Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I might as well ask!  (Read 22067 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 10:36:30 »

the attitude thing would explain a lot given he didn't get a look in with Williams either.

Didn't someone on here post previously that he has something of a 'billy big bollocks' attitude.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 10:49:59 »

Confidence must be pretty low in the squad at the moment and the recent internal shenanigans with Vigs I wouldn't imagine is helping morale in the dressing room.

I think it's a bit too early for the alarm bells to start ringing... if you go back to half time at Blundell Park we're 2-1 up, OK not playing well, but that is only 1.5 league games ago.

We've 32 points, and in Div 4, 46 is usually around the safety mark. However the remaining games in 2017 are all horrible, with just Crewe providing something appetising on paper. So it's entirely possible we could enter 2018 with something similar to 10/11, whereby a fractured dressing room caused the garnering of only 13 points from the last 23 games.

Slides need to be halted, and it is here that Flitters' Bury stat gnaws away, however it is just conceivable that going into the Accy game as massive underdogs might just help us....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 11:18:36 »

Watching last night on iFollow I didn't think there looked like any confidence problem with the players, there was lots of back slaps going on (friendly ones) when stuff didn't go our way, Vigs seemed friendly with the defence, the only anger or attitude was Anderson kicking out at the dugout and time board when he was sent off, there doesn't seem like any issues between players to me.

We were all over them with probably 80% of the play, FGR were terrible and did not string any passing moves together their game plan was hoof it long from defence at every chance, which we dealth with in all but 2 shots, one which Vigs saved well and one which they scored from.

We must have had 12+ shots and hardly any on target, Taylor was playing in the centre and was still the only one going past his man and crossing, there was virtually nothing down the right at all, Knoyle looked lost at times with nobody to pass to in front of him but was reluctant to run past his man even though he has a fair amount of pace.

Mullin and Anderson and when he came on Woolery were really up for it.

Its pretty obvious we are crap in front of goal, Woolery looked good when he came on right up until his final shot, he missed a one on one from 6 yards out(ish).

We need shooting practice more than anything, if we had scored then FGR would have crumbled, their right back doing his best all game to get sent off which he had happen at the end despite the ref who seemed unwilling to send him off earlier in the game.

So what if Tom Smith has an attitude if he can deliver the goods on the pitch....he can't be any worse than Dunne who looked poor again when he came on and Linganzi who fell over his own feet a few times.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 11:20:20 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 11:23:48 »

We're in a bad run of form and people are over reacting. It'll pass eventually and hopefully we can hang in or around the top 7.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 11:50:58 »

Tom Smith in danger of becoming the new Storey isn't he? I don't know if he's good, bad or indifferent as I've not seen enough of him play to make that judgement. But nor has anyone else - we keep doing this, hype up some young lad as the answer to all our problems because the player not playing always looks better than what you've got. Then half the crowd fucking destroys them when they don't deliver to our (over-inflated) expectations.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 11:55:21 »

We're in a bad run of form and people are over reacting. It'll pass eventually and hopefully we can hang in or around the top 7.
Exactly, its not like we are creating nothing and leaking goals (other than Saturday) we are losing games by a solitary goal and still creating lots of chances but not hitting the back of the net.

Maybe after 10 losses ina  row then his job might be on the line but we won 6 in a row before this.

I still think we will be in the play offs at the end of the season.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:11:52 »

Tom Smith in danger of becoming the new Storey isn't he? I don't know if he's good, bad or indifferent as I've not seen enough of him play to make that judgement. But nor has anyone else - we keep doing this, hype up some young lad as the answer to all our problems because the player not playing always looks better than what you've got. Then half the crowd fucking destroys them when they don't deliver to our (over-inflated) expectations.
That is true mate but this happens at every club not just ours, a talented youngster comes through the ranks and the fans hope and pray that he becomes the new messiah.

We are lucky that in the past we have sold a lot of good young talent who went on to become good players, we have also sold a bigger amount of young players that have gone on to achieve nothing, and the fans all say "He would have been better off staying at Swindon and learning his trade with us instead of following the money". Alex Henshall, Ben Tozer, Leigh Mills etc spring to mind.

Its just fans showing optimism that we can still create or have a hand in making good players that can go onto bigger better things and that they can help our current situation/plight as the fans rarely call for them to play when we are doing well its almost always when things are not going so well.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:19:27 »

Yeah I get that, but the weight of expectation does the player no favours and I'm fed up of reading that Tom Smith is somehow the answer to all our problems. He may well be for all I (or anyone here or on social media) know; equally he may not be. The fact that successive managers (whatever you think of them) haven't apparently thought he was ready suggests he probably isn't. Yet, anyway.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:24:07 »

My issue with Smith not getting game time is that when I've seen him I've been impressed & that was in a higher division. He scored a good goal at Crewe & was excellent against Rochdale in, iirc, a 3 with Iandolo & somebody else. He shirks no challenges (see last season on James Hanson who was as big a brute as you will come across at this level) & is largely suited to L2 given that it does tend to be a lot more physical down here. Add that to Dunne's clear limitations & it winds me up to see him not get given a chance. Last night was an obvious opportunity to give him a run. I was surprised to not see him start & even more surprised to see Dunne get brought on at 0-0.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Flashheart

« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:25:56 »

It really wears thin when people go complaining that these players are not being used as though they are the saviour. The reality could well be that they are just not that good or, in Smith's case, there may be other reasons. We all want the next generation of Thomspons to come through, but some players just ain't that good.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:30:49 »

It really wears thin when people go complaining that these players are not being used as though they are the saviour. The reality could well be that they are just not that good or, in Smith's case, there may be other reasons. We all want the next generation of Thomspons to come through, but some players just ain't that good.
The brief viewings I've had of Smith so far suggests he will offer a damn sight more than Dunne is at present in, for me, the most important part of the pitch. DF's comments that what goes on between the two 18 yard boxes is largely irrelevant means he clearly sees things differently to me & presumably many others.

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:35:02 »

FWIW I don't think Smiths omission from DF's thoughts is down to ability. It may well be down to the attitude problem that has been mentioned on here previously. Just a hunch on my part based on nothing other than what I've seen of TS so far.

Flashheart

« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:36:50 »

Whereas I've heard others say that he gets lost in games and is rated mainly because he scored a scorcher once.

I don't actually have an opinion either way as I've seen so little of him. What I do know, however, is that people that are managing football clubs tend to know a fuck ton more about the game than those that voice their opinions on the internet. Myself included. I think they are likely to have at least some idea of what they are doing, and I know who's opinion I'd rather take. Asides from very few exceptions.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:38:16 »

The brief viewings I've had of Smith so far suggests he will offer a damn sight more than Dunne is at present in, for me, the most important part of the pitch. DF's comments that what goes on between the two 18 yard boxes is largely irrelevant means he clearly sees things differently to me & presumably many others.

Agreed.

ust be the oldest
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 12:43:57 »

Whereas I've heard others say that he gets lost in games and is rated mainly because he scored a scorcher once.

From reading this thread it does seem that Smith is becoming the new Miles Storey?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: