Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ashes 17/18  (Read 47941 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 10:31:06 »

Home advantage in cricket seems to be becoming dangerously strong.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 13:02:18 »

I think this says it all:

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 15:56:34 »

May as well move on now and give some of the others a shot, don't see what we achieve playing Broad and Cook next test.

Also, with Bayliss being an expert in limited overs, is there a possibility that we could have a test match coach and a limited overs coach? If we can have different captains in different formats then why can't we have different coaches?
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, December 18, 2017, 17:13:37 »

Think I'd just show myself up if I posted as I felt right now.

Malan has excelled in this test, so there is some hope but harsh to call out any doubters as his test record hitherto was uninspiring.  One thing for sure is that it is the senior players who have let us down (with the honourable exception of Anderson) and in particular Broad, Moeen, Root, Cook.

We'll continue to win tests at home I imagine but the off field antics, not so damning in themselves, indicate a whiff of complacency about the team's ambitions.

PS  Kirky69 - very envious indeed and I hope you have a wonderful experience
cheers RedRag, much appreciated. Whilst cricket will be less exciting now, really looking forward to the whole experience, travelling on a barmy army organised trip. Any townenders been to Sydney and if so recommendations on places to visit etc  would be great. Doing the blue mountains trip and new years eve in pub hired by the barmies overlooking Sydney harbour. Other than that all suggestions welcome. Otherwise will be just beer and cricket, which in itself is not a bad combination!!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Monday, January 8, 2018, 08:51:20 »

Well, Root literally cacked himself and England cricket metaphorically followed suit.

Think the one dayers will be a lot closer, but that was rubbish.
ChChNZRED

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Monday, January 8, 2018, 09:01:30 »

Well, Root literally cacked himself and England cricket metaphorically followed suit.

Think the one dayers will be a lot closer, but that was rubbish.

Fairplay to Root he was shot to shit when he batted, but only ones to stand up today were Root, Bairstow and Curran.

least a few bright spots for Eng - Malan, Overton, Curran and Crane.

i think Vince blew his chance of coming over to NZ but we shall see on Weds i think.

Looking forward to the ODI's no Chris Lynn for Aus now he's been tonking it in big bash and he was half fit.

And for the tour of NZ test wise we may struggle against them as Wagner will just try bounce everyone out.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, January 8, 2018, 10:22:00 »

Looking forward to the Kiwi leg of the tour, should be much more evenly matched.  Not a lot for England to take out of this latest debacle. Maybe Craig Overton. Does it merit the term Pomnishambles..... Hmmm
ChChNZRED

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, January 8, 2018, 10:43:48 »

I've got tickets to the ODI and the test in CHCH happens to fall on easter weekend, conditions suit us more but yes the squad will be interesting. They named a t20 squad today and rested Ali and Bairstow do Ali good to have a break he may do well in NZ as NZ spinners aren't the biggest turners of the ball.

If Wood could get fit and last a test it would help, his pace would be added value, Overton's brother is pretty rapid as well but same as Wood. Trying to get Jofra Archer into the setup quicker than 22/23. At least Roland-Jones should be fit.

Im off to watch some of the u19 warm up games this week, got the pleasure of Eng playing tomorrow so will be good to see what they have coming through, I think Aus will be the team to beat in that as well...Steve Waughs son is playing.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, January 8, 2018, 20:49:20 »

Why bother interviewing professional sports people:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/42601156

What utter tosh Anderson, we were beaten by an innings twice and 10 wickets once.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, January 8, 2018, 21:09:42 »

The highlight of this Ashes series for me was from Melbourne test from Boxing Day. Mainly because i’d Caught the Aussie flu virus and it occupied four nights of not being able to fucking sleep properly. In fact i’m Just about over it, so if you’ve had it I commiserate, if not you don’t want it trust me.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 09:04:56 »

Why bother interviewing professional sports people:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/42601156

What utter tosh Anderson, we were beaten by an innings twice and 10 wickets once.

Agreed, losing 4-0 to your biggest rivals can never be described as “not too bad”.

The concern is we have regained that ability to fall apart when under pressure.
We discussed it at work, you always got the feeling that Australia could bat out the day if they needed to, whereas you expected an England collapse at any point.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 11:27:46 »

Agreed, losing 4-0 to your biggest rivals can never be described as “not too bad”.

The concern is we have regained that ability to fall apart when under pressure.
We discussed it at work, you always got the feeling that Australia could bat out the day if they needed to, whereas you expected an England collapse at any point.

I expected us to lose 5-0, many good judges rated this the weakest touring party to Australia, if not ever, at least in living memory and that was before Stokes.

Against that backdrop, only losing 4-0 and not suffering complete mental breakdown like the last time, is the reason for the very flimsy straw clutching

As for Jimmy, he's come through this debacle with an enhanced reputation, given the vice captaincy, he  has grown. There will definitely be a gig for him in coaching or media when he finishes.

Bayliss looks to be staying put, my axe would fall on the selectors.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 11:41:41 »

I have been listening to the BBC's "Tailenders" podcast, featuring Greg James, Felix White and the above mentioned Jimmy A.

In it Jimmy comes across as being a lot less grumpy than you might imagine him to be. I think he'd be a good media presence.

He could go past Glenn McGrath's test wickets tally too, especially if India are as bad against swing this summer as they have been in South Africa for the past 3 days.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 19:12:48 »

So that is the one day series cleaned up by England as quickly as it could be. Incredible innings by Jos Buttler, and the slowest of his 5 ODI centuries sucking up 83 deliveries.

If only Test match cricket was played with a white ball whilst wearing colourful pajamas. And only 50 overs an innings.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: