Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Lincoln Match day thread  (Read 30368 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 11:34:38 »

And now you've turned your back on it all. What a waste.

I'll see you when the 'good times' are back.
Bit harsh Tails? Each to their own and all that?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 11:48:00 »

I can fully understand why people don't go when the 'entertainment' on display is dross. Especially when money is tight.

What I don't buy is the the 'losing our soul/club' crap that people pull. Clubs go through ebs and flows. When the football gets good again, and it will, the same people will be returning to the same club that is still there, and always had been there.

Whilst I take your point about about ebbs and flows but I think football has changed a lot over the last few years.
The money now, is very top heavy much more so than it has been before. I think the gap between the 'rich' and the 'poor' is getting bigger.

Therefore, I'm not sure the ebbs and flows still exist in game. Even now, I can't see another Swansea or Bournemouth run from bottom to top. Even getting the elusive millionaire backing, so many teams have them it's not even a huge advantage.

I guess we will see what the future holds.

...on...fans and attendances. People will turn up for winning football. Always have and always will. I've never bought it as an entertainment business and even if I did - the most entertaining bit was always the winning. I've left plenty of boring, dire games which we've won happy. Never left a thrilling 4-3 defeat with a penalty, a red card and a fox on the pitch and thought, we lost but that was entertaining so I'm happy.

However, what do I know. I think Kevin MacDonalds first game in charge was the last game I went to. Not going every week (...or any week) was actually one of the best decisions I have ever made.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:07:54 »

Huddersfield have lived the "fairy tale" as well, and Brighton over a slightly longer window.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:21:16 »

Bit harsh Tails? Each to their own and all that?

Yeah course he's entitled to do whatever he wants with his time. I just think its dumb and I don't tend to have much of a filter Smiley Preferring Soccer Saturday to watching it live... Still completely befuddled by it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:47:45 »

Yeah course he's entitled to do whatever he wants with his time. I just think its dumb and I don't tend to have much of a filter Smiley Preferring Soccer Saturday to watching it live... Still completely befuddled by it.

Perhaps he just has a thing for Jeff Stelling?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 12:53:27 »

Following Swindon is akin to a form of natural selection. It's all in the phenotype.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 13:13:02 »

Preferring Soccer Saturday to watching it live... Still completely befuddled by it.
Agree with that. The games I don't go to, I listen on the radio (or stick 5 live on the radio if out of Wilts) and get on with doing something. Couldn't stand to be stuck in front of the telly on a Saturday afternoon, but again, that's just me. Each to their own.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 13:38:34 »

Agree with that. The games I don't go to, I listen on the radio (or stick 5 live on the radio if out of Wilts) and get on with doing something. Couldn't stand to be stuck in front of the telly on a Saturday afternoon, but again, that's just me. Each to their own.

I do envy you lot who are able to listen to match commentary whenever you like.  I've not been able to for many years.  Bugs me that reception for other local BBC Radio stations (incl Oxford, Berkshire etc) seems to extend over a wide area...but BBC Radio Swindon/Wiltshire (or whatever they are calling it these days) cuts out by the time we pass Membury on the way home.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #113 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 15:08:40 »

I do envy you lot who are able to listen to match commentary whenever you like.  I've not been able to for many years.  Bugs me that reception for other local BBC Radio stations (incl Oxford, Berkshire etc) seems to extend over a wide area...but BBC Radio Swindon/Wiltshire (or whatever they are calling it these days) cuts out by the time we pass Membury on the way home.
This, BBC Wiltshire has shocking coverage in the South, even though I am only just over 30 miles out of the Southern boundary of Wiltshire there is no reception at all, but I can get BBC Wales clear as a bell and thats 50+ mies away as the crows fly.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #114 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 15:22:03 »

You can listen, you just need to pay.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 15:26:39 »

It's local radio, for local people
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 15:41:32 »

Surely what he said was he preferred to spend his money playing golf and having a couple of beers instead of watching Town because he finds it more enjoyable right now. The Soccer Saturday was just a way of keeping an eye on it?

At least that's how I read it.

And whilst it doesn't happen to everyone I see his point. 10 years ago I'd never dream of not watching a Town game. Now if it wasn't for location and kids I may well be a 'pick and choose' attender.

As DV pointed out its changed, I think the prospects of reaching the Championship and staying there are remote. If there is no hope what's the point. I've lived through and watched proper shit Town sides and felt defiant not defeated. Maybe its me that's changed.

But as I say these thing creep upon you.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 17:42:50 »

This, BBC Wiltshire has shocking coverage in the South, even though I am only just over 30 miles out of the Southern boundary of Wiltshire there is no reception at all, but I can get BBC Wales clear as a bell and thats 50+ mies away as the crows fly.

I could always get BBC Wiltshire clear as day in bath

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: