Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Smart Watches  (Read 7635 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:05:34 »

What's everybody's views on smart watches ? Have you got one ? If so which one ?

Worth it/not worth it  ? What can you really do with them ? I'm predominately talking android here.

Is it worth going down the Tom Tom/Garmin running watch route so you've got another functionality other than "ooh look I've got another spam email?

Discuss.............. 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:14:57 »

I have a Polar M600, although I got it as a running watch with music on board rather than a smartwatch per se. Very occasionally (e.g. driving or in work meetings) it can be useful to see that the alert/notification is something I don't need to really interrupt what I'm doing to deal with, without being tempted to sneak a look at my phone when I really shouldn't. Beyond that, I don't really use the smart watch features or see the point of them. Love it as a running watch though
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 13:01:12 »

I have a Polar M600, although I got it as a running watch with music on board rather than a smartwatch per se. Very occasionally (e.g. driving or in work meetings) it can be useful to see that the alert/notification is something I don't need to really interrupt what I'm doing to deal with, without being tempted to sneak a look at my phone when I really shouldn't. Beyond that, I don't really use the smart watch features or see the point of them. Love it as a running watch though

Cheers Paul - so does the M600 play music via Bluetooth or do you have to carry your phone too?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 13:03:26 »

I have a Sony Smart Watch 3 and like pauld does with his Polar, I find it useful for filtering notifications without going to phone. A handy feature for me is when casting spotify to chromecast audio....I get a little remote on the watch so don't have to keep going back to the phone. Also when I can't find my phone it has a ring phone feature.
Not fussed about steps and GPS tracking but it can do that too. I also don't use it for music but it can sync and store music for playing via bluetooth.

All that being said, I often forget to charge it up so doesn't get used as often as it should. In other words, you probably don't need it, but some features you may find useful. If you like to wear a watch then at least it also tells the time.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 13:16:00 »

I love my Motorola 360... can send and receive messages on it, control Spotify, track steps if you're in to that, do certain voice control things (set alarms, Google things), check my bank balance, Google map navigation while walking around... battery lasts 3/4 days. I think there is now a sport version too.

I didn't think I'd actually use it, but I wouldn't be without it now.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 14:01:34 »

Cheers Paul - so does the M600 play music via Bluetooth or do you have to carry your phone too?
No need for phone to playback music, that's why I got it rather than a Garmin (although Garmin have a new 645 coming out soon which will also have onboard music storage). It has 4Gb storage space so you can download music direct to the watch from Google Play playlists, then listen to it via Bluetooth headset. Also has wrist-based HRM so the idea was that rather than lumbering up with chest strap, phone. armband for phone etc etc before going out for a run, I'd just be able to plug in headphones and off I go. That worked really well until we got a dog and now I end up taking a small backpack with me for all the dog stuff as well as my own so tend to sling the phone in there anyway Smiley But it's nice to have the option of leaving the phone etc behind if I'm not taking the dog with me.

Also when I can't find my phone it has a ring phone feature.
Oooh, I'd forgotten about that, that's actually the most useful smartwatch feature. But I'd still say if it wasn't for the onboard music I'd have just bought a GPS running watch with HRM.  There's nothing in the smart watch set that justifies spending money on for me.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 14:51:11 »

tip, don't get a Garmin if you use a Huawei phone, not until they sort out the compatibility issues
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 15:02:59 »

tip, don't get a Garmin if you use a Huawei phone, not until they sort out the compatibility issues

I was thinking about the Garmin 35. I get on well with the owner of  a local running shop and he recommended it. Don't think its got the most amazing notification connectivity but seems to be a good all-round watch. 
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 15:08:03 »

I love my Motorola 360... battery lasts 3/4 days.

How?! My 360 v2 lasts less than a day!

I use mine to control audio playback with my wireless headphones when I'm out walking. Still need my phone with me because it doesn't store music or podcasts directly, but saves pulling the phone out of my pocket.

It tracks steps and heart rate which is useful data to have, but I don't do much with it apart from know when I've had a lazy day or an active day. Good for spotting trends in the long term though. On the health side of things, I've used it to show an interval timer or use Strava to track runs.

Google Assistant on the watch is useful to control my Hue lights when I'm not in earshot of my Echo.

One of the big uses for me is as an alarm clock. I wear it whilst I sleep and it wakes me by vibrating which means I can get up without waking the wife and kids.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 15:29:30 »

I was thinking about the Garmin 35. I get on well with the owner of  a local running shop and he recommended it. Don't think its got the most amazing notification connectivity but seems to be a good all-round watch.  

I've got a Fenix 3 watch, notifications and music controls are limited by smartwatch standards. But I use it for running and as an every day watch.

Then I got a Huawei phone. Now I can't pair it.

On the plus side, the battery lasts about 1.5-2 weeks, depending on how much I run with GPS. And I can upload via wifi/PC
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 15:36:23 »

I used to have a watch, which was quite smart, because it could tell you the time. I got rid. I'd rather time was understood by being in touch with the rhythms of the days and seasons.  It works quite well, as it has done for most of human history on this planet. 

I like how we've got a couple of weeks now of rapid loss of daylight as we head towards the winter solstice....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 16:22:42 »

how very Reg
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 16:37:48 »

Can't you sellotape your phone to your arm? Save your money for something useful.
Panda Paws

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 16:41:24 »

Google Assistant on the watch is useful to control my Hue lights when I'm not in earshot of my Echo.

Can someone translate for me please?
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 17:19:37 »

I think it means than Sam has some fancy lights which he can either dim, change colour or turn off using the power of the spoke word.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: