Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Lincoln Match day thread  (Read 30369 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:56:33 »

That's not really the 'plain truth' though is it as you are comparing apples and pears....

Exeter is not a million miles away with good train links and on a Saturday, Lincoln to Swindon is a ball ache to do probably not possible by train on a weekday evening, which I suspect also puts off a lot of home supporters... I know when I used to do home games reasonably regularly I used to train it as frankly I need a drink to watch Swindon and thus never did midweek games.
Even leaving away fans out of the equation as the effect is marginal in L2, midweek vs Saturday is a big difference for home fans - time off work, other commitments, transport issues etc all more of a consideration than a Saturday fixture. If Audrey wants to compare like for like, Saturday's gate will be more telling. I suspect though it will bear his point out, albeit not as sharply.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:02:14 »

The plain truth is that against Exeter we had 7000 home fans. That has quickly eroded to 5500 fans. It’s not the cost per se, it’s the crap on offer sadly. Surely there must be some middle ground between Luke’s Lullaggers and Flitcroft’s Hoofers

It's pretty much always been the case that you get a decent turn out for the first home game, tends to be pleasantly warm and folk have been starved of football through the close season.  We didn't even manage a pre season friendly at the CG, or and open training session for fans to have a look at essentially a complete new squad.

For many their enthusiasm is short lived, they can see same shit different year so pick and chose. A good example would be the PdC Div 4 season.... 8000+ for the opener, lose 4 in a row including to Oxford at the CG and you've shelled 2000 in a month.

Win some games, and many will return.
Stevens

« Reply #92 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:17:12 »

Win some games, and many will return.

I wouldn't be confident about that.

I have a 140 mile round trip and normally bring 3 others, we have not been to the last 3 home games and have no intention of going in the near future.
A game of golf seems to be the order of the day now on Saturday mornings followed by a couple of pints.
It's cheaper than watching that rubbish.
When I was younger I would go and watch whatever our position in the league or style of football, as you get older (in my case and my colleagues) you think - no. It buggers up the weekend watching that dross.

I sit in front of Sky Sports Gillette now on Saturday afternoons, seems a much better option than forking out money to seeing players who are not good enough in my opinion for league two playing hoof ball.
Flashheart

« Reply #93 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:22:07 »

Do we have a similar problem to England where players are played generally out of position in order to try and get them onto the pitch?

For example I have read that Goddard, Mullin and Woolery are generally deployed on the wing, rather than their preferred positions. Goddard is a number 10 and Mullin and Woolery are strikers and not wingers.

England are trying to shoehorn Rashford and Sterling onto the pitch in positions where they are not playing for their club sides and they look generally out of sorts.

Is it just a case of round pegs, round holes?

Woolery is not necessarily an out an out striker, and was used out wide by FGR before he joined us. I pointed this out when people were bemoaning his strike rate when he first joined.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:28:12 »

If we were winning every game at home we'd be getting 7000+ each game. Style is irrelevant if you're winning.

It's All Good..............
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:30:03 »

I wouldn't be confident about that.

I have a 140 mile round trip and normally bring 3 others, we have not been to the last 3 home games and have no intention of going in the near future.
A game of golf seems to be the order of the day now on Saturday mornings followed by a couple of pints.
It's cheaper than watching that rubbish.
When I was younger I would go and watch whatever our position in the league or style of football, as you get older (in my case and my colleagues) you think - no. It buggers up the weekend watching that dross.

I sit in front of Sky Sports Gillette now on Saturday afternoons, seems a much better option than forking out money to seeing players who are not good enough in my opinion for league two playing hoof ball.

And people say our fans aren't the problem.....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:35:52 »

And people say our fans aren't the problem.....

It isn't compulsory Tails.  People have always dropped in and out of fandom, often the most vocal and opinionated are the first to drop off. 

That we can still get around 5500, despite our decline under Power is actually a tribute to those that still bother.  You only have to go back to the early noughties to see that things could get worse attendance wise.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:39:13 »

That we can still get around 5500, despite our decline under Power is actually a tribute to those that still bother. 

Under power we have dropped from the 3rd to the 4th division, its hardly fucking Leeds or Portsmouth
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:45:17 »

It isn't compulsory Tails.  People have always dropped in and out of fandom, often the most vocal and opinionated are the first to drop off.  

That we can still get around 5500, despite our decline under Power is actually a tribute to those that still bother.  You only have to go back to the early noughties to see that things could get worse attendance wise.

I'm not saying it is.

But "I'd rather watch soccer Saturday" doesn't really wash with me. I'm not claiming I'm a super fan - I don't go every week mainly because I genuinely cant and it costs too much, but I go when I can. It's a 100 mile round trip for me as well. I'm genuinely flabbergasted someone would rather sit at home. I'd rather travel, watch us play shit and lose then have a whinge on here and twitter than sit at home and not be involved at all. That's what being a football fan is!

I've said it before - we moan when we're treated like customers but that's exactly how a lot of us act. If this is the attitude of our fan base then quite frankly, we deserve shite div 4 hoofball.
Stevens

« Reply #99 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:52:12 »

I'm not saying it is.

But "I'd rather watch soccer Saturday" doesn't really wash with me. I'm not claiming I'm a super fan - I don't go every week mainly because I genuinely cant and it costs too much, but I go when I can. It's a 100 mile round trip for me as well. I'm genuinely flabbergasted someone would rather sit at home. I'd rather travel, watch us play shit and lose then have a whinge on here and twitter than sit at home and not be involved at all. That's what being a football fan is!

I've said it before - we moan when we're treated like customers but that's exactly how a lot of us act. If this is the attitude of our fan base then quite frankly, we deserve shite div 4 hoofball.

Until this year, I have been a season ticket holder for as long as I can remember, hardly ever missing a game at home and watching at least 6 or 7 away games a season.
I do not use 'twitter' and the only forum I belong to is this one, and I do not post very often either.
I am not one to moan at a game and shout abuse at players or boo players.
If you read my first post I stated I would attend through good or bad in the past, but quite frankly being a pensioner I do feel the cost of watching this kind of football is worth it.
All the best.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 09:58:56 »

I'm not saying it is.

I spent 9 years living elsewhere, a lot of my Saturday afternoons I'd go and watch the local side. Town would be away games close at hand and high days and holidays.

There are some fundamentalists, who when I've explained to them, I've gone to watch say Spurs getting a 0-0 draw at The Dell, to secure a 3rd place promotion to the top flight, rather than going to watch Town, regard this as heresy for which a stake, some kindling,  a pile of brushwood and flint and steel would be merited.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:01:19 »

Until this year, I have been a season ticket holder for as long as I can remember, hardly ever missing a game at home and watching at least 6 or 7 away games a season.
I do not use 'twitter' and the only forum I belong to is this one, and I do not post very often either.
I am not one to moan at a game and shout abuse at players or boo players.
If you read my first post I stated I would attend through good or bad in the past, but quite frankly being a pensioner I do feel the cost of watching this kind of football is worth it.
All the best.

And now you've turned your back on it all. What a waste.

I'll see you when the 'good times' are back.
Flashheart

« Reply #102 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:09:55 »

I can fully understand why people don't go when the 'entertainment' on display is dross. Especially when money is tight.

What I don't buy is the the 'losing our soul/club' crap that people pull. Clubs go through ebs and flows. When the football gets good again, and it will, the same people will be returning to the same club that is still there, and always had been there.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #103 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:53:43 »

I can fully understand why people don't go when the 'entertainment' on display is dross. Especially when money is tight.

What I don't buy is the the 'losing our soul/club' crap that people pull. Clubs go through ebs and flows. When the football gets good again, and it will, the same people will be returning to the same club that is still there, and always had been there.
This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 10:58:52 »

Unless they get a big foam hand and go to the Ice Hockey whilst making a big song and dance about it in the Advertiser....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: