Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Lincoln Match day thread  (Read 30366 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 21:05:12 »

Didn't think yesterday was too bad. We had the ball and were on the front foot for the majority. Taylor was mom his deliveries caused havoc and it was unbelievable how none resulted in a goal.

Just couldn't get the ball under to get a proper shot away.

Charles-cook had nothing to do, his kicking is an improvement on vigs. Quite small for a keeper

Preston again looked Good, turn of pace and won everything. Best iv seen purkiss play, I usually count how many hoofs he makes but tried to look for feet unlike Lancashire.

The problems were linganzi, he does the same job, need someone to drive the ball forward and create from cm. Anderson had a shocking game, missed chances from losing the ball, nothing came off unless you count his shin. Norris was ok felt sorry him based on Anderson. Goddard in my eyes should be the number 10 role.

Result was harsh but didn't get those shots to proper deserve the win. Would be nice for flitcroft to analyse these mistakes and try a formation change or change of personel to actually rectify them instead of the same performance.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 23:03:42 »

I guess at the end of the day, Lincoln's line up was better than ours.... Preston, Lancashire being unable to compete with Vickers, Long, Dickie........ Knott, Green

Utter nonsense.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:14:53 »

I don't really buy into the implied "Swindon fans are crap" tone of this thread.

- Crowds decline when results are poor and club gets relegated
- We want winning football when they're losing which requires a complete change of the current style
- We want more entertaining football when they're winning (whilst still winning of course)
- The players (i.e. temporary employees) disgracefully don't appear to care for the club as much as we do
- If we lose the players get booed regardless of how much effort and passion they showed
- Referees are shit and have cost us countless games (whilst gifting us none)
- We consider that we are a bigger club than we are and deserve more success than we get
- A lot of our fellow supporters are morons
- We are so disgusted that we're never going again despite having not missed a single game for the last 120 years

All of that could be describing the fans of any football club in Britain and it's hardly surprising.  Supporting a football club and voluntarily investing emotional energy in something you can never have any significant control over is patently irrational so why should anyone expect rational behaviour from fans? 

It's admittedly based on ad-hoc observation rather than any empirical evidence but I would say that Swindon's fanbase, on average, is better than most.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:19:51 »

Do we have a similar problem to England where players are played generally out of position in order to try and get them onto the pitch?

For example I have read that Goddard, Mullin and Woolery are generally deployed on the wing, rather than their preferred positions. Goddard is a number 10 and Mullin and Woolery are strikers and not wingers.

England are trying to shoehorn Rashford and Sterling onto the pitch in positions where they are not playing for their club sides and they look generally out of sorts.

Is it just a case of round pegs, round holes?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:53:20 »

Do we have a similar problem to England where players are played generally out of position in order to try and get them onto the pitch?

For example I have read that Goddard, Mullin and Woolery are generally deployed on the wing, rather than their preferred positions. Goddard is a number 10 and Mullin and Woolery are strikers and not wingers.

England are trying to shoehorn Rashford and Sterling onto the pitch in positions where they are not playing for their club sides and they look generally out of sorts.

Spot on BO, guy behind moaning at Goddard saying that all he can do is cut inside!  I asked him what he thought he should do as a right sided player out on the left wing!!  Mullin is not a winger either, he needs to play down the middle.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:54:02 »

Paul Scholes.....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 10:23:27 »

Utter nonsense.

Just a shame Luke Waterfall never got on.....
Townend80

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 14:12:03 »

Elsnik should be back Sat which will make a big difference.

Wycombe being undefeated away makes me think a nailed on home win. It's very Swindon thing to do, before getting thumped by struggling vale the following sat. 
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 20:03:15 »

I don't really buy into the implied "Swindon fans are crap" tone of this thread.

- Crowds decline when results are poor and club gets relegated
- We want winning football when they're losing which requires a complete change of the current style
- We want more entertaining football when they're winning (whilst still winning of course)
- The players (i.e. temporary employees) disgracefully don't appear to care for the club as much as we do
- If we lose the players get booed regardless of how much effort and passion they showed
- Referees are shit and have cost us countless games (whilst gifting us none)
- We consider that we are a bigger club than we are and deserve more success than we get
- A lot of our fellow supporters are morons
- We are so disgusted that we're never going again despite having not missed a single game for the last 120 years

All of that could be describing the fans of any football club in Britain and it's hardly surprising.  Supporting a football club and voluntarily investing emotional energy in something you can never have any significant control over is patently irrational so why should anyone expect rational behaviour from fans? 

It's admittedly based on ad-hoc observation rather than any empirical evidence but I would say that Swindon's fanbase, on average, is better than most.

I would say broadly speaking, that it is more or less the same as most other Clubs' fan bases but definitely better than some on here would have you believe. Our away support in particular (again purely observational but based on 30+ years of attending away games) has only ever ranged between good and excellent and is certainly much better than the majority of Clubs in the lower two divisions.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #84 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 23:38:44 »

Crap football in a crap league with crap results is only going to result in a miserable outcome and bad feeling amongst fans. The problem is fans have watched boring/turgid/inane/impotent performances for 3 season ticket cycles.

The second half on Tuesday, whilst frustrating and lacking quality in the final half/third of the pitch at least showed we were trying to play around a bit and we created more opportunities. More of that and we'll win more at home and we should see more attacking accuracy, luck and results.

However, it's hard to keep the faith and hope we can start building up consistency. It's still early season so fingers crossed I will turn glad all over and resign this post to the archives and chomp down my words, but prospects don't look great.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #85 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:31:37 »

Despite the fact the football has been dross I will still take this season over the last 2 - at least its honest. The last 2 really did my head in and if we hadn't changed I think there was a realistic chance we'd go out of the league.
This is no longer a worry. We've now got a bunch of journeymen who will do ok in this division. So far, we're shy of a challenging team. it may happen but I don't think it will. We don't have a leader out there or a midfield.
The bigger problem is that I'm probably in the minority. I'll still turn up but others have already drifted off. We're pretty much where I thought we'd be albeit in a different way. I expected us to be strong at home and crap away. For me, this season being mid table is enough for me. I know the division is crap but so are we but last seasons team would have gone straight through so I think there has been progress. Others will see it differently.
Expectations are high and not being realised. Its the home gate that pays the bills. People have every right to stay at home if they don't like whats on offer. Its an entertainment industry and we're not currently entertaining.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:46:00 »

Expectations are high and not being realised. Its the home gate that pays the bills. People have every right to stay at home if they don't like whats on offer. Its an entertainment industry and we're not currently entertaining.

Another factor is the state of the economy, it will be interesting to see if gates are generally down across the lower Divs. When people have to tighten their belts, something like football seems an expensive luxury
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:29:27 »

The plain truth is that against Exeter we had 7000 home fans. That has quickly eroded to 5500 fans. It’s not the cost per se, it’s the crap on offer sadly. Surely there must be some middle ground between Luke’s Lullaggers and Flitcroft’s Hoofers
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:42:02 »

The plain truth is that against Exeter we had 7000 home fans. That has quickly eroded to 5500 fans. It’s not the cost per se, it’s the crap on offer sadly. Surely there must be some middle ground between Luke’s Lullaggers and Flitcroft’s Hoofers

That's not really the 'plain truth' though is it as you are comparing apples and pears....

Exeter is not a million miles away with good train links and on a Saturday, Lincoln to Swindon is a ball ache to do probably not possible by train on a weekday evening, which I suspect also puts off a lot of home supporters... I know when I used to do home games reasonably regularly I used to train it as frankly I need a drink to watch Swindon and thus never did midweek games.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 08:47:10 »

Looking at this, Purkiss is the only player who has started every game this season, in fact he is the only player who has featured in ever game this season, suggests that Flitcroft still not altogether sure what his best team is...

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Squad.asp?Season=2017-2018
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: