Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We all dream of a team of McNamees  (Read 14295 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 06:52:26 »

Bit of a weak justification for a thread, but as this place is quiet these days it'll do. Yesterday I found myself humming the Anthony McNamee song, and my mind wandered to imagining exactly how an entire team of 5'6 wingers who are neat on the ball but allergic to winning it might do in reality (terribly).

The obvious next step from that to me is to wonder which STFC player past or present would do the best job of playing as a team with ten clones. It'd need to be someone well rounded and hard working, but with a good shot of playing as a team - there's little doubt that a team of Andy Gurneys would fill the former requirements but devolve into needless violence the first time there was a free kick near the box to fight over.

Anyone want to make a case?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 07:17:31 »

Miglioranzi. It’d also be terribly difficult to sing
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 07:20:13 »

A team of Gurney’s would not only end up in loads of fights, but once half the team is sent off for arguing over who should take the free kick, one of the remainder would just use that opportunity to demonstrate how hard they could kick the ball at one of the stands. They’d never score.

I think a team of Paul Caddises (Caddi?) would be pretty handy.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 07:32:45 »

I thought it was established as fact that we all dream of a team of Alan Reeves.

ok it may have been slightly tongue in cheek at the time.

sorry of on theme, it's getting to that time of year again to be living in a Finney wonderland. Can't hear that song without those lyrics popping in.

Also, did anyone else get glared at/slapped by their other half watching Strictly this week (I think) ... just added the necessary as someone was dancing to 'I can't help falling in love with you'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 07:34:41 »

Quote from: sonicyouth
Miglioranzi. It’d also be terribly difficult to sing

the problem is we'd be brilliant for 8 games a season, then concede the rest due to being unable to form a team.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 08:43:29 »

A team of Dave Bambers. 

A big strong goalkeeper to catch & roll the ball out and then a methodical progression up the pitch via a succession of dubious free kicks awarded for slightly apologetic stumbles whenever an opposition player came within 5 feet.

We could be the first team to win the league scoring every goal via the penalty spot.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 08:47:02 »

the problem is we'd be brilliant for 8 games a season, then concede the rest due to being unable to form a team.
You’ll wake DV from his slumber, careful.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 08:56:42 »

John Moncur.  I'm not sure how a team of midfield generals would really operate in practice, but it would be interesting to find out.  And JM was awesome.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 09:30:14 »

Shaun Taylor. Would keep them out at one end and score a few at the other.
Midfield might have to be bypassed though.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 09:32:02 »

Nestor Lorenzo.
Panda Paws

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 09:35:00 »

Fullbacks tend to be the most versatile, jack-of-all-trades type players. I'm going with Nicky Summerbee.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 09:35:14 »

I'm going for Fodders. We'd have a decent keeper to start with and he's pretty good with his feet too. At 6'1 he has good height to play at the back!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 09:41:39 »

I'm going for Fodders. We'd have a decent keeper to start with and he's pretty good with his feet too. At 6'1 he has good height to play at the back!

On the team-of-keepers thing, I was always very impressed with Brezovan's shot power and accuracy when he was warming up Phil Smith... he's even taller too. Not sure about his positional awareness on field though.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 09:42:56 »

Gareth whalley
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 09:43:00 »

Glenn Hoddle.

Comfortable at the back, assured in midfield and knows where the goal is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: