Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v High Wycombe Match day Thread  (Read 12204 times)
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 10:14:40 »

Wasn’t there one of the reserve games where they were handing out tokens for a Cup game and had a crowd of nearly 10,000 (well for part of the game anyway)

I'm not sure who that game was against but I was there, standing as usual then at the back of the Townend right in the middle. We won 6-2 and I had my proudest Townend moment, actually starting a chant of Swin-don. Attendance was c9,600 I think.

Another memory is being at a Combination match standing a few yards away from Ernie Hunt and Mike Summerbee.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 3, 2017, 10:20:57 by Munichred » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 10:29:41 »

An interesting study is the Silentnight bed dispute. Happened at the same time as the Miner's Strike, but went on for 18 months.

It was about the ability of management to reduce the pay of workers for doing the same job as previously undertaken. The company was owned by Tom Clarke, a local Tory in the Yorks/Lancs border region... the union had negotiated a deal whereby they'd accept a pay freeze in return for no redundancies. As soon as agreed 50 odd people were sacked, which provoked the strike.

Clarke was one of the highest paid directors in the land at the time, and Thatcher called him "Mr Wonderful" as he wished to break Trade Unionism and return to something like the popular Thatcherite trope of the time, Victorian values, whereby the 5 evils of the Beveridge post war settlement,  Want, Disease, Ignorance, Squalor, and Idleness would be unleashed.

Sadly some 30 years later we see an increase in all 5.

Just to correct a few things as I used to do a lot of work in Barlick, the strike did not start until after the miners strike had finished which probably actually explains its failure as much as anything as the public were by then sick of strikes, equally Thatcher called him Mr Wonderful once because he was a self made man who had launched the business on the money he got after leaving the Navy and in the 70's (when she said it) he had a reputation for being fairly benevolent to workers. This was picked up and used by The Sun during the dispute to try and push the idea that Thatcher said it for his actions then against the Unions. Finally not sure of the relevance of what he said as it was a private family owned company.

The moral being never believe much of what has been written about Thatcher especially if the source is The Sun!
« Last Edit: Friday, November 3, 2017, 10:31:17 by horlock07 » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 11:02:58 »

This is one of the longest running match day thread in a long time. Perhaps I should start tomorrow's? 
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 11:28:37 »

This is one of the longest running match day thread in a long time. Perhaps I should start tomorrow's? 

Maybe add tomorrow's on to this one...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #49 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 11:29:55 »

Or even Sundays Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 11:31:09 »

I think you're better off with posting the day after, rather than the day before... but you never know.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 11:35:05 »

Or start one on Monday, after our inevitable cup exit, and call it the "How it might have been different had we played on the Saturday instead Match Day Thread"

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 14:36:40 »

Except JHJ was famously wrong about Morgan, who survived because they understood their customers much better than he did, and resisted the degree of automation that he was proposing.
I was thinking more the scene where you see them wheeling the engine across the road to the other part of the factory.  Nothing wrong with being hand made, but that one scene to me shows the stupidity of British, no, Western, manufacturing at times.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 14:53:56 »

I was thinking more the scene where you see them wheeling the engine across the road to the other part of the factory.  Nothing wrong with being hand made, but that one scene to me shows the stupidity of British, no, Western, manufacturing at times.

Because Britain in many cases was the first country to organise mass industrial production, working practices often became set in stone, as they worked well enough. Other countries could look at how we did it and find improvements.

Post war, the country was on its knees, but the industrial infrastructure was largely in place if battered.  No such problem for the US, who reaped the victor's dividend, and Germany could start afresh and put into place better working practice in modern facilities.

A classic example of how difficult it is to get innovation would be Brunel's broad gauge. Vastly superior, to Stephenson's standard gauge, based as it was on stage coach technology....but we ended up with standard  Sad
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 15:14:33 »

Yep, agree with that. They were comically resistant to change in the father's time, but they seem to have managed to update while holding onto their values. A friend bought one this year and gave me a ride. It was a joyous experience.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: