Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Swindon  (Read 5389 times)
Robbie Earles Perm

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 11:25:57 »

Hi,

You may know I'm the pre-match reporter for the Port Vale Fans Forum One Vale Fan.

Part of my role is to contact fans of our forthcoming opponents to ask them a few questions and gain their views on the upcoming fixture between our sides in order to produce a report which we release on the site a couple of days prior to the game.

I wondered if one or more of you (up to a maximum of 3 due to space constraints) have a few minutes and would kindly be prepared to share a few views  / your feelings on the game by answering the following few questions;

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?
2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
3. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season & who should we watch out for (danger players)?
4. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?
5. Can you tell us up to 3 quirky things opposing fans might not know about your team?
6. Our fans love to read opposing team’s forums and blogs, any recommendations on these for your team?
7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?
8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?
9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides) and what do you expect the attendance to be / your away following to be?

Please also feel free to include any other information you feel worthy and I will knock it into a report as per the example below regarding contribution from Doncaster fans from a game with them;
http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2015/02/opposing-views-doncaster-h/

To enable me to produce this in good time I need a reply by Thursday and the report will appear on our website prior to the fixture.

Please also let me know if you would like me to include your name on the article and if you are prepared to share one a photo of yourself we can utilise with the article.

Many thanks for your potential support in this matter.

Best Regards,

REP
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 11:43:22 »

Hi,

1. I have followed the club since 1989, stopped going regularly in 2010.
2. We'll finish 8th.
3. Doing OK. Luke Norris
4. Don't read much about it
5. They'll be wearing green
6. Can't think of any decent forums, this one might be worth a look.
7. Mid table
8. The one that sticks in my mind was 0-0 last game of the season about 8 or 9 years ago.
9. 0-1 Norris. Att: 5,747 (865 away)
Robbie Earles Perm

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 17:11:50 »

Brilliant thanks, anyone else like to take part?

Got room for another 2 contributions.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 19:33:49 »

1. I'm Welsh & was taken to my first ever football match by my uncle (who married into the family) when I was 9 years old. Ironically it was against you lot & we won 2-0 in the first game of the 94/95 season, Jan Aage Fjortoft & Keith Scott getting the goals. I understandably became hooked & have been a season ticket holder since 96/97. Seen plenty of downs & the occasional up since then.
2. Being competitive at the top half of the table would satisfy the majority of supporters after the shit we've had to watch for the last two seasons. Seeing a side try to win games & players that give a fuck would be a vast improvement on last season. In terms of a finishing position my heart says 3rd & my head says 9th based on what I've seen so far. Putting a run of consistent results together & a decent January transfer window could easily change my mind on that front.
3. David Flitcroft has been a steady 7/10 so far. He isn't pulling any trees up but he was lect with a massive rebuild on his hands when appointed & is slowly imprinting his ideologies on the team & club.
4. I know very little about the board other than that our chairman, Lee Power, has largely taken a back seat this season in comparison to his previous levels of involvement. Player recruitment is reportedly now down to the manager which hasn't been the case for some time. On a personal level I would like the board to provide more information on the development of our recently purchased training ground & their ambitions to purchase & develop the County Ground although there may be factors preventing this. No news is good news  Hmmm
5. Our eccentric goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux once paid a £50 fine in pennies.
6. Despite being scarcely populated these days this forum is still the best one out there for Towns fans. Matchday threads are becoming skinnier by the week unfortunately though!
7. Neil Aspin looks to be a decent appointment. I fully expect you to climb to the dizzy heights of 15th.
8. Being 3-0 down & drawing 3-3 at Vale Park was memorable for Matt Hewlett scoring if nothing else. Winning L2 under Paolo Di Canio & sealing the title with a 5-0 win at the CG will also live long in the memory.
9. 2-1 Vale. Pope x 2 & McDermott for us. Att. 5,345 (462 away)

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Robbie Earles Perm

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 22:01:06 »

Brilliant thanks, space for one more contribution.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 22:32:30 »

Beating you guys in the League cup in the early eighties, before going on to beat Shef Weds (I think), then losing to Wolves in the semis.

No, sorry, that was Stoke
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 26, 2017, 07:18:06 »

I rambled a bit, where's the editor??:

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?

I'm "Batch". I think I have other names but they don't get used at football. Started following Town in the late 80's but missed most of the Premier League high being away at uni. Coming from 'Ciren' (Cirencester) I really only started coming to games regularly after passing my driving test.

2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
After the total rebuild and diametric change in styles I had no idea at the start of the season and still don't. We could finish anywhere from the top 3 to lower mid table. Best guess just inside or outside the playoffs!

3. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season & who should we watch out for (danger players)?
Our manager (Flitcroft) seems an honest, no-nonsense straight talking type. Doesn't seem one for tippy-tappy football, which after the last two seasons is a breath of fresh air when we win, and a load of long ball rubbish when we lose. But there is pressure on him to deliver after being given supposedly a largish budget for the league.
Danger Players- Tough one. Norris has scored a few but is injured. I quite like the work ethic of Mullin, but he's often sub. Anderson is from the Premier League, but its Palace. Er....I think we have a team of no-nonsense grafters so picking a silky skilled tear em up twinkle toes is difficult. Preston in defence has made a big difference to how solid we look so I'm saying him. Cause he'll keep you t and we'll wear you down (possibly!)

4. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?
The last few years have been a disastrous decline with a model of taking young premier league castoff failures and loand  and converting them into league 1 failures (mostly) so we can flog them to anyone who walked past the ground. The chairman (Power) was never going to be popular under such a backdrop.
This year to be fair to him, he's employed a manager and let the manager get on with it. Its like having a proper club back, even if we "fail".

5. Can you tell us up to 3 quirky things opposing fans might not know about your team?
Nope!
Er, er,
We've never lost at brilliant old Wembley. We've never even scored at the rubbish new Wembley. And we used to be the only team in the football league without any letters from "mackerel" in it. Still might be. Something to keep you all amused if the game is rubbish.

6. Our fans love to read opposing team’s forums and blogs, any recommendations on these for your team?
Here on the TEF is quite unmoderated
"The Washbag" is/was quite good. Not seen much from them this season

7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?
Lower-upper mid table

8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?
Son #1's first ever game: 19-April 2008: 6-0
Son #2's first ever game: 20-April 2012. 5-0

9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides) and what do you expect the attendance to be / your away following to be?[/b]

Since son#3 will be traveling to his first game so.....no only joking, I'm out of sons now. I'm guessing a tight 1-0/2-1 win. Think you may edge it..
756 away fans
Robbie Earles Perm

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 26, 2017, 09:06:50 »

Smashing replies thanks all!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 26, 2017, 10:19:01 »

Interesting point about The Washbag, looks like whoever was responsible for it has given up....  another casualty of the general malaise around the club  Hmmm
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 26, 2017, 10:20:52 »

Odd, I was only thinking this morning that the Washbag had been inactive for some while, when it first started it was excellent with some great articles and analysis.
Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 26, 2017, 10:32:26 »

Well written, insightful articles. I stopped reading though because of the almost constant negative focus. That's not to say the articles weren't accurate, but the focus tended to be on the negative and rarely on the positive. Even when things were going well.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 26, 2017, 10:44:42 »

Well written, insightful articles. I stopped reading though because of the almost constant negative focus. That's not to say the articles weren't accurate, but the focus tended to be on the negative and rarely on the positive. Even when things were going well.

There was some positives.... like this Donkey heads the ball

https://thewashbag.com/2015/07/08/the-best-ive-ever-seen-8-donkey-heads-a-football/

A lesson I learned in the late 80's fanzine scene, was that people who do this sort of stuff really well, are often not hyper fans as such but clever clogs using it as a vehicle to get into mainstream journalism.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 27, 2017, 11:44:44 »

We're the only team in the world with a "Rolex" stadium clock.

I'm sure i read somewhere that we are the most successful English team to have competed in Europe??

Always had a soft spot for Vale and hope you dont go down, but obviously hope you lose saturday  Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 27, 2017, 12:02:08 »

We're the only team in the world with a "Rolex" stadium clock.

I'm sure i read somewhere that we are the most successful English team to have competed in Europe??

Always had a soft spot for Vale and hope you dont go down, but obviously hope you lose saturday  Cheesy

Ah the Dubonnet Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubonnet_Cup

I'm glad we showed Froggy's lot how to play the beautiful game.... we also did missionary work amongst the Argentines
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 27, 2017, 12:11:51 »

Ah the Dubonnet Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubonnet_Cup

I'm glad we showed Froggy's lot how to play the beautiful game.... we also did missionary work amongst the Argentines
Also the Anglo Italian cup.
This is the article i was thinking of...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/league-cup/9821821/Can-League-Cup-heroes-Bradford-City-follow-in-the-footsteps-of-European-legends-Swindon-Town.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: