Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage Borough vs Swindon Town Official Match Day Thread  (Read 29499 times)
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 12:26:50 »

Is the budget really as large as everybody on here seems to think? It can't be anywhere near what Luton & Mansfield have spent in the summer. Looking at our squad I'm struggling to think of who would be on really good money at this level. Vigs maybe & he's a remnant of a different era.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 12:41:46 »

Is the budget really as large as everybody on here seems to think? It can't be anywhere near what Luton & Mansfield have spent in the summer. Looking at our squad I'm struggling to think of who would be on really good money at this level. Vigs maybe & he's a remnant of a different era.

Not everybody here is inclined to believe Power when he talks budget, any more than when he said that Luke was the best coach he'd seen in 25 years in the game, or that Tactics was the biggest signing STFC had ever made.

However I'd have though it was probably around top ten, which is where we are in the league.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 13:01:33 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #92 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 13:07:21 »

forgot to say that tackle on Mullin was a shocker - straight red. It was late, from behind and high.
I think what yesterday and Newport showed is that we don't have a leader on the pitch. If we got a midfield general / captain in I think we could make it yet.
This season is now finely poised. January is big.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 13:48:57 »

Yesterday was very dissapointing as I genuinely thought we may get a decent cup run under Flitcroft. Stevenage seemed to be quicker in movement and thought - son of their forward play was very good and they looked dangerous every time they attacked, by comparison we were very static. Our only real danger was from set pieces.  In terms of forward options, Woolery and Gordon have more impact when they come on rather than starting, but Norris and Smith are too similar and therefore not effective as a pairing, so one of them has to start. Mullin works hard although i still havent worked out what his best position is and Goddard continues to look good but doesn't offer a scoring threat or provide many assists. Although Anderson sometimes overplays, he does provide that link between midfield and attack. Midfield is an issue where  Dunne is a very average league 2 midfielder at best, Linganzi marginally better, but neither are creative, unlike Elsnik  who also has an end product. Would like to see Tom Smith given a run instead of Dunne. The back 4 are  all very slow so when teams attack at pace we are vulnerable I would give  Knowle a chance as Purkiss appears limited, both in terms of tracking back and particularly in a creative sense. I don't believe we are good enough to get promoted with this squad and need some acquisitions in January, maybe funded by a fee for Vigs.

In the meantime I would pick the following xi
Vigs
Knowle
Lancashire
Preston
Taylor
Linganzi
Smith T
Mullins
Anderson
Smith H
Woolery

Subs
Cook
Purkiss
Robertson
Gordon
Goddard
Dunne
Norris

Injured
Conroy
Hussey
Elsnik

Others
Brophy
Landolo

kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 13:53:17 »

Forgot Mcdermott - injured
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #95 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 14:09:16 »

I don't actually think we'd get a few for vigs now and if we did it would be 20/30k. I think that ship has sailed.  He didn't look happy yesterday and there was no interaction with any other town players
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 14:18:59 by chalkies_shorts » Logged
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 14:32:29 »

I don't actually think we'd get a few for vigs now and if we did it would be 20/30k. I think that ship has sailed.  He didn't look happy yesterday and there was no interaction with any other town players
No maybe not which with no other saleable assets would mean LP backing DF further from his own pockets, where I think we need as a minimum a creative midfielder and pacier defender to give us the necessary balance in the squad. I would if possible offload Dunne, Purkiss, Robertson, Brophy and Landolo as not good enough in my opinion.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 16:32:42 »

Not everybody here is inclined to believe Power when he talks budget, any more than when he said that Luke was the best coach he'd seen in 25 years in the game, or that Tactics was the biggest signing STFC had ever made.

However I'd have though it was probably around top ten, which is where we are in the league.
The other two are subjective whereas the budget is what it is. If it is as big as some on here think its been poorly spent imo. I'd agree with you that it's probably top ten or thereabouts.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 17:02:06 »

The other two are subjective whereas the budget is what it is. If it is as big as some on here think its been poorly spent imo. I'd agree with you that it's probably top ten or thereabouts.

Back in the summer when Flitters came in, (remember it took a while to appoint him) he did say that the delay meant a lot of players had already been taken by Div 3 clubs and the big hitters of Div 4, implying that we couldn't compete with them.

There was much speculation of who these big hitters might be, but I'd hazard a guess that Notts County....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42211677

Luton, Mansfield, Cov are 4, presently above us. Of the others certainly Accy, will have a lower budget, probably Wycombe also, and I reckon Exeter comparable.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 17:59:15 »

I wouldn't be so sure on Cov being in there, they are a financial basket case who are running the risk of having no ground soon.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 18:13:39 »

We spent a significant fee on Woolery alone, I imagine that would have paid the wages of a couple of decent players at this level.  At the very least our budget will be top 7 so that should be the least expected of the manager. Yes we had to rebuild 75% the squad this summer but that’s not much of an excuse as the player churn is high at every club in this league as teams can’t afford to risk long contracts.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 18:19:38 »

I wouldn't be so sure on Cov being in there, they are a financial basket case who are running the risk of having no ground soon.

It's all relative though.  Cov being a higher status club a few years back have probably seen their budget much reduced, but it will still look a bit like ours. Remember last year, it was assumed we would look to sign Jordan Turnbull, but he went to Cov. At the time it was said because Power didn't like Soton's sell on, but I'd have thought wages came into it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 18:28:49 »

At the very least our budget will be top 7 so that should be the least expected of the manager.

Which is just about where we are atm.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 14:13:35 »

Little bit of time now so thought I would look back on Saturday.

We actually started the game quite well, Woolery seemed to get in behind their defence a couple of times but didn't do anything with it/was well defended. But then Stevenage started to crank up the pressure and a solid 5 minute spell of us with our backs to the wall ended with them scoring a neat goal and then when Woolery feebly gave the ball away outside the box, Stevenage broke and an inch perfect through ball was expertly finished. It looked like curtains (or blinds in central europe) but Linganzi's header bounced in off the underside of the bar and then Taylor somehow scored direct from a corner. That should have been the shot in the arm we needed going into the break but more crap defending and a great finish meant all that hard work was undone.

Second half was just a mess, apart from the never ending work rate of Mullin, the rest of the side seemed to fall to bits. As mentioned before our midfield seems to be the problem and a woeful Dunne (who has been disappointing in my eyes all season)  couldn't keep possession and Stevenage grabbed their fourth. To be fair to Linganzi, he tried to make things happen and Taylor's deliveries offered hope, but when Norris pathetically headed wide when it looked simpler to score the game was up as the Stevenage sub ran almost unopposed the length of the field (after another Dunne mistake) to go around Vigs and slot home. The game was done. Chants of 'Flitcroft Flitcroft sort it out' almost caused a melee between the yoof and the more mature of the fans which was a fitting end to what had been a shambolic performance.

On the field the defence looks shot to pieces, Matt Preston suddenly looks culpable and the aging Purkiss and Taylor need to be replaced (although Taylor's deliveries are a good weapon to have). Goddard can't seem to play anywhere but at number 10. He was abysmal on the left wing on Saturday and Dunne may as well have not left the changing room on Saturday. I felt a bit sorry for Linganzi as he tried to make things work. Norris continues to frustrate and Harry Smith lolloped around the pitch winning and flicking on headers to nobody. Vigs wasn't at fault for any of the goals, but his body language was hardly sparkling. DF has a tough job to turn this around, starting with Accrington away on Saturday.

Oh, and final word to the morons who thought it was hilarious to bring out the old misogynist ditty 'get your tits out for the lads' whenever the BT sport presenter did her stint to our right (the light would shine when her broadcast was ready). It really does makes me cringe going to football sometimes.  
« Last Edit: Monday, December 4, 2017, 14:51:54 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #104 on: Monday, December 4, 2017, 14:28:41 »

Oh, and final word to the morons who thought it was hilarious to bring out the old misogynist ditty 'get your tits out for the lads' whenever the BT sport presenter did her stint to our right (the light would shine when her broadcast was ready). It really does makes me cringe going to football sometimes. 

One of many incidents on Saturday which made me cringe at our support. Seems to just be loads of kids more interested in hurling abuse at anyone and everyone than getting behind the team or anything else. The old boys who had a pop at them went about it the wrong way, but entirely see where they're coming from.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: