Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Lincoln Match day thread  (Read 30378 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 13:24:09 »

King dragged us into the 4k crowds, so we can go further!

I'd agree to a point on the style thing - clubs have done well in L1 with this style, but better players would be needed.

I disagree on fitness - I don't think it has much to do with anything, we are just playing football in a way that makes the result dependent on fine margins.  We cannot exert any control on a match if we lump it forward with such persistence, same goes for the teams we are playing against.  That in of itself means that every 15 seconds or so possession changes hands and the other teams has a go.  Under that approach, it's open to a lot of chance and people can score for either side at the drop of a hat - the old less than 5 passes lark that Wilkinson used to spout.

I continue to maintain we should reach the play offs, and that is because I think the players we can select at the top of the team are ever so slightly better than most of what we play against, which just tips the odds in our favour a little, plus we can put in a good set piece on occasion.  Those will mean we probably end-up with a smidge over 1.5 point per game over the course of 46 matches.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 13:29:43 »

Audrey is exactly right - I said this to somebody after the Cheltenham game. The thing is, the style of football might just get us out of this division - but that is about it. And you cannot bin off a manager after promotion

No he's exactly wrong... we're in Div 4, so need to play Div 4 football. Needs to be effective Div 4 football, worry about Div 3 if and when we get there. Right now our focus needs to be on Wycombe, a form team undefeated on the road, who will doubtless bring a few, with a large drum expecting an easy win.

Flitters needs to devise a way of at least avoiding defeat...it matters not if it ain't pretty.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 13:31:23 »

For me, the big question is whether this is Flitcroft's preferred style. If it is and we do manage to get promoted it’s going to get us nowhere in L1. Plus, how many fans would we have lost along the way.

He may be the man to get us out of this league, but not to take the club forward. We’ve shed 2000+ fans over the last season and a bit. It can’t continue.

This isn't a dig at you but a point I've raised a few times.... The fans got exactly what they wanted!

"Passion". Doing away with the 'identity'. Signing experienced players. A 'proper' (ie - not a yes man) manager in full control of who we sign. Getting it Forward.

So no excuses really to the ones who stayed away for those reasons. Maybe if we had a support that didn't look for reasons not to go, or who don't do this "who cares the least" competition then perhaps we'd do a little better at home. Who knows. Personally I enjoy this year more than I did the last two years simply because its nice to see a bunch of players who actually give a shit. They looked gutted at the end and didn't deserve to be booed.

The only time I've known Town fans to really be happy was when we were freely spending a shit load of money and winning every week. So that's the minimum criteria for our fan base to be content.

I do slightly agree with your point about Flitcroft not being the answer in League One.. But you can't say until it happens - he may never even get us there but if he does he deserves a crack at it(as long as we're not getting dicked every week). The style of play has been successful for a fuck ton of teams in L1 - you just have to do it right.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 13:32:09 »

Or it may be that Flitcroft is just being pragmatic and will adapt his style depending on the resources available to him and the context in which he has to deploy them? i.e. he might be savvy enough to realise that works in L2 wouldn't work in L1, just as Power was to realise the opposite was true
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 13:53:57 »

I doubt it, his history suggests otherwise and he doesn't openly believe this is long ball stuff.  It seems so on purpose to me as to suggest a tactical/strategic vision - he does like those types of descriptions.  It is what it is, given the league we are in it will work provided our players have that little edge over the rest of the teams, and we do on most, sufficient enough that a corner meets a head and goes in, or ball falls to an attacking group who create a clear cut chance, more often the opposition.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 13:54:58 »

Oh, and if you can't tell, it annoys me :-)

Only because I paid to watch every damned one of the 46 games that will play out this way.  I won't be moaning about it if we go up though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 14:27:52 »

As regards current expectations, it's worth considering that only 6 teams in Div 4, haven't been in the Conference or below relatively recently.

That's the 4 who dropped last season and Crewe and Notts, both of whom flirted last season.  Chesterfield and BPV are struggling this year.

This is the level to which Power has taken us, and it's going to be difficult to arrest the decline.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 14:37:09 »

No he's exactly wrong... we're in Div 4, so need to play Div 4 football.

Sturrock got us out of division 4 and his standard of football was nowhere near as shite as this season thus far

I come from a land down-under
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 14:43:32 »

Sturrock got us out of division 4 and his standard of football was nowhere near as shite as this season thus far

Sturrock was a noted purveyor of direct football, but successful. When he landed the gig at Soton, his first signing was Peter Crouch, such was the stick from Saints fans at the perceived anti football nature of Sturrock's methods, which the Crouchmeister seemed to signify Luggy was soon sacked. Soton rapidly found themselves in Div 3, enabling their fans to reconsider, Crouch is still knocking them  in the Prem.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 14:45:48 »

Be interesting to know if the crowds would be bigger if our away form and home form were reversed. If the 84th minute goal was scored by us last night the performance would have been identical - dreadful viewing.

Winning just isn’t enough for a lot of people to justify forking out £23 on a regular basis. God knows what Power’s breakeven figure is - but we must be miles off
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 14:53:00 »

The style of football played I think is on a par with others is L2 it is direct, it is ugly but it is what works and I hope it is what can get us out, but what frustrated me last night was we was crying out for a little bit of creativity in the middle so we didn't just lump it forward just someone who could play a pass in sometimes so we had a different option.

I noticed at the end Norris was holding his shoulder again but there seem to be no movement from the bench to either get him off or try and get a sub on hopefully that means nothing serious as the way we are playing we need a big man up front cant imagine lumping it up to Anderson or Woolery
normy

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 15:06:15 »

As I left the ground last night, a very disgruntled man shouted at me," League 4 shite, not worth £24 . " I replied "It's better to watch than last years shite"  but the guy said he wouldn't be coming back again.

As others said, it's more like what we were asking for last year, and what can you expect with a completely new team to bed in?  If Flitcroft keeps us comfortably up I shall be happy, as I did expect the worst in pre-season.

ust be the oldest
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 15:11:07 »

This isn't a dig at you but a point I've raised a few times.... The fans got exactly what they wanted!

"Passion". Doing away with the 'identity'. Signing experienced players. A 'proper' (ie - not a yes man) manager in full control of who we sign. Getting it Forward.

So no excuses really to the ones who stayed away for those reasons. Maybe if we had a support that didn't look for reasons not to go, or who don't do this "who cares the least" competition then perhaps we'd do a little better at home. Who knows. Personally I enjoy this year more than I did the last two years simply because its nice to see a bunch of players who actually give a shit. They looked gutted at the end and didn't deserve to be booed.

The only time I've known Town fans to really be happy was when we were freely spending a shit load of money and winning every week. So that's the minimum criteria for our fan base to be content.

I do slightly agree with your point about Flitcroft not being the answer in League One.. But you can't say until it happens - he may never even get us there but if he does he deserves a crack at it(as long as we're not getting dicked every week). The style of play has been successful for a fuck ton of teams in L1 - you just have to do it right.

I do wonder whether a lot of our issues with fans relates to those who started going in the PDC years and expected the club to continue to piss money up the wall.

Cards on table I thankfully haven't seen us in the flesh this year, but reading threads on here it seems that 'stop passing it around and get it forward quickly' has been directly replaced by 'stop getting it forward quickly and pass it around'?

Whilst others get the baby oil out at the prospect of a 'I told you so' relegation fight....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 15:19:14 »

As I left the ground last night, a very disgruntled man shouted at me," League 4 shite, not worth £24 . "
Is it your fault then?

reading threads on here it seems that 'stop passing it around and get it forward quickly' has been directly replaced by 'stop getting it forward quickly and pass it around'?
Yep and by the same people from what I've heard (at the ground, not on the internet)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 18:15:44 »

I guess at the end of the day, Lincoln's line up was better than ours.... Preston, Lancashire being unable to compete with Vickers, Long, Dickie........ Knott, Green
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 18:21:59 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: