Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mansfield v Swindon Match day thread  (Read 19273 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 09:58:20 »

This from a Mansfield on how we dodged the Evans bullet

‘How lucky are Swindon by the way?

Evans was made their number 1 target for the job, and was accordingly made favourite with the bookies.

They were told no by JR, and had to go with option 2...David Flitcroft.

A manager who won't have spent anywhere near what Evans has, and is proven to play easy on the eye, successful football.’

I tend to take random opposition fans' comments with a pinch of salt... much like many of our own fans'

Mansfield are on a bit of a high atm it wasn't that long ago, that they were in the Conference and locked out of Field Mill.

They spent 5 years down there only returning in 2013.  I'm pretty sure they'll have seen some ugly football, and I don't suppose they complained too much when Stags dispatched Notts County 3-1 a couple of weeks back.

I don't think even the most ardent Flitters fan would describe our football as "easy on the eye" relative to some our recent fayre.

In the same way we always lose at Cheltnum, Fatty seems to have a problem with STFC.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #91 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 10:23:25 »

Weirdly in the final 3rd some of our football is very very good. It's getting that balance right though, looks like we may have got a stroke of luck with the signing of Preston as he has a bit about him.

What is frustrating is i think Conroy and Preston could be a bloody good pairing
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 10:40:00 »

Weirdly in the final 3rd some of our football is very very good. It's getting that balance right though, looks like we may have got a stroke of luck with the signing of Preston as he has a bit about him.

What is frustrating is i think Conroy and Preston could be a bloody good pairing

In the situation Flitcroft came into then first principles had to apply... namely keep it simple, make yourself hard to beat, and try and compete physically.  Absolutely the right thing to do but it means it won't be pretty.

Some might think, that as it develops we might get a bit more expansive have a bit more flair, and yes there might be a place for a Jonny Goddard, but I reckon the emphasis should be on improving the basics.

Try and be competitive without getting cards, try and be physical without conceding daft penalties and free kicks. It's striking that nearly all our games seem to have a pen either way.

Tomorrow we've Lincoln, having seen them on the box last year, they looked exactly the sort of side who'd have rolled over Lukey's shower... if we are to do owt this year then Flitters needs to sort a way of beating outfits like this at the CG.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 10:47:36 »

If Conroy hadn't have got injured we wouldn't have got Preston, so that pairing would have never of happened anyway.  Perhaps next season if Conroy comes back the same, and we can convince Preston to extend.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Flashheart

« Reply #94 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 10:51:11 »

I reckon there'll be a clause that we can extend Preston's contract if we go up.

That's purely guesswork though, of course.
Panda Paws

« Reply #95 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 10:53:47 »

On limited evidence, a Conroy/Preston CB pairing has the makings of something acceptable at League 1 level (unlike Robertson, Lancashire).
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 12:00:26 »

Did we sign Preston until end of the season or until January ?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 12:48:29 »

End of season
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: