Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flitcroft  (Read 35842 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 21:31:48 »

A lot of the time it was pretty shit under Macari as well. Until it all clicked into place....
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 23:50:45 »

A lot of the time it was pretty shit under Macari as well. Until it all clicked into place....

But it did click...............and then we were pretty much unplayable

And then Ardiles came in and we all shit ourselves when defenders started passing in their own box !
And then that clicked.............

Then Hoddle came in ..........etc

Maybe I'm part of the spoilt generation, who saw those three managers.

(and lets not forget Paolo)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:10:41 »

Sturrock's football was far better than this. At least we had wingers and attacking full backs.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:12:34 »

Sturrock's football was far better than this. At least we had wingers and attacking full backs.
Yup. And the standard in League 2 was much much better. But we are in the League 2 we are in, if Flitcroft's ugly football gets us out of it, I'm all for it.
Although, if it doesn't he's a complete tosser who should have been sacked in October Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:31:58 »

Yup. And the standard in League 2 was much much better.

I remember some pretty terrible games back in 06/07.   Sturrock knew though how to get out of Div 4. When he did it with Plymuff their leading score was Coughlin the centre half with 11.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:38:51 »

Sturrock knew though how to get out of Div 4

God that last day game V Walsall, about 60 minutes of action and a gentleman's agreement for 30 to ensure a double celebration!

Anyway, even Sturrock didn't walk it. But he did the job.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:47:14 »

I remember some pretty terrible games back in 06/07. 
There were indeed, but I'd still say the standard overall was much better than it is now. Maybe rose-tinted specs on my part?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:50:10 »

....and Blair Sturrock! Better than Norris?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:53:03 »

God that last day game V Walsall, about 60 minutes of action and a gentleman's agreement for 30 to ensure a double celebration!

Are you sure you’re not confusing that with Hartlepool in 2004.

Walsall scored in the 90th minute to get their draw, whereas Hartlepool equalised in the 71st minute.
That say both of us make the playoffs at the expense of Port Vale on goal difference
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:56:15 »

Of course, the notion that the standard was higher in 06/07 is fanciful. 

9 of the teams we competed against are now in the Conference or worse. Darlo, Boston, Hereford, have dropped below Conference N/S. HPool, Torquay and Chester may soon join Stockport in Confeernce N/S. None of the teams are higher than Div 3.

Reality is that Div 4 this year is like Div 4 11 years ago.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:02:44 »

Are you sure you’re not confusing that with Hartlepool in 2004.

Walsall scored in the 90th minute to get their draw, whereas Hartlepool equalised in the 71st minute.
That say both of us make the playoffs at the expense of Port Vale on goal difference

I am too.

Remembered we needed a draw v Walsall and somehow morphed it in to the other game. Stupid memory.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:06:22 »

Of course, the notion that the standard was higher in 06/07 is fanciful. 

9 of the teams we competed against are now in the Conference or worse. Darlo, Boston, Hereford, have dropped below Conference N/S. HPool, Torquay and Chester may soon join Stockport in Confeernce N/S. None of the teams are higher than Div 3.
But that's not because of how good/bad they were at football in 06-07. At least two of those (Hereford and Hartlepool) have been laid low by our ex-owner's cabal, rather than because they played shit football 10 years ago. Chester have undergone a complete revolution after the malfeasance of the Vaughans, Torquay have been laid waste by their former benefactor dying or losing interest (I forget which) and ending up in the hands of a developer who's just after their stadium. None of that is anything to do with how well/badly they played 10 years ago.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:08:50 »

malfeasance
Congratulations, you win "word of the day" Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:14:32 »

Congratulations, you win "word of the day" Smiley
I'm so proud Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:15:25 »

But that's not because of how good/bad they were at football in 06-07. At least two of those (Hereford and Hartlepool) have been laid low by our ex-owner's cabal, rather than because they played shit football 10 years ago. Chester have undergone a complete revolution after the malfeasance of the Vaughans, Torquay have been laid waste by their former benefactor dying or losing interest (I forget which) and ending up in the hands of a developer who's just after their stadium. None of that is anything to do with how well/badly they played 10 years ago.

I would suggest that having a well run club tends to produce a decent side, whereas conversely, having a poorly run club tends to produce a poor side.  There may be the odd spell whereby it can work differently, and sometimes appearances can be deceptive, like our Hillier/Macari era years.

However I would agree that sometimes leagues are obviously a bit stronger than usual. Such a case would have been Wilson's PO season. where you had us, Norwich, Millwall, Charlton, Leeds, Uddersfield, and Soton  battling it out at the top.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:25:43 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: