Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage Borough vs Swindon Town Official Match Day Thread  (Read 29688 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 14:41:46 »

Agree with most of what Bob says, although you did well if you saw Harry Smith win headers (plural), cause I can only remember one Smiley. I’ve never known a bloke who is so tall to be so woeful in the air.

And as for the chanting by the yoof, I have to say the “shit Chris Kamara” chant did make me smile, the rest not so much so
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 14:55:04 »

Agree with most of what Bob says, although you did well if you saw Harry Smith win headers (plural), cause I can only remember one Smiley. I’ve never known a bloke who is so tall to be so woeful in the air.

And as for the chanting by the yoof, I have to say the “shit Chris Kamara” chant did make me smile, the rest not so much so

Can't really argue with that PR.

He won one header that skimmed off his head straight to the keeper and then made a gesture as if to expect someone to have read and got on the end of the flick. Even if someone had read it, he would never have got to it ran to the keeper so quickly. I am still hopeful there is something in Smith, however I think the horse may have bolted being sat on the bench behind a Luke Norris who offers nothing aside from when we get a penalty.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 14:57:08 »

One of many incidents on Saturday which made me cringe at our support. Seems to just be loads of kids more interested in hurling abuse at anyone and everyone than getting behind the team or anything else. The old boys who had a pop at them went about it the wrong way, but entirely see where they're coming from.

Its a tough one as at least they were trying to create an atmosphere but yeah, way too many cringe moments for me. Did vaguely enjoy the suggestion of where the Stevenage drum should be inserted however.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 15:03:57 »

Granted, Smith has plenty of faults, but he has to start ahead of Norris by default. Norris is atrocious.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 16:17:06 »

have to say that when I've seen them play this year Norris has been the better player to my eyes.

neither are exactly world beaters.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 16:21:32 »

I think Norris has been alright this season to be fair, much better than last (although its not hard). Think you're all being a little rough on him really.

Smith I'm still not convinced. He was great against Dartford but otherwise I think he's still way too raw. There is a player there though, and he's taken his goals really well.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 16:36:29 »

For us to be effective at the type of football Flitcroft wants, then a Smith type player is the way to go.  Norris is not good enough for that - he works hard, but he doesn't win enough in the air or create the opportunity for knock downs/on's.  Unfortunately, Smith isn't that good.  Norris is useful at penalties I suppose, but a leader of the line in a pump it long team he isn't.  I am not sure he is a good player either to be honest.  It is an area I think we could do with improving in January, Woollery/Anderson need a foil to make them at all effective.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 17:11:12 »

For us to be effective at the type of football Flitcroft wants, then a Smith type player is the way to go.  Norris is not good enough for that - he works hard, but he doesn't win enough in the air or create the opportunity for knock downs/on's.  Unfortunately, Smith isn't that good.  Norris is useful at penalties I suppose, but a leader of the line in a pump it long team he isn't.  I am not sure he is a good player either to be honest.  It is an area I think we could do with improving in January, Woollery/Anderson need a foil to make them at all effective.

A good overview I think. The irony with Norris is that he's alright defensively. If the opponents put a corner in, there's every chance he'll head it clear. Put him in the attacking box, where he's supposed to be at his best, and he goes to pieces - positionally, physically, mentally.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 17:45:21 »

Couldn't do any worse than Lancashire who appears to have enjoyed a career as a footballer despite being trained in Greco Roman Wrestling.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 17:53:45 »

The game in the league has been rearranged to Tuesday 16th January. However if Stevenage draw and get a replay, it will be moved to the 30th.

Why not just move it to the 30th in the first place?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 19:23:59 »

Before anybody says it, I don't think because Stevenage got Reading, we would have done.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 19:30:10 »

second tier of desirable ties anyway, behind the big boys.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 19:51:28 »

Before anybody says it, I don't think because Stevenage got Reading, we would have done.

I think that on this occasion, Reg, we would have done.  Our game in R2 was Match No 10 ( see here http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/results).  The ball numbers 1 - 44 for R3 were the Prem and Championship clubs in alphabetical order and the next 20 numbers equated to the R2 match numbers. Whoever won out of Stevenage v Swindon therefore got ball No 54. (http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/12/01/12/10/emirates-fa-cup-third-round-proper-draw-details-011217 ).

We missed a rare home meeting with the ‘plastics’. Angry
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 20:10:39 »

Yes, unless Hoddle and Jenas had applied a totally different method on the basis that Swindon had been in the hat instead of Stevenage we would clearly have had the same draw.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 4, 2017, 20:13:55 by ferret » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 22:55:03 »

I think that on this occasion, Reg, we would have done.  Our game in R2 was Match No 10 ( see here http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/results).  The ball numbers 1 - 44 for R3 were the Prem and Championship clubs in alphabetical order and the next 20 numbers equated to the R2 match numbers. Whoever won out of Stevenage v Swindon therefore got ball No 54. (http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/12/01/12/10/emirates-fa-cup-third-round-proper-draw-details-011217 ).

We missed a rare home meeting with the ‘plastics’. Angry

Fair enough, I thought it was all alphabetical, therefore had Stevenage gone Swansea would be next before Swindon. Oh well, it seems like in a different time that we played Reading, other than a the odd friendly.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: