Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wi Fi  (Read 5599 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:33:01 »

One for you trechies out there, the wifi on my lap top keeps dropping off for seconds and then immediately reconnecting, it seems to be OK on my phone and tablet which makes me think the problem is with the laptop rather than the router or internet into the house?

Any ideas as its beginning to get right on my tits!  Bad Mood
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:45:31 »

Go into the Power Options control panel.

Click on change plan settings next to the selected plan and then select change advanced power settings. Then for the wireless adapter setting change it to Maximum Performance.

Then also right click your wifi adapter -> click Properties -> click Configure -> click Power Management....

Uncheck the box “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

If that fails go to the manufacturers web site and download the latest correct driver for it, then go to control panel and uninstall the old driver completely, reboot the laptop and install the new clean driver driver.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:47:26 »

Oddly had the same issue between an old laptop and the BT Homehub 5. Never did solve it (tried Venks suggestions). Usually the only resolution was to reboot the homehub.

Mind you the homehub was a POS. The DHCP server frequently shit the bed.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:50:25 »

Oddly had the same issue between an old laptop and the BT Homehub 5. Never did solve it (tried Venks suggestions). Usually the only resolution was to reboot the homehub.

Mind you the homehub was a POS. The DHCP server frequently shit the bed.

I will try Mr Venkmans suggestion its also a Homehub 5 which suggests possibly that is the problem.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:52:30 »

Dunno, new(ish) laptop is prone to the very odd dropout too but I've not checked the power management on that. At least with the new one it reconnects when you tell it to.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:53:31 »

The other thing if that doesnt work is go into the router settings and change the channel, sometimes a slight clash of channels can have a similar effect.

If you have a smart homehub then try connecting to the 5ghz band rather than the 2.4ghz.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:58:39 »

Go into the Power Options control panel.

Click on change plan settings next to the selected plan and then select change advanced power settings. Then for the wireless adapter setting change it to Maximum Performance.

Then also right click your wifi adapter -> click Properties -> click Configure -> click Power Management....

Uncheck the box “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

If that fails go to the manufacturers web site and download the latest correct driver for it, then go to control panel and uninstall the old driver completely, reboot the laptop and install the new clean driver driver.

Done the bit in bold but it was already set at maximum performance, could not find wi-fi adapter and in terms of the third option what driver do I need - apologies when it comes to computers I am a bit of a fuckwit (well a lot really!)
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:09:44 »

Done the bit in bold but it was already set at maximum performance, could not find wi-fi adapter and in terms of the third option what driver do I need - apologies when it comes to computers I am a bit of a fuckwit (well a lot really!)
Go to the manufacturers web site....put in the exact model number of the laptop and usually there is a link for support and the drivers will be listed down there, download the appropriate "wifi" driver "not the network driver" and put it into a place you can find it, alternatively put the model number on here, which Windows version you are using and I will link you to the correct one mate.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:12:51 »

Go to the manufacturers web site....put in the exact model number of the laptop and usually there is a link for support and the drivers will be listed down there, download the appropriate "wifi" driver "not the network driver" and put it into a place you can find it, alternatively put the model number on here, which Windows version you are using and I will link you to the correct one mate.

You are a star, being an inept lazy twat its an Acer Aspire E15 running windows 10.....
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:15:46 »

You are a star, being an inept lazy twat its an Acer Aspire E15 running windows 10.....
No such number on Acers website! PM me the serial number I can do a check based on that, it will say s/n: followed by about 10 digits or so.

Is it x64 or x32 bit OS?

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:17:38 »

No such number on Acers website! PM me the serial number I can do a check based on that, it will say s/n: followed by about 10 digits or so.

Is it x64 or x32 bit OS?

There is a SN but its fucking huge, try E5-571-35WU for model no?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:22:08 »

There is a SN but its fucking huge, try E5-571-35WU for model no?
Windows 10 64 bit?

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:25:47 »

Windows 10 64 bit?

I dont fucking know.... done a bit of searching its 64....
Peter Venkman

« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:25:50 »

Go into control panel and see if it is a Broadcomm, Intel or Atheros wifi card.

Windows 10 x64 drivers....

If its Broadcomm -
https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Broadcom_12.0.1.653_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635760939730106752&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20E5-571&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

If its Intel -
https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Intel_18.11.0.8_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635760938126256752&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20E5-571&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

If its Atheros -
https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.321_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635760939931616752&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20E5-571&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:39:58 »

I think its broadcomm in network properties it says wi-fi then The broadcomm 802.11 network adapter provides wireless local area networking....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: