Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Wycombe Wanderererers - 'Official' Matchday Thread  (Read 13879 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 08:37:17 »

That was like reading one of them there posh newspapers Christy. Good work   Wink
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 08:41:04 »

Great "report". I put the absence of comment on the match day thread down to the absence of anything to analyse during a match (on the limited evidence I've seen this year).  Christy's roulette has it spot on.

I just marvel at how the output on a Saturday supposedly requires performance analysts, data vests, international fitness coaches and microwaves. It's all a big scam isn't it? I reckon they just play golf during the week.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 08:53:24 »

Brilliant Christy. This forum has been seriously lacking good match analysis for a while now so an excellent read. On a side note as much as I always fear Akinfenwa when he plays against us from memory I don't think he's ever actually rippled the net. Or can somebody correct me?

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 09:21:18 »

Played better on Tuesday and lost.

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 09:30:14 »

Quote from: THE FLASH
Played better on Tuesday and lost.
true, but conditions were poor yesterday so wasn't expecting much from the game.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 09:39:36 »

I thought there were glimpses of a decent team finally gelling. The weather obviously played it's part, although both teams insisted on the ball being in the air for most of the game. But when we did play it on the ground there was some decent link up play and some decent passing. Not everything came off, but it was nice to see there was intent and thought involved.
With the amount of top flight football available on tv it's sometimes difficult not to negatively compare what we see at the CG to the top tier, which is one of the reasons there's a large amount of miserable moaning bastards around! I'm pretty confident that we haven't seen the best from this team and I'll predict a top 4 finish.

It's All Good..............
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 09:42:16 »

Our form since the beginning of September....
LWLWWLWLWLW
Talk about consistency
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 09:45:42 »

On a side note as much as I always fear Akinfenwa when he plays against us from memory I don't think he's ever actually rippled the net. Or can somebody correct me?

Before yesterday, The Beast had played 12 games against us for 6 different sides, scoring 5 goals.
Last one was in 2009.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/PlayingRecord.asp?Type=Opponent&PersonID=akinfenwa_saheed_adebayo_1982

Thought that the defence coped with him pretty well yesterday but he still won most of the headers.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 09:50:38 »

I thought there were glimpses of a decent team finally gelling. The weather obviously played it's part, although both teams insisted on the ball being in the air for most of the game. But when we did play it on the ground there was some decent link up play and some decent passing. Not everything came off, but it was nice to see there was intent and thought involved.
With the amount of top flight football available on tv it's sometimes difficult not to negatively compare what we see at the CG to the top tier, which is one of the reasons there's a large amount of miserable moaning bastards around! I'm pretty confident that we haven't seen the best from this team and I'll predict a top 4 finish.

I agree. I was tearing my hair out when Taylor/Purkiss would just get the ball and whack it aimlessley forward. Pointless in the first half with a 40 mph wind behind and the ball would drift out of play. Second half it would hold up and so was a better tactic, however as the game wore on, more of our players would take the ball down and look for a red shirt by playing the ball on the ground. I wish we had done this more as I think Wycombe didn't expect it and at times we did look dangerous employing this tactic.

I do like how we don't piss around at the back anymore but a bit more football at times wouldn't go amiss.

Overall at least this side seem to work hard and play with a bit of desire, not afraid to put heads in where it hurts etc which we didn't have last season. And really that's the minimum you can ask from our players.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 10:30:13 »

I'll go with that  Yes
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 11:14:28 »

I'll go with that  Yes

One would like to think this side has an extra gear, that maybe around the festive period into the new year we'll put the foot down and put together a decent winning run.  I'm not so sure though....one of the pleasures of Div 4 is that it's a level playing field, apart from the norvern mudheaps and sandpits, meaning quality is low, so players and coaches compensate by emphasising the physical side.  Consequently wins are hard fought, and anybody can beat anybody on a given day. My guess is that we'll continue to stumble along with the win one lose one type form, probably seeing a reverse of the win away lose at home syndrome.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 12:00:09 »

Who asked about "Why are we always one of the last to finish?"

I thought that had been put to bed with the reason: "The referees look at the Rolex Watch Clock on the SB, which is a few mins slow." They set it to this, thus we finish playing late. Added time aside.  Hmmm Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 12:06:58 »

Who asked about "Why are we always one of the last to finish?"

I thought that had been put to bed with the reason: "The referees look at the Rolex Watch Clock on the SB, which is a few mins slow." They set it to this, thus we finish playing late. Added time aside.  Hmmm Hmmm

I've always assumed it's a directive from the FL/FA, especially when we're a goal up and hanging on, give the oppo 6 or 7 minutes Fergie time, to get an equaliser.

Either that or the CG is in a sort of time vortex, where the passage of time is slowed hence nothing changes very quickly.

None of this accounts for why Scottish games that ko at 3, always seem to finish at 4:45
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 13:02:21 »

I've always assumed it's a directive from the FL/FA, especially when we're a goal up and hanging on, give the oppo 6 or 7 minutes Fergie time, to get an equaliser.

Either that or the CG is in a sort of time vortex, where the passage of time is slowed hence nothing changes very quickly.

None of this accounts for why Scottish games that ko at 3, always seem to finish at 4:45
Several years ago (can't remember exactly when) half time in England was extended from 10 to 15 minutes (I move I absolutely detested and still do - 15 minutes is way too long). The Jocks stuck with 10 though, hence the earlier finishes.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 13:21:00 »

Several years ago (can't remember exactly when) half time in England was extended from 10 to 15 minutes (I move I absolutely detested and still do - 15 minutes is way too long). The Jocks stuck with 10 though, hence the earlier finishes.

I always assumed that the 10 mins to 15 change went across all football. Would account for Sweatie prompt finishes though, I thought it was probably something like how Bristol used to be in its own time zone, 10 minutes behind London, until IKB built the GWR.  Hence the clock with 3 hands to show time oin Bristol and London

« Last Edit: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 13:23:10 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: