Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County - Matchday Thread  (Read 23141 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:09:39 »

I don’t buy the ‘going out the leGue’ shit. We were a helluva lot worse in 2010-11, and even before the Di Canio announcement I don’t remember the same level of pessimism

Things get better but they never get good
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:25:21 »

I think people need to remember where we were end of last season and the radical surgery that needed doing. When we've been relegated before I don't think we've ever been in such a state on the pitch. Gutless capitulation after gutless capitulation interspersed with Colketts fancy flicks and Boos inability to be a footballer culminating in total tedium and soul destroying Saturdays.
We were a team capable of going straight out of the league. The first thing was to stop that happening. We've shown that is extremely unlikely to happen.
We've got a team that will compete to the last minute and leave it on the pitch. That's a good start. There is a reasonably good level of organisation. Defence is not bad. The forward line isn't too bad. The midfield is the problem. Neither supporting the defence of helping create. Get this right and who knows. Easily sorted if there is a desire to do so although Flitcrofts comments about anything outside the 18 yard boxes being unimportant worry me.
As for Flitcroft, I think he's done alright. Got it wrong Saturday. Couldn't really care about the spat with Vigs.
My expectation was top 10 outside play offs and that remains. A good January and who knows.
Pretty much spot on, although pre season I was expecting/hoping for a top 7, I still see nothing to change that.

Get a tackling midfielder and a creative midfielder (Elsnik is not bad when hes back to fitness) and one target man and we can easily compete at the top.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:33:35 »

I think people need to remember where we were end of last season and the radical surgery that needed doing. When we've been relegated before I don't think we've ever been in such a state on the pitch. Gutless capitulation after gutless capitulation interspersed with Colketts fancy flicks and Boos inability to be a footballer culminating in total tedium and soul destroying Saturdays.
We were a team capable of going straight out of the league. The first thing was to stop that happening. We've shown that is extremely unlikely to happen.
We've got a team that will compete to the last minute and leave it on the pitch. That's a good start. There is a reasonably good level of organisation. Defence is not bad. The forward line isn't too bad. The midfield is the problem. Neither supporting the defence of helping create. Get this right and who knows. Easily sorted if there is a desire to do so although Flitcrofts comments about anything outside the 18 yard boxes being unimportant worry me.
As for Flitcroft, I think he's done alright. Got it wrong Saturday. Couldn't really care about the spat with Vigs.
My expectation was top 10 outside play offs and that remains. A good January and who knows.
Excellent post, agree with everything said,  but still live in hope that we will improve enough to secure promotion automatically,  can't be bothered with all that play off/Wembley crap. January should be the point where with a decent midfielder or two we see the tide turn.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:44:20 »

As far as I can tell, nobody believes that we are suddenly going to go crashing down the table. We just get the odd cryptic hints from an individual will never go so far as to directly predict that we'll lose a game, but is never afraid to point out that we might do.  Roll Eyes

Stating the obvious, we can cope very well away - we have won 70% of our games, most of them quite comfortably. Each of the 3 defeats have been narrow, and they have usually been due to a late goal.

When we have won home games, it has been against form teams - Wycombe hadn't lost away in 8 months, plus Stevenage and Cambridge had started the season pretty well. Stating the obvious again, our record at home to out-of-form lower table drudge is appalling and is the reason why we are now outside of the playoffs.

If Flitcroft cannot quickly find a way to significantly improve our record in such games then he will deserve to come under pressure.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:46:54 »

I don’t buy the ‘going out the leGue’ shit. We were a helluva lot worse in 2010-11, and even before the Di Canio announcement I don’t remember the same level of pessimism

I think Chesterfield and Vale's early season struggles is a good indication of where we would have been if we hadn't changed things up. I think if Williams was still in charge we'd be bottom 5 or 6. Most of the games I've seen us pick up points I've honestly felt like last season would have been a defeat.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 13:14:33 »

Another season of Williams and his tippy tappy technical bollocks would have finished me off, and not with a happy ending.

The way I see it now, the football is awful, the manager may not be up to it and we may get stranded in this league. But I've restored belief we are trying to get out the bloody thing as a priority, rather than shop windowing a bunch of kids first to a set plan.

And yeah, it is just opinion about where we'd be had things not changed. Football wise I think we'd
be struggling. Fanbase wise we'd be dead.

We have hope.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 14:12:06 »

Another season of Williams and his tippy tappy technical bollocks would have finished me off, and not with a happy ending.

The way I see it now, the football is awful, the manager may not be up to it and we may get stranded in this league. But I've restored belief we are trying to get out the bloody thing as a priority, rather than shop windowing a bunch of kids first to a set plan.

And yeah, it is just opinion about where we'd be had things not changed. Football wise I think we'd

We have hope.

Exactly how I feel Batch. Although I think I'm a bit more optimistic in that I still think we'll have a tilt at promotion this season. As in we may not get promoted but we'll be close enough for long enough that I'll be able to keep kidding myself until March or even possibly April.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 14:18:41 »

We have hope.

Last season i was the hope that got us. Every. Bloody. Time.

I feel different about it now. It's more a hope based on actual results rather than just hope on it's own.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 15:40:58 »

I lost the hope last season after the January window transfers.

That's the fundamental difference, I don't turn up expecting us to be rolled over this year.

Whether its entertaining or not is a separate but valid argument.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: