Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby Town vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 25280 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:39:01 »

Results can paper over the cracks a little as we generally haven’t been that great most of the season. It’s as RobT says we don’t really dominate games we just generally have that extra bit of quality at key moments to nick it.
At times we do seem to get tactically outfought and ripped apart by unlikely teams and really struggle against pace and teams that take us on. I still reckon we’ll finish top 7 though as we are able to grind out results and the division is poor.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:39:07 »

I think you're right PV. In fact, most of the team didn't perform tonight. If any of them did in any way, it was RCC.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:39:50 »

RCC made 4 good saves but I would have expected Vigs to have saved them also.
And his inability with crosses is a big issue imo
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:40:41 »

The defence sells avon
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:41:44 »

Reminded me a bit of the Barnet game that one.  They ran at us and it worked a treat when they did.  Same old stuff though overall, lump it forward, see what happens.  As it happens, we could just as easily sneaked a win as lost by a bigger margin.  Atrocious standard of football, still on target for the play offs, which is all that really matters I suppose.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:41:57 »

Poor defence for 90 mins. They got what they deserved.
Yep never looked like getting anything today even at 2-1.

Didn't create enough chances, kicked long to Smith when we needed it played on the ground with pace to run at two geriatric centre backs who mopped up all the long hoofs, the defence didn't play as a unit and the 2 strikers and 2 wingers had a field day against us, even Preston had a poorish game.

We missed Elsnik with his runs through the middle, Gordon had the wrong studs/boots on, RCC could have done a bit better with a couple of goals.

We played the wrong tactics and it backfired.

Bad day at the office today, next.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:44:06 »

Newport concede 2 in last two minutes and lose
Panda Paws

« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:44:58 »

Tough assignment with such a depleted squad. Saving grace that many of those around us dropped points too. Saturday is big now, and hopefully we’ll have some reinforcements back. Tempted to bring Vigs back in too.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:45:16 »

Yep never looked like getting anything today even at 2-1.

Didn't create enough chances, kicked long to Smith when we needed it played on the ground with pace to run at two geriatric centre backs who mopped up all the long hoofs, the defence didn't play as a unit and the 2 strikers and 2 wingers had a field day against us, even Preston had a poorish game.

We missed Elsnik with his runs through the middle, Gordon had the wrong studs/boots on, RCC could have done a bit better with a couple of goals.

We played the wrong tactics and it backfired.

Bad day at the office today, next.

You say that but we had a clear chance at the start of the 2nd half, we had the goalie make a blinder of a save, a free kick he had to deal with and one clawed onto the post.  On another day we get 6 goals, 6!!!!!!  It's very marginal from game to game, we just have enough up top for the division to have a better hand in the game of chance over a long enough period of games.  I haven't seen one game this season, bar Dartford, where we looked in control and on top, and I haven't seen a game other than Barnet where we were utterly undone.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:46:52 »

This was always a difficult game... we know this side doesn't much like midweek  league fixtures that's, by my reckoning p 4 l 4

Then having no bench, just compounds the problem. On to Newport on Saturday, definitely a pressure game, the home form needs sorting if we are to challenge.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:49:22 »

Newport concede 2 in last two minutes and lose

Guess who had them on his bet!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:50:22 »

And his inability with crosses is a big issue imo

Not a fair comment on tonight's showing. Don't look to RCC for the blame tonight, he was fine. We were good on the edges - Purkiss and Taylor were sound, Woolery was very lively all game - but from back to front we had no control in the middle. The centre halves were pulled all over the place by Grimsby's attack,  Goddard was invisible all game, Dunne was mainly bypassed and nothing went through to Smith or Anderson (bar the one chance he took).

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:55:53 »

Not a fair comment on tonight's showing. Don't look to RCC for the blame tonight, he was fine. We were good on the edges - Purkiss and Taylor were sound, Woolery was very lively all game - but from back to front we had no control in the middle. The centre halves were pulled all over the place by Grimsby's attack,  Goddard was invisible all game, Dunne was mainly bypassed and nothing went through to Smith or Anderson (bar the one chance he took).
I’m not blaming him, but in the first half especially there were far too many crosses coming in that he wasn’t making any attempt to deal with. When you have a far better keeper on the bench RCC is going to get looked at.
We were poor in general tonight and majority of blame should rest on Flitcroft for his tactics (along with the defence) as their defence was ancient but we didn’t do what they did to us and run at them. We don’t dominate teams in any of our matches so games like this are always going to happen.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:57:05 »

Er, didn't hear Norris did ankle in warmup Sad

Vigs.."didn't want to comment" we'll see what's gone on from the video of the warmup. WTF? Did I miss-hear that? I thought he was on bench?

What's up with Mullin?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 21:58:17 »

Er, didn't hear Norris did ankle in warmup Sad

Vigs.."didn't want to comment" we'll see what's gone on from the video of the warmup. WTF?

What's up with Mullin?
Mullin is injured, tweaked something in the warm up on Sat.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: