Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Wycombe Wanderererers - 'Official' Matchday Thread  (Read 13872 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 16:35:57 »

Good win for Town.
I thought Smith did well considering the wind, took his goal nicely. Linganzi came into the game more as the game broke up, I didn't notice Dunne too much. Preston was awesome at the back and Anderson put in a great shift.
I thought we'd use the bench a bit more than Mulling for McD, but WW never reeeeeally looked like scoring. Gape was a diving little shitbag with a penchant for foul throws, El Abd was physical and the ref was a mentalist.
I particularly enjoyed WW's outrage at some time wasting, given that was their game plan for the first half.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 16:36:56 »

Hardly one for the purists but the caveat is that the weather was abysmal.

We had the wind first half and Smith scored a great volley in off the post from a Taylor centre. Their keeper then made a couple of decent saves as we turned the screw. I've never seen a team time waste so much in the first half as Wycombe but the wind was playing such a part that you can understand why they did it.

Second half we were pushed back but defended really well and Charles Cook kept them at bay. Wycombe had one shot on target that I remember. Akinfenwa with a shot well saved.

Thought Anderson deserved his man of the match, he was excellent and ran himself into the ground, as did Smith. Preston played well and we defended brilliantly.

Not going to feature much on the end of season DVD but 3 points is 3 points.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 16:48:55 »

A big win. Something we haven't had for a while, is a side, who you feel might grind a result in adverse conditions.

As autumn turns to winter this might prove handy.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 16:58:41 »

Great to get the win against a team with such a strong away record. Looking forward to Port Vale next week, although they've now won three in a row including away at Exeter today!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 17:18:52 »

I find that really surprising.  Form feels way too inconsistent right now to challenge for promotion.  Something to be said, clearly, for our very low tally of draws (or draw).

Win one lose one gets you very close at the end of the season and we have won two more, so we are on target for about 77 points, which would be more than enough for play offs.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 17:22:21 »

Great to get the win against a team with such a strong away record. Looking forward to Port Vale next week, although they've now won three in a row including away at Exeter today!

Hopefully their new manager bounce will finish next week.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 17:30:41 »

As in previous games, we worked very hard to compete and get back behind the ball quickly.  I like the style and it makes us very hard to beat with the latest lineup.

ust be the oldest
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 19:19:28 »

Kid a quid boosted the crowd today
1) You've got that the wrong way round
2) It wasn't quid a kid, it was U11s free with S/T holders
3) It had an impact (600 I think they announced) but gate was still OK even allowing for that. Wycombe brought a fair few, mind
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 19:22:53 »

Hardly one for the purists but the caveat is that the weather was abysmal.
Don't know the weather had much to do with the "not one for the purists" bit (although it clearly affected the game), that's just how we play down here. And it's kind of effective, thought we were good value for the win, on another day could have scored a couple. Best (only?) bit of skill from either side was Akinfenwa doing his juggling seal act and getting a decent shot off second half, good job keeper was alert to save it as it would have been a good goal.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 20:44:38 »

Thought we really battled and fought for those three points, something that has been missing at home recently.  Smith and Anderson gave their defence a torrid time, should have been 3 up at half time, rode our luck a little in the second half but overall were deserved winners.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 22:59:20 »

I thought we defended well, but were dire (again) going forward. Smith took his goal very well but offered fuck all else as a target man - I liked andersons movement but he was never going to be able to cope with the long balls up to him

In the context of this season this will end up being a good 3 points, but miserable me still feels it was a rubbish performance

Things get better but they never get good
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, October 21, 2017, 23:27:09 »

It's been a while.  Carlisle away, first game of the season, when I last put pen to paper to share my thoughts.  I'm not going to lie, it's been tough, this League Two lark,  But now, now, I have acclimatised: I AM MATCH FIT.

So this acclimatisation: my enthusiasm has been such that I couldn't even take in the short hops to Forest Wherever or Cheltenham, I've not read every post in the TEF every day, and sometimes I don't even know who or where we're playing until like, days before.  So at last I understand, aided by AN Other's description of this as 'roulette football' - there's basically nothing not left to chance.  Smash the ball into a massive bundle of players and at the end of 90 minutes, someone has won a header or something and it's all 'great togetherness' and 'fantastic organisation' until the next spin of the wheel, when it's probably a 'microwaved process' or 'long term losing mentality'.  This week it's been suggested elsewhere that pole dancing could be an Olympic sport.  If that's so, say I, surely League Two football is worth a shout?  There's more difference to this keen observer between games played in the Premier League and our humble basement level home than there is between the entire codes of Rugby Union and League, so why not?  Maybe a rule or two would need formalising - every set play must start with a fifty yard kick or throw of the football, and must be headed by the next player, in competition with a minimum of three other players, for example - but I see no issue there.

Oh sorry.  I always start with the intent to write about the game, but then forget and go rambling off somewhere else.  So the game, and there were a few minutes there today when I did genuinely forget I was supposed to be watching.  The ball was over the other side, intermittently disappearing into the pack before shooting back into the sky, and then getting lost by the steward or someone fell over or...you can see why I drifted away.  It was minutes before it inadvertently appeared again in the vast green space over here, before the hunting pack chased it down again.  In the last few days, we've had the pleasure of hosting the Cowleys of Lincoln, those terribly bright young things, and the long-lasting if less lauded Ainsworth of Wycombe and my-oh-my, if these are the future of football, take me to the pole dancing.  Such terrific exponents of the dark arts - Lincoln, blocks, borderline thuggery and 'game management; Wycombe, time-wasting from the off, feigning injury...doubtless we're not saints either (thank goodness after the limp and putrid Williams reign), but hey, this is my piece and partisanship rules.

Already the game, such as it was, is confined to the great junk folder in my head.  Another poor game made worse by the wind.  Or, entirely optimistically, maybe the conditions ruined what might have been an absolute classic.  Interestingly, we adopted an extremely narrow 4-3-3, with McDermott popping up here and there in what looked a more fluid approach, and at times we certainly had more players seemingly capable of anticipating where the ball might eventually land than of late.  The goal was wonderful, a high loopy sort of cross characteristic of the enthusiastic Taylor, and Big Harry got in front of his man to then land a speculative volley in off the post.  To say he missed three or four better chances would be harsh on him, and their keeper, who otherwise smartly saved what was thrown at him.

Credit too where it's due to the defensive performance, largely keeping Wycombe at bay, and for showing the sort of desperation to keep what we've got, that has been sadly missing from the DNA for a wee while.  I'll stick my neck out and recognise that Purkiss did relatively well given what was thrown at him, but genuinely, there was plenty to applaud from a yes, teamly, togetherness and resilient perspective.  Despite the x-rated style and performance, we're in the top seven, which must be the absolute minimum expectation: if ever there was a case of the end justifying the means, this must be it.  If we don't find a way to get promoted, please don't expect me to talk nicely to you come May.

And to the best bit, Flitcroft on the radio afters.  I have never heard a man so delighted to have beaten Wycombe Wanderers 1-0.  This coldest of hearts melted as he regaled us with tales of Professor Funk, of his tinpot band with Gazza (the Ainsworth one), and of his utter joy for his team.  This is a good thing, although I'd prefer it if he moved on from his obsession with that Lincoln defender and his mentality just about now.  This is what winning games means, this is what we've missed.  It matters. 

This is why we need to get behind our roulette football and ensure that if League Two football does make the Olympics, we're the ones watching it rather than competing in it.  Three pages on the match day thread indicates we have some processes to microwave before we're all on that page.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 07:15:00 »

I think that post should be pinned to the home page Christy!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 07:54:55 »

Take a bow, Christy!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, October 22, 2017, 08:21:40 »

Christy  Thumb

Would be interesting to know if the stats indicate that this is a "first goal wins" league.
Seems to be so, in the main, as far as our games have gone so far.

Always good to watch Akinfenwa in action.
Takes the abuse in good humour, has obvious limitations as a player but does what he does within those limits very well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: