Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ashes 17/18  (Read 47881 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 11:05:32 »

Hope is a horrible temptress.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 11:09:39 »

Hope is a horrible temptress.

Use your head to play the odds. We aren't going to do it.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 11:13:23 »

No, I'm afraid we're not.  It's not a bad effort but, if as seems inevitable, it turns out to be another 'heroic failure', it'll be because the top order just weren't up to the job.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 12:48:53 »

We're f*cked.

Let's not put the mockers on making the highest 4th innings winning score, eh?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 13:59:12 »

Could easily hold out the draw. Having said that there's a potential of around 70/80 overs to bowl in the final day. avg 2 runs per over and this could go close. Hold our nerve and we could frustrate the Aussies and win it. Oh as boring as it would be to the viewer, how this game needs a Geoffrey Boycott. Chipping off singles with a calmness that says "You aren't going to get me out and you know it." Sadly I don't believe we have that right now. Root is showing a steady 2nd Innings and Woakes could be the one to keep that ticking. If Root can keep his nerve, I can see him dribbling over 100, maybe 125. A 40 or 50 from Woakes would be a stunning compliment. A partnership of 110. Have Bairstow & Overton got a couple of laboured 30's in them. Well combined yes if the 1st Innings is anything to go by. We know Moeen Ali can pic up 20 or more and Broad is capable of a few long slogs to get a quick 15/20 to then be dismissed. Yes the hope gets you but if in this test you ever needed a man to step up to the plate then, like Smith did for the Aussies in the 1st Test, Root has to be the man and do it for England in the 2nd Test.  All to play for and a better Test for the neutral this time round.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 22:37:54 »

We're not going to pull off the miracle and I'd be amazed if we even come remotely close.

This is a below par Aussie team bullying an abject England & Wales team.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 22:44:15 »

Alarm set for 3.30. Expect to have sacked it all off and asleep again at 4, when we are 7 wickets down and hope is lost. We shall see though.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 00:42:22 »

Just need to play sensible cricket. No wafting outside off stump, leave the short stuff alone and pick off the bad balls. Job done, what could possibly go wrong.
Reality will probably be getting rolled over well before lunch.
Will try and clamber out of the pit to watch, should be fascinating stuff.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 02:19:01 »

Just need to play sensible cricket. No wafting outside off stump, leave the short stuff alone and pick off the bad balls. Job done, what could possibly go wrong.

Sensible Test Cricket indeed. Leave the slogging to Broad when we need 5 from 11 balls for a nervy finish.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 03:47:11 »

Well a bit of fight in this session would've been nice! Joe Mezz, you can go back to bed...

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 05:19:50 »

Hope you failed to get-up!

This team is at best mediocre.  Top 6 out for less than 200 on such a regular basis.

Broad was practically batting from behind the stumps.  With his batting having collapsed, his place must come under pressure without a regular return on the wickets.

Ali - if he can't be fucked to be a proper batsmen, then he gets picked on his bowling, and that isn't good enough either.

Bairstow - needs to bat in the top order, the only one who looks like he has ability at times.

Vince and Malan can sit in economy on the way home.  Ponting summed Malan up - essentilly saying he offers nothing, so even though he might get out to a good ball, he doesn't do enough to threaten any bowler meaning they can wait until the peach is bowled without fear of him running up a score.

Overton - probably deserves another shot for effort.

Cook - if everyone else wasn't so shit he'd have lost his place.  As we have done such a bad job at bedding in Strauss' replacement he has to be in the side but he's playing a dangerous game.

Root - he really needs to convert a few, but he is bar far and away our best batsman.

So basically, we have two good players and one in Bairstow who maybe could be again if handled properly.  Nobody in the remaining 8 is showing enough often enough to be of test quality (Woakes clearly can be, he needs to repeat that bowling performance though).
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 05:28:20 by RobertT » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 05:22:16 »

Goodnight Eileen.  Back for one hour's kip I'd rather not have had at the start of play.  

Bottom line is there were only a couple of 50 partnerships and we would have lost by 10 wickets but for Smith's mistake (well called by Robert T) in not asking us to bat again.

WACA next and 5-0 beckons
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 05:37:44 »

No, I'm afraid we're not.  It's not a bad effort but, if as seems inevitable, it turns out to be another 'heroic failure', it'll be because the top order just weren't up to the job.

I am fairly confident that this won't go down as a heroic defeat.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 09:19:40 »

I am fairly confident that this won't go down as a heroic defeat.

Yeah. What was I thinking?!  Won't be making that mistake again anytime soon.  Bad Mood
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 13:51:44 »

Well a bit of fight in this session would've been nice! Joe Mezz, you can go back to bed...

Stayed up til the end, couldn’t get back to sleep so thought I’d just watch our demise. Don’t think it was in our favour that Australia had no reviews left, but deserved to lose anyway. Bairstow has to bat higher, and I would like to see Foakes in there
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: