Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ashes 17/18  (Read 47884 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, November 26, 2017, 09:05:27 »

For all the talk of Test cricket being the purest form of the game, and the elegies to 'ebb & flow'...match situations like this really highlight the downside of the format.  Australia have basically won, except they haven't.  It's satisfying for neither side.

The conclusion, that we all already know the shape of, will be watched by a handful of retirees before they head off for their Monday lunch.  It's like halting a horse race two furlongs from the end with the eventual winner way out in front...and telling the punters to come back tomorrow to watch the horse cross the line.  Most wouldn't bother.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, November 26, 2017, 13:53:33 »

This stinks of few years ago, poor openers and flaking under pressure. 5-0 could be on the cards
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:08:56 »

How many of our batsmen have averaged over 40 in the past two years?  I would hazard a guess at one.  For all the media hyperbole, Stokes, Ali, Bairstow, Woakes etc. are just handy test all rounder style batsmen, you shouldn’t have a team of them.Ali has to get in the team on batting alone, and then you struggle to make a case with everyone else only managing to average between 20 and 30.

The bowling is too reliant on Anderson and on Broad having a worldwide spell.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:27:36 »

How many of our batsmen have averaged over 40 in the past two years?  I would hazard a guess at one.  For all the media hyperbole, Stokes, Ali, Bairstow, Woakes etc. are just handy test all rounder style batsmen, you shouldn’t have a team of them.Ali has to get in the team on batting alone, and then you struggle to make a case with everyone else only managing to average between 20 and 30.

Bairstow's test average is 39 and given how poorly he started his career then i'd guess his is 40+ the last few years. Cook averages 46 overall and while he hasn't enjoyed the purple patches of a few years ago recently i'd be surprised if he was under 40 too. Stokes and Ali average about 35. I'm sure every team would love to be able to pick Steve Smith but these lads are decent players. We lost the Test mainly because no one on our side could match Steve Smith's contribution and the conditions suited their bowlers more than ours.

I'm pissed off about it too but let's not get carried away...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, November 27, 2017, 15:37:26 »

It's only cricket...

Here's a suitable theme tune

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, November 27, 2017, 18:13:57 »

Bairstow's test average is 39 and given how poorly he started his career then i'd guess his is 40+ the last few years. Cook averages 46 overall and while he hasn't enjoyed the purple patches of a few years ago recently i'd be surprised if he was under 40 too. Stokes and Ali average about 35. I'm sure every team would love to be able to pick Steve Smith but these lads are decent players. We lost the Test mainly because no one on our side could match Steve Smith's contribution and the conditions suited their bowlers more than ours.

Aussie being average is the only thing keeping us in the hunt.  They do have two bowlers averaging 25, whereas out best is just under 28 and we have one bowler in three figures!  Ali's bowling average back-up the fact he should not be considered as one of the bowlers.  personally, I'd have him in the top 5, maybe number 4 and push Root up the order.  Bairstow has to be number 6 - he appears to get dragged into giving his wicket away when batting with the tail.  Personally I'd then have tried out Hales at 5, but it's too late for that now, we wasted the summer messing about with players.  I am still not sure Ali is worthy of a top 6 slot given his average thus far, but he's a better bet than Vince or Malan.

The bowling then needs an all rounder, which Woakes should fill under normal circumstances, a spinner and 3 front line bowlers.  Ball does not appear to be one, we need another one in the team averaging less than 30 a wicket at least.

Play that same XI for the rest of the series and we probably lose 3 or 4 to 1 (we might stand a chance in the next game under the lights).
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, November 27, 2017, 22:01:56 »

One of the problems is our batsmen seem happy to pick up the 40 and 50 scores which retains a place in the side and not back it up in a second innings for example when really under pressure or convert into big scores in that position. They are great when a 100 runs ahead and need to add quick runs. Another 50 odd runs in either innings in Brisbane and there was more pressure on the Aussies that could have changed the result.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, November 27, 2017, 22:03:27 »

Stokes on his way to Aus
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, November 27, 2017, 22:43:01 »

Stokes on his way to Aus

Or not
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42146537

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, November 27, 2017, 23:56:33 »

Got a friend at Newcastle uni (ooh friend), who's played for Gloucestershire 1st's who is in a group chat with Phil Mustard and Mustard seems to think charges are dropped and Stokes is playing in the third test, so we shall see.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 14:05:14 »

Got a friend at Newcastle uni (ooh friend), who's played for Gloucestershire 1st's who is in a group chat with Phil Mustard and Mustard seems to think charges are dropped and Stokes is playing in the third test, so we shall see.

Bloody need him. Time for him to put a few ghosts to bed and prove his worth. It's only going to take one player to shine because lets face it. Smith (for the Aussies) is being made to look shit hot when really he's probably a bit more than above average. The Ashes always hinges on someone taking it by the balls. Laboured Innings do not make legendary or memorable cricketers. Respect yes, because to stay in for 7/8 hrs and only score say 120 ish takes a lot of patience and concentration. No one will remember that though. Someone has to come in (for the sake of the Test game), entertain us and their opponent. Can Stokes do that?

Time will tell, he has a second chance so let's hope he takes it!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 16:58:50 »

It would be great if charges are not pressed against Stokes leaving him free to join England in the third test

I think both sides are below par at Test level.

For those who find test cricket too long drawn out or boring, the pitch didn't aid spectacular or even positive cricket.  In the context of the match, Steve Smith's innings was pivotal and just tipped the match initiative away from England to the Aussies.  Cook's failures, by contrast, heaped pressure on a young team.  That will have to change if England are to make a fist of this series.

Not sure that Malan, Vince and Stoneman (impliedly as one of the openers) deserved to be adversely picked out.  I would have looked to the more experienced players  to regret in this case.  Credit also to just 4 bowlers really, namely Hazelwood, Cummins and Starc, alongside Lyon, for ultimately asking more questions than England's rather unpenetrative attack.

I certainly didn't find the part sessions I was able to watch boring, last day aside.  Nor would I have found the last day boring had the match positions of the teams been reversed.

We have different types of pitch to look forward to now.  As Mark Cooper might have said "we go again Saturday" and certainly the first one or two times, that left me excited.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 17:34:41 »

Surely he could be picked now? Being out of the country and all?
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 18:42:04 »

Surely he could be picked now? Being out of the country and all?

My guess would be that he would be jet lagged, unacclimatised and out of practice, therefore making the third test more appropriate. The need for him in the 2nd test is less strong as Adelaide Day/night conditions should suit our bowlers, ball swinging under lights and all that.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, December 2, 2017, 03:28:42 »

Interesting decision to bowl first. Need early wickets. Come on England. Going out for the Sydney test and realistically think we need to win this one to have a chance in the series.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: