whole needs a shot in the arm. Top to bottom we’re rotton and mediocre with zero ambition. A melancholic cocktail that basically means we are done as a football club.

So, the original question. Me personally if I felt I could find a better manager Flitcroft would be gone.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 14:40:49 »

I don’t know.

If we did get rid of Flitcroft who would we bring in?
I don’t think he will take us up.

The club, as a whole needs a shot in the arm. Top to bottom we’re rotton and mediocre with zero ambition. A melancholic cocktail that basically means we are done as a football club.

So, the original question. Me personally if I felt I could find a better manager Flitcroft would be gone.

Of course, the reality is that if we did get rid, then Flitters would be just the sort of gaffer we'd need to get in.  Namely, some experience of doing OK in Div 4, cheap and available.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 15:22:32 »

I'm not normally in favour of jettisoning managers who haven't been in the job for long, but I don't think Flitcroft is very good.  If I was Power I would be searching for replacements (Luke Garrard at Boreham Wood might be a shout and a realistic possibility).  I'm generally prejudiced against managers who don't have anything to say other than 'passion', 'commitment' and 'hard work' and I think Flitcroft falls into this camp.  Given that his family still live up north, he was never going to be a long-term solution in any event.  Clearly Flitcroft works hard and is 'committed' to the job, but he seems to lack guile, tactical acumen and a clear blueprint as to how he wants his teams to play in a technical sense.  The fact that he changes his starting XI constantly suggests that he is thrashing around and hoping to stumble upon a solution.  Also spending £350,000 on Kaiyne Woolery is not a mistake that a club like Swindon can really afford to make. I think Woolery has ability (although Swindon clearly overpaid), but he will not be much good in the 'hit and hope' format. 

Ignoring results the football has not improved over the course of the season in a collective sense.  The back four improved when Preston joined and the general fluency slightly with Elsnik, who admittedly is a big miss, but nothing else has.  We play in rigid straight lines and the movement and passing is very poor (even for League 2).  I also think Flitcroft could be making a lot more out of T.Smith, Iandolo and Goddard. 

Of course I want Swindon to win, but I want to see a little more than 'hit and hope'.  I go to games with absolutely no enthusiasm whatsoever. 
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 15:29:57 »

I believe that Flitcroft’s future replacement, whenever that may be, is probably either already at the club or is known to the club.

Alan McLoughlin/Lee Peacock/Matthew Taylor/Paul Bodin

Not that I think it would necessarily would be the right decision.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 15:36:20 »

Put better by someone (can't remember who, maybe RobT), even when we look like winning it's still fucking awful to watch. If I have to watch Flitcoft's team all season I can see myself not going. I'm already leaving early. Can't remember the last time I stayed for the full 90. I hate this league and I hate watching us at the moment.
Flashheart

« Reply #20 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 16:04:03 »

I didn't bother watching on Friday, just didn't fancy it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 16:04:18 »

I believe that Flitcroft’s future replacement, whenever that may be, is probably either already at the club or is known to the club.

Alan McLoughlin/Lee Peacock/Matthew Taylor/Paul Bodin

Not that I think it would necessarily would be the right decision.

If Power's aim is the Conference then that would be the right way to go about it. Every internal in our history has taken us down , if not in their first season in their second.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 16:23:31 »

All we need to know is evident in his post match summary - bar a couple of defensive mistakes he thinks we are on the right track.  Therefore, do not expect any real changes - other than some random moving of players into positions that make no sense I guess.

I'd get rid, but that is based purely on the football being played, not even the results.  It is painful to watch.  I think Flitcroft might challenge King as my most disliked Swindon Manager, I don't count Hart.

Budget wise, some of our signings suggest it's good enough to match anyone thinking about making the play offs, so I don't think it is Di Canio sized, but I do believe it is good enough to be in the mix.  I do think we lack a few players for any other Manager to make a big difference because they just cant fit another way of playing.  So Power would need to consider that in making a decision.

I don't know who you bring in but I'd look down a league and see if there are any on the rise.
Sir red ken

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 16:38:59 »

If Power's aim is the Conference then that would be the right way to go about it. Every internal in our history has taken us down , if not in their first season in their second.
Absolutley correct, I can't believe fans want another from inside the club appointment when its been a disaster every time. We know what works, so at 36 I'd say Gareth Barry or someone like him to give us the lift we need. Sadly I feel this isn't going to happen as the club has no money and looks like following the Cambridge model.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 16:43:55 »

I don't believe a word that comes out of Powers mouth Reg. I need proof before belief.

I agree....

No facts just lots of comments made in the media.

Past record at clubs is not a great one is it?

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 16:56:35 »

as a matter of opinion Rob, who do you think in our squad suggests we've spent a competitive amount?

I know the reported Woolery fee, which I find a bit unlikely up front, but the rest seem like also rans to me, Taylor aside.

Just curious like, could well be so.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 17:03:01 »

as a matter of opinion Rob, who do you think in our squad suggests we've spent a competitive amount?

I know the reported Woolery fee, which I find a bit unlikely up front, but the rest seem like also rans to me, Taylor aside.

Just curious like, could well be so.

Clearly we have spent about the going rate for a middling Div 4 side, which atm is what we are. Half our best pick side could well be loan players and the rest fellas picked up out of contract at Div 3/4 sides.

You only have to think back a couple of weeks, when Flitters was talking about how he nearly went for Frank Nouble in the summer... he went to Newport

« Last Edit: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 17:06:55 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 17:11:00 »

yes I suppose middling + Woolery +
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 17:23:53 »

Mullin and Purkiss are also likely to be on the higher end of wages in this league, plus you have people like Norris & Vigs retained.  Overall budget is likely top 10, not top 3 or 4, but not bad.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, December 17, 2017, 17:32:36 »

Mullin and Purkiss are also likely to be on the higher end of wages in this league,  

Mullin was at Morecambe, one of the lower payers in Div 4, so coming to us even as middling outfit was a step up. Purkiss the definition of lower league journeyman, don't get me wrong think they've both been good signings.  But I'm not the one complaining, I think Flitters has done OK with the budget and situation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: