Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flitcroft  (Read 35837 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #90 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:00:46 »

Again, you've encapsulated my own feelings very well. Not wildly enamoured of the manager, team or style of play but this season is all about getting us out of this horrible division. As long as they have enough between them to do that, I can hold my nose until we regroup next season. If they don't, it's been a waste of a season
Same here. I'm sticking with Flitcroft because we're still in it and I don't trust Power's choice ff managers. I wouldn't be surprised if we got worse.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:13:05 »

It'd be interesting to know what the agreement was when DF signed... I'd have been tempted to say you've got one year with us and if you get promoted you'll have a generous bonus of £X but we'll get a League 1 manager in to replace you. If we don't go up, no bonus and still replaced.

Whether any such conversation was had I'm not sure. Can't even find anything that says how long his contract is.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #92 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:14:33 »

I fucking hate Flitcroft but surely if he gets us up he deserves his chance in League One?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:15:44 »

Indeed. Besides, nobody is going to sign up to a 'do your job you get fired' contact!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #94 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:24:59 »

I don't hate Flitcroft but I don't think he handles his players very well, his decision making at times is very poor, his tactics are not great but if he gets us out of this league at first time then great, can't warm to him but hate is too strong a word.

Do I trust his judgement? probably not much.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:34:01 »

I’m just trying to think ahead. Surely, one of the advantages of getting promoted is a rise in ST sales. If Flitcroft stays I can’t see many more wanting to see another season of the, mainly, shite stuff he’s served up so far.

Saying that, there has been some improvement in the entertainment value lately, albeit interspersed with more of the Crawley, Barnet et al shambolic defending.

Still reckon Ince will return this week.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:39:49 »

He's getting better with experience.

Win %

Barnsley 31%
Rochdale 41%
Swindon 51%

Drawing a game seems to be an issue, only 2 in 35 games. We seem to win or capitulate
« Last Edit: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:42:19 by 4D » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 11:08:49 »

I’m just trying to think ahead. Surely, one of the advantages of getting promoted is a rise in ST sales. If Flitcroft stays I can’t see many more wanting to see another season of the, mainly, shite stuff he’s served up so far.

Saying that, there has been some improvement in the entertainment value lately, albeit interspersed with more of the Crawley, Barnet et al shambolic defending.

Still reckon Ince will return this week.

The Power regime is marked by a complete absence of planning.... everything is reactive and made up on the hoof. For a while it looked like The Swindon Way, might have been a plan, but it in reality, it was the serendipitous TT at Spurs which worked to our benefit.

Flitcroft, out of necessity has had to work short term... you don't come in late pre-season, with no players, no friendly fixtures and next to no back room staff  and start dreaming of 2 seasons time.

His first aim, in the short term, was to try and make us at least semi competitive, and get back the purpose of a football club, namely trying to win games.  So far that has largely been achieved... I don't think under Power's ownership, it will ever be anything other than a hand to mouth existence.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 13:23:03 »

He's still here now and it's too late to switch out for any massive impact to occur.  The players should get us over the play off line, it's then a coin toss.  If he gets us up there is no debate, he will be kept on - might be having a post season conversation from his boss about some changes needed, but Power isn't going to get rid.

Personally would sack him even if we won every game for the rest of the season (I am assuming here we continue playing the way we do while on such a run).  I abhor everything about his being.  He is a very poor mans Sam Allardyce, someone else I wish ill (just in a footballing sense, not personal) on, so just because he is our Manager doesn't mean I should lose what little moral compass I have.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 13:29:27 »

Personally would sack him even if we won every game for the rest of the season (I am assuming here we continue playing the way we do while on such a run).  I abhor everything about his being.  He is a very poor mans Sam Allardyce, someone else I wish ill (just in a footballing sense, not personal) on, so just because he is our Manager doesn't mean I should lose what little moral compass I have.

Blimey. Not sure i want to hear your thoughts on Lou Macari.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 13:35:58 »

Interestingly, Flitcroft told someone I know during pre season that he was only given a 1 year contract, as opposed to the 2 year that was quoted. So even if we do go up, I don’t think we are stuck with him.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 14:21:40 »

Blimey. Not sure i want to hear your thoughts on Lou Macari.

I don't place him in the same grouping - direct yes, lump it and an over reliance on stats/tactical wizardry, no.  I place Flitcroft in the Allardyce, Beck, Wilkinson, Boothroyd etc. gang.  Macari saw what was needed to get us up, it wasn't a style he needed us to play for his own ego, just an effective way of getting lower league players to win, we did evolve and we did have ball players - the switch by Ardiles showed that.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #102 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 14:24:25 »

I don't place him in the same grouping - direct yes, lump it and an over reliance on stats/tactical wizardry, no.  I place Flitcroft in the Allardyce, Beck, Wilkinson, Boothroyd etc. gang.  Macari saw what was needed to get us up, it wasn't a style he needed us to play for his own ego, just an effective way of getting lower league players to win, we did evolve and we did have ball players - the switch by Ardiles showed that.
Macari along with Danny Williams is the best talent spotter we've had in my time watching Town. He bought good players as Ardiles should vouch for.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 14:26:57 »

Macari along with Danny Williams is the best talent spotter we've had in my time watching Town. He bought good players as Ardiles should vouch for.

I stand to be shot down here, but poor manager that he was, Andy King seemed bloody good at spotting talented players, just not molding them into a team.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #104 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 14:31:57 »

I stand to be shot down here, but poor manager that he was, Andy King seemed bloody good at spotting talented players, just not molding them into a team.
Not at all, King was a superb talent scout 75% of the time, yes he had a few stinkers too but a great scout just not a great manager.

Macari was for me the best at spotting a good player for me, he found us some absolute gems.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: