Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Lincoln Match day thread  (Read 30486 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 20:48:35 »

One thing that would improve us is having a forward who can bully a defence.  Norris is trying hard, and it seems odd given he is top scorer (although Penalties weigh heavily in that), but he doesn't make much stick.  That means the trickier players are less likely to get on the ball upfront so it really is hit and hope.  As we seem intent on playing it direct, having that target man would work better and improve our chances.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 20:51:53 »

We may as well go all out attack at home as we are no less likely to lose than with this approach. 4 defeats from 8 is shocking and crowds will continue to fall at home as everyone now knows we are terrible at home.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 20:55:43 »

I think the only difference is that away the spaces are bigger when the balls bounces off Norris or their defenders, giving us more opportunities to get on the front foot with the 2nd ball.  At home teams probably sit in a bit more, meaning they can hoover up more of those long balls.  It is really fine margins.  I still haven't seen anyone play us who looked better than us bar Exeter.  We had two losses where huge tactical errors/player errors cost us, outside of that it has all been games like today.  Luton being the exception thanks to them being down to 10 men.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 21:00:52 »

I think the only difference is that away the spaces are bigger when the balls bounces off Norris or their defenders, giving us more opportunities to get on the front foot with the 2nd ball.  At home teams probably sit in a bit more, meaning they can hoover up more of those long balls.  It is really fine margins.  I still haven't seen anyone play us who looked better than us bar Exeter.  We had two losses where huge tactical errors/player errors cost us, outside of that it has all been games like today.  Luton being the exception thanks to them being down to 10 men.
I can't really disagree but we have to try something different as the evidence is starting to mount that our approach is perfect away from home but at home where the opposition are more conservative it just doesn't work. Their keeper didn't make a single save all game which speaks volumes.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 21:04:59 »

Hence my big lump upfront suggestion - we won't be changing style, that much is certain, so lets change the players. I'd also suggest moving Goddard more central and having Anderson and Woollery playing off a big man upfront either side of him.  Forget about the wings, nobody bar Taylor crosses the thing anyway.  Maybe try the lad at right back as the middle should be solid enough - nobody is going to try and pass their way around us.  It's a tweak really, but it could be more effective at getting some control at times from the knock downs and maybe the odd flick on may occur - literally can't remember us having any.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 21:58:42 »

Hence my big lump upfront suggestion - we won't be changing style, that much is certain, so lets change the players. I'd also suggest moving Goddard more central and having Anderson and Woollery playing off a big man upfront either side of him.  Forget about the wings, nobody bar Taylor crosses the thing anyway.  Maybe try the lad at right back as the middle should be solid enough - nobody is going to try and pass their way around us.  It's a tweak really, but it could be more effective at getting some control at times from the knock downs and maybe the odd flick on may occur - literally can't remember us having any.
Maybe, we certainly are playing too many players out of position for my liking. Flitcroft worried me a bit tonight though as in his post match interview he suggested we created lots of chances and well we just didn't. He has a big problem brewing as 80% of supporters only see home matches and our home form and performance level is relegation standard so he will come under pressure before long rightly or wrongly.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:21:45 »

Yeah, TEFs back, can have my post match therapy and go to bed.

First 10 minutes Lincoln battered us, thereafter we slowly got back into the game. We finished the half on top but were probably second best overall after clearing off the line.

Second half we really did restrict them much more, and we edged the half. BUT...while we lumped a load of balls into the box, some with menace, we never looked lie getting onto the end of them. One Taylor ball along the ground was A-grade quality, yet nobody got within three yards.

That said I was quite impressed with Lincoln, in the context of Division 4 anyway. Organised, big, strong and did whatever they could to gain advantage. We were a bit unlucky to lose in the end, but they were as worthy winners as we would have been had we nicked it (and we could have).

I know Rob was disappointing in aspects  of Norris play, but I was equally disappointed in Anderson. He looked nearly a good player. He nearly had a good touch, nearly got into good positions, and nearly looked dangerous. But failed. Was expecting a bit more, hopefully just one of those days - only seen him play three times so far.

Also thought Goddard showed why he may not quite go to a higher level. Tried to do all the right things, has good skill, but just missing that bit of pace, strength or sharpness* that meant he had no end product. (*he's been out a while mind).

Thought the defense did quite well with determination and some brave blocking... except  on that sodding corner where the scorer ran unchallenged and scored. FFS.

Our prolonged combination of patchy home form and lack of more cultured football is starting to hit attendances now Sad
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:23:51 by Batch » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:22:29 »

Flitcroft worried me a bit tonight though as in his post match interview he suggested we created lots of chances and well we just didn't. He has a big problem brewing as 80% of supporters only see home matches and our home form and performance level is relegation standard so he will come under pressure before long rightly or wrongly.

We really didn't create, I agree.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:26:18 »

We really didn't create, I agree.
He made it sound like we had lots of clear cut chances, thought for a moment I had fell asleep.

Agree on Goddard, really frustrated me tonight. He had the freedom of the left wing 2nd half but just repeatedly did the same move and run inside and lost the ball every time. Very predictable.
REDBUCK

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:29:15 »

Lincoln were terrible and losing to them is pretty embarrassing. We don't seem to want to attack or maybe it's players out of position. Either way our set up at home needs to change, I can take attacking and losing but this really is awful to watch at home.

Why is it embarrassing. This is the level we are at, mid table Div 4 all in wrestling.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:35:50 »

Why is it embarrassing. This is the level we are at, mid table Div 4 all in wrestling.
Because the ball spent 90% of the game in the air, the standard was so poor. Rob’s description of pinball with a bouncy ball is pretty much spot on.
For the opposition keeper not to have a single save to make is a bit embarrassing.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:41:25 by theakston2k » Logged
REDBUCK

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:40:58 »

He made it sound like we had lots of clear cut chances, thought for a moment I had fell asleep.

Agree on Goddard, really frustrated me tonight. He had the freedom of the left wing 2nd half but just repeatedly did the same move and run inside and lost the ball every time. Very predictable.

Apart from those times he went outside and won a few corners or linked with Taylor to get crosses in
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:49:20 »

Apart from those times he went outside and won a few corners or linked with Taylor to get crosses in
At times in the second half he had 20 yards of space to himself and just ran into trouble every time, Just runs down blind alleys as doesn’t have that extra bit of pace. He’s another player that I have no idea where he should play but he’s certainly not a winger and wouldn’t say he and Taylor linked up, he just occasionally passed it back and Taylor would whip in a cross. Taylor’s crosses were our only threat and for no one to get on the end of that cross across the goal mouth in the 2nd half was criminal, a strikers dream.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:56:50 »

Next goal wins game tonight.

Unlucky not to get a point.

Linganzi did my tits in....plays lovely 30 yard balls and then fucked up three yard passes...should of gone off.

I would of put woolery on a lot earlier tonight and played into corners.

Goddard good but no end product....I would like to see him cut in and let fly...not do ten step overs and lose it.

Disappointed but not gutted.

Lincoln looked well solid but got away with few scares....just didn't fall in the box for us tonight.

Lack of consistency at this stage means we are where we are..mid table.

Clems Army!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 00:52:45 »

I know Rob was disappointing in aspects  of Norris play, but I was equally disappointed in Anderson. He looked nearly a good player. He nearly had a good touch, nearly got into good positions, and nearly looked dangerous. But failed. Was expecting a bit more, hopefully just one of those days - only seen him play three times so far

I think Norris has done ok, just don't think he works at home playing as we are.  Away the space we get means he doesn't need to be such a focal point.  Anderson is feeding off scraps as a result and he tries too much.  Just think at home you could have a target man so Anderson and another can buzz around them or go beyond for flick ons or balls that go through because that target man is making a mess of the defence.  A Wayne Allison if you will.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: