Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage Borough vs Swindon Town Official Match Day Thread  (Read 29669 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 17:34:12 »

Power sold his soul in going with Flitcroft, so it could go either way - he could decide to see the season out with him, going with the view that the past two seasons were spectacular failures under his approach, or he could have very little patience given the complete switch in style, thinking he was wrong to chuck the baby out with the bath water.

The problem we face in going for a replacement is that Flitcroft has brought in a bunch of cloggers and I see little evidence they'd fit a different style of play.  We have nobody who can really play wide (Gordon maybe) and we have nobody in midfield who can play with the ball at feet bar Elsnik.  The back four are recruited with no hope of ever having to pass the ball out.  So, a new Manager looking to play a different way is a bit stuck - only through another overhaul of the side can you make much of an impact and is January a time to do that?

Personally, I'd have him in a room and say "look, we tried it your way, it's shit.  I'm stepping in and demanding you change the style, but to do so I'll sanction a few purchases in the right positions.  I'll sign off on the players with you but it has to be with a view to adding something different.  Don't like it, you know where the door is."

Flitcroft is not changing on his own.

We are too easy to suss out - opposition Managers must know by now that we are simply not going to have any control, so why bother pressing.  Set yourselves up deep as we rarely play with pace out wide and then run at us when the game has spaces.  It's simple, to the extent some poor teams have managed to do it well.  We are still likely to win games, because we can be threat at set pieces and when on song the front four can put a chance away.  The level of ability is poor in other teams so they can't always execute, and that means we are usually in games.  It's just not an effective way of playing for me - it is certainly nothing like Macari's team or even Sturrock (I thought we were dull under him, but I'd take that over this).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 17:35:04 »

I'll say again that we've a very nasty run of games coming up before the new year. The Bury horror run which did for Flitters comes into view...hopefully we can get back on track starting at Accrington. 
Flashheart

« Reply #77 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 17:38:38 »

At 5 points off the automatic spots it's premature to be talking about getting rid, but that's just my opinion. If Power disagrees, (before) January is about the best time to do it.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 17:41:22 »

We were appalling today. This lack of midfield is a real problem.

Only Mullin came out of the match with any credit, and Vigs I guess. It was a shambles at times.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 17:49:31 »

Quote from: Flashheart
At 5 points off the automatic spots it's premature to be talking about getting rid, but that's just my opinion. If Power disagrees, (before) January is about the best time to do it.

agree with you.

but it's not going well the last few games. Deservedly losing to a shit Newport, getting turned over at Stevenage...

But far too panic laden to push the eject button. unless Power gets pissed off at situations like the Vigs issue..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 18:00:05 »

agree with you.

but it's not going well the last few games. Deservedly losing to a shit Newport, getting turned over at Stevenage...

But far too panic laden to push the eject button. unless Power gets pissed off at situations like the Vigs issue..

Power might want to consider sacking himself....
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 18:30:36 »

Magic of the FA cup my arse

I come from a land down-under
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 19:15:34 »

Our cup runeth over.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 19:20:25 »

Magic of the FA cup my arse

Sometimes cup football can have a strange effect on teams. Clearly in the case of Stevenage it frees them up a bit.

They've had 1 win in 9 in Div 4, and include in that shipping 7 at Luton and losing at home to FGR.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #84 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 19:23:26 »

Just got back and going down the pub. Fucking shambles. Agree about Mullin being MOM. They shit on us down the left where Taylor was dogshit, Preston kept having to cover leaving gaps and Goddard was no fucking use whatsoever. Maybe playing so many games on the trot is not fair on Taylor but he was taken apart by their no 15 first half. Midfield total shit and dunn can claim credit for 2 of their goals. Vigs made absolutely no effort to organise his defence and there didn't appear to be any love between him and the other players. Norris missed a sitter at 4-2.    
On the positive side easy to get to, park up and get out of. Probably because there were fuck all Stevenage fans. Also, had my first ever Nandos.
Now for beer.  
Sir red ken

« Reply #85 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 19:56:15 »

Power might want to consider sacking himself....
He's not that good at appointing a winning manager, when I say winning,I mean just being average would be a start. Thing is who's next Danny Wilson again.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 19:59:12 »

We were appalling today. This lack of midfield is a real problem.

Only Mullin came out of the match with any credit, and Vigs I guess. It was a shambles at times.

Exactly how I would have summed it up BO. Highlight of the day was discovering the huge car park over the road from the ground was free. A rare and pleasant surprise.

Having stuck with Williams for so long with disastrous results and being publicly committed to going straight back up, I would imagine Power will pull the trigger on DF sooner rather than later.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 20:47:11 »

Cannot comment on the actual game as rely on the Wiltshire Sound giving me the info. to build my reactions upon and Chalky seemed to sum it up as the trouble being that our midfield is not one thing or the other. In any good team you need the ball winner, the worker and the ball player and we have little if any of any of those. Trust that this can be remedied soon as we will rapidly become also rans in this Division.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 11:18:27 »

Sometimes cup football can have a strange effect on teams. Clearly in the case of Stevenage it frees them up a bit.

They've had 1 win in 9 in Div 4, and include in that shipping 7 at Luton and losing at home to FGR.

Magic of the cup?  Beating Dartford was the first non league oppo we'd beaten since Woking at home.  Flitcroft In.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, December 3, 2017, 12:08:20 »

The shambles of last season has a legacy.....and this is it. So I have no interest in how Power feels at all.

Utterly shit in every department last season.

All the dross cleared off, the bloke in charge of selection (never a manager) bombed out and start again.

New manager, pretty much a whole new squad and a bit of hope.

The millstone that Flitters has is the budget he was given.

Season is on a knife edge, as it was last year. Injuries have fucked us a bit but I'm hopeful that Power will allow some new blood in January.

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: