Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I might as well ask!  (Read 22076 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #105 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 14:04:36 »

I assumed he was welsh?
He may be, it sounded Italian to me!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 14:15:40 »

Born in Chatham. Middle name Carlo!

My view is that as Dunne and Linganzi are both supposed to be defensive midfielders - screening the back 3 or 4 - they have both spectacularly failed. We’ve all seen inferior teams waltz straight through the midfield.

So why not forget that and go for a midfield that can at least create a bit - the defence will be under pressure with or without those 2.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 14:40:04 »

Born in Chatham. Middle name Carlo!

My view is that as Dunne and Linganzi are both supposed to be defensive midfielders - screening the back 3 or 4 - they have both spectacularly failed. We’ve all seen inferior teams waltz straight through the midfield.

So why not forget that and go for a midfield that can at least create a bit - the defence will be under pressure with or without those 2.

Linganzi has described himself as a box to box midfielder.
Don't think we've seen the best of him yet.
Should be encouraged to just turn and drive at the opposition.
A big lump running at defences would do some damage at this level.

As for Ellis, scored a very good goal in the trophy last season.
Thought that might be a breakthrough moment for him, but then he got injured.
Worth sticking with, but not sure that Flitcroft sees him as central midfield option.

Will be interesting to see if Twine gets a chance to progress here, as of the youngsters he is the one that has been bigged up the most by the manager.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 15:03:04 »

I think Flitcroft has made it perfectly clear, via words and actions, that the middle third of the pitch, actually, 50% of the pitch, is largely irrelevant.  That a midfielder occasionally gets in possession of the ball in that part of the pitch is an inconvenience.  It seems apparent that they probably do not spend much time on the training field working on how to move the ball through the midfield, and it's left to individuals in those circumstances to react and shift the ball quickly, either back to a defender to lump it, or, just as frequent, to move it forwards with little need to worry about where.

The only time we look good on the ball, in my opinion, is counter attacking.  By it's very nature, it's an unexpected transition of play, and the players are more prone to playing off the cuff.  Whenever there is time, or thought goes into what we do, it is geared towards getting the ball in the final third through as few passes as possible.  Just look at our kick off for example - play it back, then to the left back, then forward down the line.  In fact, it is likely that stats might show we use the left back to play a much higher percentages of balls through than our right back.

Linganzi wants to be a ball player, he just isn't much cop.

Dunne seems more than happy to not have the ball - he does his level best when a full back has the ball to ensure he is not a viable passing option in fact.  This is either personal preference or by design, I imagine a mix of both.  We should probably just switch to a 5-0-5 or a 6-0-4.  The only change I think Flitcroft could make, as I assume he is who we get and his style isn't going to change, is to ensure wide players are wide players.  I'm not sure we ended up with 5 central forwards by design as much as a quick push to get numbers.  Two out an out wide players might add something.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 15:33:51 »

Which to be fair is exactly how Di Canio used to play, he was just a lot better at it and we had the players to drive forward.

Also Iandolo is 100% an Italian name.
Flashheart

« Reply #110 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 15:59:58 »

I think Flitcroft's comments about the middle of the pitch are being massively, and unfairly, being taken out of context or, at the very least, exaggerated.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 16:01:29 »

Go back a few games and the defence was looking more solid with Dunne in front of them, is it just a case that now he’s one booking away from a suspension he’s stopped tackling.

He’d probably have been better off getting a booking & a ban than how he’s played in the last few games
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 16:02:44 »

I think Flitcroft's comments about the middle of the pitch are being massively, and unfairly, being taken out of context or, at the very least, exaggerated.

It's a combination of things - the matches themselves give a clearer indication, which is why I referenced actual match situations that seem to play out regularly, which suggests a tactical preference.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 16:33:44 »

It's a combination of things - the matches themselves give a clearer indication, which is why I referenced actual match situations that seem to play out regularly, which suggests a tactical preference.
Good post earlier Rob. The real problem for me with DF's tactical preference to bypass midfield is from a defensive rather than an attacking preference. The amount of times an opposition player has picked the ball up in his own half & run 30 yards before somebody attempting to tackle him is scary. Stevenage's fifth on Sat being a prime example. If you watch the goal back you'll see that the space Newton runs into was afforded to him by Linganzis laziness in getting back. That goal was massively avoidable if Linganzi had had the desire /fitness etc to track the runner. There's probably other examples this season where surges from CM have led to goals either directly or in resulting passages of play shortly after. If Smith isn't going to get a run so we can see what he's made of then I would say that 1, if not 2, CM's would be my priority in the window.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #114 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 16:38:46 »

Go back a few games and the defence was looking more solid with Dunne in front of them, is it just a case that now he’s one booking away from a suspension he’s stopped tackling.

He’d probably have been better off getting a booking & a ban than how he’s played in the last few games
I have not seen Dunne play a good game yet but I have only seen 7 games so far this season and he has played in every one.

He is never available as an option going forward and shirks from tackles, they said after the Grimbsy game on the radio that he is no longer in danger of a ban for one more yellow card as he has now passed the amnesty date....I thought that was the end of December but they suggested it was the start of December.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 19:16:21 »

But we're just going round and round in circles.

If that's the case, and he isn't going to get on the pitch under any circumstances, where was the point in recalling him a week or two ago?

And the fact that he isn't worth a sub appearance ahead of Dunne in a game like that suggests that he isn't going to get on the pitch under any circumstances. You don't need to be 'the new miles storey' to get 20 minutes in a game that nobody is interested in. Robertson always gets a game in it despite the fact that he's been found out in the league several times and will obviously go in the summer.

Maybe Brophy is also a naughty boy, but the same principle applies.

And Iandolo is a midfielder who Flitcroft sees fit to keep playing at left back. Which I might understand if the left back wasn't playing in fucking midfield.

This is a much better post than my poor attempt at humour deserved.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: