Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ashes 17/18  (Read 47887 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 23:48:22 »

What do we think then? Both sides strength definitely their bowling, could be an exciting series.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 00:00:46 »

Not soo confident. Any streaming links??
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 08:11:10 »

As good a start as we could reasonably hope for.  Encouraging thing is that the runs were made by Vince & Stoneman rather than Cook & Root. 

Only thing missing from this thread is someone posting that they have no interest in cricket.  That's always so invaluable.

normy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 08:45:16 »

Determined batting against very good bowling. BT Sport is doing a good job so far, enjoyed it.

ust be the oldest
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 08:58:32 »

Pitch is slow, 350 would be a good score.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 11:37:36 »

As good a start as we could reasonably hope for.  Encouraging thing is that the runs were made by Vince & Stoneman rather than Cook & Root. 

Only thing missing from this thread is someone posting that they have no interest in cricket.  That's always so invaluable.

I have no interest in cricket.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 12:03:52 »

I'm joking. I've kept wicket several times and although as my own critic I think i'm crap at it, I love playing the game. Also enjoy chilling out to watch the other (better) team players bat us to victory (or not).

Interesting start and Cook's Ashes in Australia stats, at the Gabba 1st Inns are fairly shocking apart from a 67, the rest are under 30. The 67 gives him an AVG of 23.25. No one really relishes opening at the Gabba though and he usually comes to the fore in the 2nd Inns. Once the pitch has quickened. He just got tempted into pushing one to be honest because up until then it was slow and steady (just like Boycott), which is what you need when you're getting accustomed to the wicket. Vince & Stoneman made a steady partnership which was encouraging and I'm sure Root will come good in 2nd Inns like Cook. Signs of a good and steady partnership with Ali & Malan. Which is imperative if we're to even break 300. Would be happy with 375 though on this pitch at this stage. Their batting doesn't look too great either so it's a bowler's ashes to take. Could it be time for Broad & Anderson to steal the show, yet again? Think Anderson would potentially retire from International Cricket if he has a good Ashes.

Agree with Normy, BTSport doing a sterling job. Informative, not too annoying. Well experienced favourites from both sides in the commentary and analysis teams. Something about TMS though, they always get their commentators right. This is why I think it's still going on the radio. Older lot yes, may not have access to Sky/BT/Virgin/Whatever, but also there's a young bunch of us that have also grown up with TMS on the wireless too. With the introduction of DAB into cars, the home, and other portable uses it holds it's own and if nothing else, there is a place for TMS on the radio/red button/laptop. It's come a far cry from manually tuning in and putting a bit of masking tape or paint in line with the needle. Personally when i'm in the top end of my garden and doing some work around the shed, I can't help but get the Roberts Radio out and tune in while I have a "rest" (and maybe a beer or two).

Here's to a hopefully great Ashes, unless you're following the Aussies then...

'Incessant Nonsense'

fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 12:14:48 »

375 would be a terrific score.

My only concern is a new ball taken and if England are to get to 375 Malan, Moeen, YJB and Woakes will have to get most as I cant see Broad, Anderson and Ball getting 10 between then against Starcs Yorkers!

Australia strike a couple quickly tomorrow morning and getting to 250 could be tricky.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 12:27:42 »

375 would be a terrific score.

My only concern is a new ball taken and if England are to get to 375 Malan, Moeen, YJB and Woakes will have to get most as I cant see Broad, Anderson and Ball getting 10 between then against Starcs Yorkers!

Australia strike a couple quickly tomorrow morning and getting to 250 could be tricky.

Pretty much agree. This Innings hangs on the Malan, Ali partnership building slowly with Bairstow joining one of them somewhere late into Day 2 (after Lunch). It's a big ask but it would allow Woakes to then come in around an hour before Tea  and add some distance to the score. All will be revealed at about 3am tomorrow and we'll have a better idea of where our 1st Inns score is going.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 13:25:14 »

Yup agreed.  375 would be a fucking great score.  I'd take 350 right now.

I hope you're right about our bowlers having the edge over their batting.  Broad will come good somewhere (he's the archetypal  0-100 or 5-75 bowler) but I'm not convinced about Anderson in Australia. 
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 15:43:30 »

10 posts in a cricket thread and neither are me or Reg. It's a happy, happy day.

Relatively pleased with that start, not necessarily the scoreboard but Vince and Stoneman getting them rather than Root and Cook is huge for confidence. Lyon bowled very well today but sharp turn for day 1, think Moeen might have a nice time considering how well the Aussies usually play spin...
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 16:30:12 »

Agree with Normy, BTSport doing a sterling job. Informative, not too annoying. Well experienced favourites from both sides in the commentary and analysis teams. Something about TMS though, they always get their commentators right. This is why I think it's still going on the radio. Older lot yes, may not have access to Sky/BT/Virgin/Whatever, but also there's a young bunch of us that have also grown up with TMS on the wireless too. With the introduction of DAB into cars, the home, and other portable uses it holds it's own and if nothing else, there is a place for TMS on the radio/red button/laptop. It's come a far cry from manually tuning in and putting a bit of masking tape or paint in line with the needle. Personally when i'm in the top end of my garden and doing some work around the shed, I can't help but get the Roberts Radio out and tune in while I have a "rest" (and maybe a beer or two).

Cannot stand Boycott or Swann myself, Gilchrist, Ponting and Vaughn all very good in the first day, particularly the latter two gave great insight into captain's role in the Ashes. Excited for Day 2
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 16:46:16 »

Set YouView to record the highlights this morning, but for some reason I got the Premiership Rugby show for the first haf hour so missed a fair bit of the cricket. Reasonable start to the test, and as has been said it's encouraging that runs have come from players other than Cook and Root.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 20:49:45 »

Kick off 30 minutes earlier tonight due to the rain interruptions yesterday.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 22:07:19 »

Would love to watch it - But am not getting BT Sport. If anything, it has made me think I might get rid of Sky too.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: