Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I might as well ask!  (Read 22072 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:46:14 »

From reading this thread it does seem that Smith is becoming the new Miles Storey?

Definitely.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:52:47 »

I think smiths performance against Rochdale, while impressive given the circumstance, was overblown by many (and I said so at the time, so don’t @ me, haters)

Given two successive managers, who see Tom Smith perform every single day in training, haven’t really used him since (particularly Williams and his more youth-oriented approach) would suggest that *maybe* he isn’t as good as the hive mind thinks.

Iandolo is the one we should be more upset about lack of game time imo. We’re alright in the middle for destroyers (which from what little I’ve seen is smiths strength) - we lack any sort of nouse on the ball which Ian can (and has) provided whenever he’s been given a run up the middle. Even when farmed out at left back against Newport he was comfortably our best player on the ball (and a part of me thinks it’s not a complete coincidence he was taken off shortly after he stopped hoofing it down the line)

Things get better but they never get good
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 13:08:36 »

Whereas I've heard others say that he gets lost in games and is rated mainly because he scored a scorcher once.

I don't actually have an opinion either way as I've seen so little of him. What I do know, however, is that people that are managing football clubs tend to know a fuck ton more about the game than those that voice their opinions on the internet. Myself included. I think they are likely to have at least some idea of what they are doing, and I know who's opinion I'd rather take. Asides from very few exceptions.
I think a Smith or Dunne poll would shed some light on the overall thoughts on this topic. Also, & this isn't aimed at yourself, it seems as though others think that Smith is being hyped up as some sort of saviour. My thought process is that he is worth a run over the clearly limited options we have in there at the moment. Maybe then others can form some genuine opinions on him based on a decent run in the side.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 13:11:29 »

I think smiths performance against Rochdale, while impressive given the circumstance, was overblown by many (and I said so at the time, so don’t @ me, haters)

Given two successive managers, who see Tom Smith perform every single day in training, haven’t really used him since (particularly Williams and his more youth-oriented approach) would suggest that *maybe* he isn’t as good as the hive mind thinks.

Iandolo is the one we should be more upset about lack of game time imo. We’re alright in the middle for destroyers (which from what little I’ve seen is smiths strength) - we lack any sort of nouse on the ball which Ian can (and has) provided whenever he’s been given a run up the middle. Even when farmed out at left back against Newport he was comfortably our best player on the ball (and a part of me thinks it’s not a complete coincidence he was taken off shortly after he stopped hoofing it down the line)
Michael Pook was picked by four or five successive managers Dave!! It clearly works the other way in certain cases!!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 13:18:39 »

Michael Pook was picked by four or five successive managers Dave!! It clearly works the other way in certain cases!!

MP once scored a last 10 minute hat-trick at Burton for Cheltnumb... who were 5-3 down at the time, all shots outside the area to win 6-5  Smiley

Fatbury might have got a little moist that day.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 13:23:07 »

MP once scored a last 10 minute hat-trick at Burton for Cheltnumb... who were 5-3 down at the time, all shots outside the area to win 6-5  Smiley

Fatbury might have got a little moist that day.
Remember that. He always gave his all tbf to him. He just wasn't very good that's all.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 14:03:34 »

Quote from: pauld
Tom Smith in danger of becoming the new Storey isn't he? I don't know if he's good, bad or indifferent as I've not seen enough of him play to make that judgement. But nor has anyone else - we keep doing this, hype up some young lad as the answer to all our problems because the player not playing always looks better than what you've got. Then half the crowd fucking destroys them when they don't deliver to our (over-inflated) expectations.

that wasn't my point.

My point was that with a misfiring midfield and a nothing cup of yesterday wasn't the time to look at him when will be?

we've seen Dunne.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 14:04:39 »

that wasn't my point.

My point was that with a misfiring midfield and a nothing cup of yesterday wasn't the time to look at him when will be?

we've seen Dunne.
I'd wholly agree with that. I was prompted to post by PV rather than you though, you fucking egomaniac Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 14:05:25 »

fuck you.

it IS all about me.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 14:05:47 »

fuck you.

it IS all about me.
Well it is now, yes Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 16:28:57 »

I'd wholly agree with that. I was prompted to post by PV rather than you though, you fucking egomaniac Smiley
I can promise you I don't see Smith as the new messiah, I think if he has a future at the club then Flitcroft should at least see him in a competitive(ish) fixture.

As Batch says we know what Dunne can do, which IMO is fuck all, I don't think hes not good enough, we know what Linganzi can do also, which is a bit more than Dunne but still not really good enough.

As you say none of us see him in training or in a match environment (this season) so can't say why he is out of the 1st 11, but he has promise much as Bodin did and we know how that ended.

I think Smiths future lies away from our club I am just disappointed that Flitcroft has not looked at all of the options available in a (slightly) meaningful match scenario, as IF and it is a big IF he is good enough then it would save us another wage with a new signing.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 22:37:24 »

I can promise you I don't see Smith as the new messiah
Yeah sorry, I phrased that badly - your post prompted me to post, but my point wasn't supposed to be a direct reply (which was why I didn't quote your post), if that makes sense Smiley It was more a general comment on the "Player who isn't playing being seen as the best thing ever when we're not happy with those who are playing" posts on here and more so on the FB group
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 06:55:28 »

If Smith has indeed been shipped off on loan due to attitude, would it be fair to say he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 07:49:46 »

If Smith has indeed been shipped off on loan due to attitude, would it be fair to say he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy?

But we're just going round and round in circles.

If that's the case, and he isn't going to get on the pitch under any circumstances, where was the point in recalling him a week or two ago?

And the fact that he isn't worth a sub appearance ahead of Dunne in a game like that suggests that he isn't going to get on the pitch under any circumstances. You don't need to be 'the new miles storey' to get 20 minutes in a game that nobody is interested in. Robertson always gets a game in it despite the fact that he's been found out in the league several times and will obviously go in the summer.

Maybe Brophy is also a naughty boy, but the same principle applies.

And Iandolo is a midfielder who Flitcroft sees fit to keep playing at left back. Which I might understand if the left back wasn't playing in fucking midfield.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 07:53:43 by ferret » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 07:59:14 »

well said ferret
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: