Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yet another new laptop thread!  (Read 31257 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 05:39:25 »

Laptop stocks are very low and will dwindle to nothing in the coming months, unless things change. Particularly with the DFE wanting half a million. I wouldn't be looking for deals. I'd just be going for whatever I could find.

Suppliers of the tier 1 kit (Dell,HP, Samsung, Lenovo, are furloughing. Dell I've heard have no kit left bar servers. Lenovo seem to still have kit but other middle men BT, Computacentre are ring fencing stock.

I'd be picking and clicking If i was after one and not worrying what it was.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 06:40:20 »

And even the DFE are struggling. You may seem them online but the lead time could be ridiculous.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 07:27:59 »

it's crazy. same thing happening with  games hardware too.

just wanted a particular boom mic to clip into my headphones and the lead time pushed delivery into June
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 08:00:09 »

All made in Asia. They haven't been manufacturing for 3 months. Now they've started going to be tricky to export large quantities of stuff, as there is little to no shipping, and cargo planes will not hold the amount that "normal" requires.  There were big backlogs when swine/avian flu concerns occurred and nothing really happened, but that affected the supply chain for months.  If you have a shitty broken mobile and have a free upgrade in line. I'd take that now also.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 08:01:16 »

And even the DFE are struggling. You may seem them online but the lead time could be ridiculous.

DFE were always going to struggle. They announced with no to little market research.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #50 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 08:26:12 »

Hey PV. 

Whats the latest?  Missus is working from home.  On my old Sony Vaio.  Which I stopped using in 2014.  It's a bit trying.

She needs something for work via vpn with the office, surfing, zoom meetings etc etc.  Decent sound would be good for the meeting and her workout videos. 

Im out of the scene as Ive been on a mac since ditching the Sony.  Up to about £500.  Im sure anything will be quick in comparison to the museum piece she's using.  Any deals you know of?

As others have pointed out, stock are very low and you won't find many deals.

This one is in stock and looks ok https://www.ebuyer.com/947548-lenovo-v15-core-i5-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-win10-home-laptop-82c50075uk

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #51 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 09:07:33 »

Hey PV. 

Whats the latest?  Missus is working from home.  On my old Sony Vaio.  Which I stopped using in 2014.  It's a bit trying.

She needs something for work via vpn with the office, surfing, zoom meetings etc etc.  Decent sound would be good for the meeting and her workout videos. 

Im out of the scene as Ive been on a mac since ditching the Sony.  Up to about £500.  Im sure anything will be quick in comparison to the museum piece she's using.  Any deals you know of?
As others have said since lockdown supplies of everything PC related have become a nightmare, even 2nd hand prices are vastly over inflated, places like CEX putting up prices of everything as supplies run out.

There are still a few good deals out there if you hunt but they are rare, even graphics cards which normally sell for £200 or £100 at CEX are now nearer £500 and £350 at CEX as people are desperate to update their stuff.

If your wife can wait I would suggest waiting or spending way more than you should do.

If you do still require one then PM me on FB and I will find you something mate.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 09:09:58 »

DFE were always going to struggle. They announced with no to little market research.
That's been the way the whole thing has been handled across govt, whether it's laptops for schoolkids, free school meals vouchers or PPE for health staff. They just announce stuff and move on without bothering to think how or even if they might actually be able to do whatever it is
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 10:47:36 »

I would ask her to ask her company if she has access to Office365 and will her VPN work on a chromebook. You will get far more performance for your money.

I am still having issues purchases iPads. Especially in any number of 10. It is crazy.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 10:49:15 »

Thanks All.

Might go for this which appears to be in stock unless Im missing something obvious.

DELL Inspiron 15 5593 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 512 GB SSD, Silver for £549

Never knowingly overstated.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 10:51:09 »

I would ask her to ask her company if she has access to Office365 and will her VPN work on a chromebook. You will get far more performance for your money.

I am still having issues purchases iPads. Especially in any number of 10. It is crazy.

Her IT support at work is not good.  Frankly one of the reasons I want to get her something better than the museum piece she has at the moment is that Im fed up of being her IT support as I hear her screaming at the screen all day.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #56 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 11:28:43 »

Thanks All.

Might go for this which appears to be in stock unless Im missing something obvious.

DELL Inspiron 15 5593 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 512 GB SSD, Silver for £549

https://www.ebuyer.com/947552-lenovo-v15-core-i5-8gb-512gb-ssd-15-6-win10-home-laptop-82c500g4uk

Same spec but cheaper at £479 mate, and in stock.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #57 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 11:30:24 »

Not sure why I didn't see that, but an extra £10 over the one I shared is well worth it for double the size SSD storage.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 11:33:22 »

Not sure why I didn't see that, but an extra £10 over the one I shared is well worth it for double the size SSD storage.
Also Lenovo is a better brand than Dell too IMO.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 13:03:34 »

Lovely.  But the one problem, which shows the luddite nature of the wife and the IT department, she really wants it to have an ethernet port so the internet can be hardwired.  Despite our wifi being good she  and the IT seem to think her being kicked off the VPN is to do with glitching on the wifi.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: