Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wycombe  (Read 8437 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:51:39 »

Brewdog have already started down the path of selling out, private equity having given the two owners a hefty payout for a % of the business.

The micro brewery trend is pretty good over here as well, have a coupe near me in a town probably 1/3 the population size of Swindon, and I'm in the South.  Think it's bigger in the North Eastern and N Central States.

I imagine strong wind combined with our style could make it more fun to watch.

BrewDog does my head in, have a couple of mates who contributed to the crowdfunding thing and you would think they were involved in some manner of Bournemouth style plucky story the amount they witter on about it, from my limited tastings its over priced in silly small bottles and the few I have tasted had an air of Special Brew about them! Plus all the punk stuff doesn't really add up when you have become a corporate monolith with private equity involved - they are to brewing what Rapha is to cycling...

Just in the process of starting to home brew myself again after a break of many years, needed a hobby so we shall see.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 13:14:06 »

There's a place in Reading where you can make your own (can upload images onto the label and everything). You basically go in, select the ingredients, mix it for a couple of mins then come back after a few weeks to collect a crate. Because you've technically brewed it, you don't get taxed on it. It's brilliant!

That sounds pretty cool, might be a nice idea for my Dad's birthday actually. Do they give you any guidance on what to select etc?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 13:16:25 »

That sounds pretty cool, might be a nice idea for my Dad's birthday actually. Do they give you any guidance on what to select etc?

More importantly being is Reading is it accompanied by a cool song?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 13:26:09 »

More importantly being is Reading is it accompanied by a cool song?
I was taking that as a given, natch!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 14:01:27 »

Brewdog are an interesting example, they were at the forefront of craft and paved the way for many others however the equity punk thing seems more and more like a Ponzi scheme. It’s great that good their core range is widely available and beers like Punk IPA and Dead Pony Clubs are solid if unspectacular examples of their respective styles. More importantly though is the fact they act as a gateway for many drinkers who wouldn’t otherwise know where to start. Their bars are good, they still make some excellent beers but with their expansion the punk ethos rings hollow.

Tails - I don’t suppose that is Wild Weather Ales?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 14:02:38 »

Brewdog have already started down the path of selling out, private equity having given the two owners a hefty payout for a % of the business.

The micro brewery trend is pretty good over here as well, have a coupe near me in a town probably 1/3 the population size of Swindon, and I'm in the South.  Think it's bigger in the North Eastern and N Central States.

I imagine strong wind combined with our style could make it more fun to watch.
Where are you? I might have to place an order with you...

The microbrewery scene in the US is crazy.
Panda Paws

« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 14:51:46 »

It's ace isn't it. Two weeks in the US a few weeks ago. Didn't drink the same beer twice. Couple of duffers but on the whole it was brilliant.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 16:10:45 »

You can taste a few bits before yeah Smiley its called Brew Masons
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 16:34:45 »

Where are you? I might have to place an order with you...

Metro Atlanta (to the South) in Georgia.

It's not as big here but catching on, especially around Atlanta itself.  I know up North it's much bigger but bars here have about 30-40 different beers on tap, plus bottles.  I've switched to IPA since moving, you'll find some good 6-8% ones.

Abide is my very local, you can't actually buy it retail.  It's only sold via "tasting tours" at the brewery or on tap in many of the local bars.

Sweetwater is probably the most well known in the State, 420 extra Pale Ale being most frequently found, with not so subtle hints at the hops included!
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 18:56:50 »

Just ordered a party seven and a couple bottles of Mackeson from  Davenports beer at home .
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 20:24:13 »

You can taste a few bits before yeah Smiley its called Brew Masons
Cheers, will look them up
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 20:49:01 »

Metro Atlanta (to the South) in Georgia.

It's not as big here but catching on, especially around Atlanta itself.  I know up North it's much bigger but bars here have about 30-40 different beers on tap, plus bottles.  I've switched to IPA since moving, you'll find some good 6-8% ones.

Abide is my very local, you can't actually buy it retail.  It's only sold via "tasting tours" at the brewery or on tap in many of the local bars.

Sweetwater is probably the most well known in the State, 420 extra Pale Ale being most frequently found, with not so subtle hints at the hops included!

We flew into Atlanta recently. It was probably the friendliest place we've ever been to, and tempted to return to actually see more than the airport and a hotel. Would you recommend Atlanta as a city to visit? We are thinking of doing a 'music' road trip to the states and going to Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans etc in the next few years. I certainly found it way more friendly than New York.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 21:17:54 »

I certainly found it way more friendly than New York.
Isn't being stabbed in the face more friendly than New York though? (Disclaimer: never been, just going on what I've heard)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 21:22:41 »

We flew into Atlanta recently. It was probably the friendliest place we've ever been to, and tempted to return to actually see more than the airport and a hotel. Would you recommend Atlanta as a city to visit? We are thinking of doing a 'music' road trip to the states and going to Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans etc in the next few years. I certainly found it way more friendly than New York.

Atlanta itself is quite a good city.  Plenty of good dining options and some good places to visit like the Olympic Park and Piedmont Park has events.  It is a 3.5 hour road trip through some mountains to Nashville which is party city, as is Memphis.

Southern hospitality is alive and well, but it can be a bit surface deep outside the big city.  They are all lovely but have some horrific prejudices in the less metropolitan areas.  It is a good region to have a drive around though.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 22:30:45 »

Back on topic I have to get the train at about half 10, so if they do call the game off I won't be very happy as it'll be when I've already made the journey.
Have games ever been called off due to wind before?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: