Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dartford v Swindon Town - Matchday Thread  (Read 25209 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 18:16:51 »

That away day when we went there the other year is up with the best away days i have been on

Can you believe that was almost 8 years ago!?!

Huh?
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 18:19:03 »

That diving sod Andy Johnson having the song "you'll never play for England" changed to "you'll never play for Swindon" and sung at him was quite humorous - as was the look on his face when he realised we were aiming it at him.

I come from a land down-under
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 19:10:47 »

i don't mind Fulham. I got a free pie.... life win.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 19:52:28 »

Putney Pies? That place is incredible. Second best thing about Putney after the beer shop
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 21:25:47 »

Putney Pies? That place is incredible. Second best thing about Putney after the beer shop

Surely we'd all be round to yours though?

...And then to the pub  Pint
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 22:05:18 »

That away day when we went there the other year is up with the best away days i have been on

Fulham (including George Best, Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh) away in 1977 when we drew 3-3, that was a good away day  :-)  Marsh booked after about 5 seconds, reacting to an obstruction by Ray McHale with the ball still in the centre circle. McHale was booked two minutes later for a tackle on Marsh. Fulham scored 2 late goals to snatch a draw.  Don Rogers was the Swindon sub.  

Although Best was brilliant in the replay we won 5-0.  Apparently after the game he was the last one on the Fulham bus after signing innumerable autographs.

The Football Pink match report can be read on:  
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/HeadToHead.asp?Team=Fulham#NewspaperReports

It amazes me how such long and detailed match reports could be written, printed and be on sale an hour or so after matches were finished. Not just reports on the Town's matches but also short reports on dozens of Football League and local Wiltshire League and District League games. This was when all the type face was set by hand.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 23:28:12 by Munichred » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 22:28:45 »

Quote from: sonicyouth

mine was just a free in ground job, only slightly past best before....

now I want a Putney pie, and a trip to the beer shop.
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 04:25:51 »

Versus Fulham, the game I always remember was the fa cup game at their place in 1987 (third round I think?) It was that really cold winter and everyone was jumping up and down on that open terrace, trying to keep warm. The groundsman even painted the lines blue because the pitch was white with frost.

Also remember their fans turning up at the CG with the begging buckets about the same time, before that rich bloke bought them.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 08:13:14 »

People might have seen this on Twitter, but a nice stat is that Mullin is the first player to score for Swindon in 4 comps in the same season since Steve Finney in 95/96
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 09:55:31 »

And I think the first player to score in his first game in all competitions for us.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 10:05:18 »

As a former Putney resident, I have to point out your glaring omission of The Half Moon pub on the Lower Richmond Road.  Fairly sure that Putney Pies was not there when I was living there in the mid-2000s.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 10:06:38 »

Sam Parkin was living just up the road (in Barnes?) in those days.  I used to dream that I would bump in to him on a night out.  Bit sad, I know.
Panda Paws

« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 11:05:36 »

Sam Parkin was living just up the road (in Barnes?) in those days.  I used to dream that I would bump in to him on a night out.  Bit sad, I know.

Pretty sure he's still there. I lived in Barnes for years. Saw him running the Thames path between Barnes Bridge and Hammersmith Bridge.

And also Putney - the amazing Goan restaurant (Ma Goa) on the Upper Richmond Road.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 11:41:34 »

Yay, a stalking opportunity!

I've tried Ma Goa twice and didn't rate it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 12:32:52 »

Sam Parkin was living just up the road (in Barnes?) in those days.  I used to dream that I would bump in to him on a night out.  Bit sad, I know.

I had the pint that was similar in price to northern pints (see earlier in this thread!) in Barnes the other month, didn't see Sam Parkin though - true story.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: