Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cheltenham v Swindon  (Read 22523 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, October 7, 2017, 20:04:46 »

Oh yes and their no 7 was a total cunt. Should have had 3 yellows in the game and then instead of celebrating the win with their fans decided to give it the big un in front of us. Fuckwit but when we got dicked there 5-0 at 4-0 their no 10 gave us the wanker sign.
Pretty much as good as it gets for them and probably their biggest match of the season so no great surprise they were lording it up. Doubled their average attendance today with plenty of Town fans in the home end.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, October 7, 2017, 20:36:40 »

Lucky the Town fans were mostly pissed and / or resigned to losing. A special mention to the guy in his 60s who at the end of the game tried to get over the fence and was shouting to the Nam fans "come on then I'll fucking take you all on". I spoke to him in the Sudeley Arms before the game and he appeared relatively sober.

Reg forgot his medication again?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, October 7, 2017, 20:54:48 »

Observations from today. Charles-Cook did well. Commanded his area well & made a decent save from the pen despite looking off his line by the time it was struck. The full backs weren't too bad although Purkiss' mobility again looked questionable & he doesn't offer enough going forward. Would like to see if Knoyle can offer us an improvement in that department. Preston did well & coped with their CF relatively comfortably. Lancashire seems to be all arms & always looks like giving away free kicks/pens. Dunne was & is poor. Tom Smith must be wondering what he's got to do to get a look in, looks a far more competent player in all areas from what I've seen of him so far & that was in a league above. He's exactly what a League 2 team requires. Linganzi, for his size, doesn't seem to dominate midfield as he should, he & Dunne shouldn't be starting games together imo. The amount of time & space afforded to their midfielder in the build up to their 1st was frightening. Of the front four only Norris comes away with any real credit. Held the ball up well & worked hard although never looked like scoring. I just never get the feeling he's gonna score when he goes through one on one. Anderson flatters to deceive for a PL loanee, hard to believe we were pinning so many hopes on him a couple of seasons back when trying to get him in on loan. Gordon offered nothing & deserved to be hooked at h/t. Biggest concern for me is Woolery who looks an absolute shadow of the player I saw on his debut. Seems to be massively lacking im confidence. I'd like to see him played through the middle again. He came on there on his debut & completely changed the game. Exeter were shit scared of him & I'd like to see him given another run there as the wide thing just doesn't seem to be working out. & Harry Smith, like Tom, must be wondering what he's got to do to get a run in this side. Was excellent last week & took his goal really well. Today was crying out for him at 1-1 with 20 to go but DF brought Mullin on who should have started in place of Anderson or Gordon.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #93 on: Saturday, October 7, 2017, 21:14:01 »

Tom Smith isn't even making the bench. I'd like to see him given a run. The foul by dunne for the penalty was real fucking dumb. Mullins looked good in his small cameo. Goddard also did well. We really need to try something different in midfield. The wide players offer fuck all protection.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, October 7, 2017, 21:53:39 »

I fear anyone expecting any substantial changes will be sadly disappointed.  This is us, we have 34 more games of it.  We;ll have to hope we get more wins than losses, which seems probable overall.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 08:33:37 »

I'm not sure that a 4-2-3-1 formation is best suited for a more direct style.
Seems nobody is ever near enough to pick up the headers, that are won, when it is launched up to Norris.

With 50% of games won so far, there is enough there for a play off challenge.
Then again, most of the other teams in the division will be thinking the same thing.

Just a little more quality in the midfield play to keep the ball for a bit longer in the opponents half would make a difference.
Alternatively, bring in a proper left winger in January and with Gordon on the right, just go full hoof mode and play Smith & Norris together. (Being devil's advocate here).

Good debut from RC-C.
No concerns for as and when LV moves on.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 09:12:07 »

Tom Smith offers more bite, composure and passing ability than either of the starting centre mids, what does he have to do to get a look in?!

Sent from my SM-G930F

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 09:51:17 »

The league is shit, but what really did our fans think it would be like?

Cheltenham were shit, were were not much better, we can't win there and were only beaten by a single goal so its not like last time we went up there and lost heavy to those dirty Northern bastards.

We need link up play between our hoofer defenders and out strikers, Dunne and Linganzi are not it, they are both average Division 4 players at best.

We need another centre back instead of Lancashire, Preston looks like he has a lot of potential, we also need a fit Hussey to create things for us.

Under Macari we played quite similar but we were fit, every player back then (Coyne excepted) could run for 100 minutes per game and chase everything, out players are not fit yet, they haven't gelled yet and we are not playing very good football, I don't expect the playing good football under Flitcroft but the other 2 I hope will happen.

Fitness is key in this league, there are no stand out teams and we could still easily win this league if we gel and get fit and stop the pathetic mistakes at the back which have already probably cost us 8 or more goals so far.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 09:52:59 »

Macari's teams were the fittest I've ever seen. They did lump it forward and try to win the second ball. The main thing Macari did though was spot talent. Player for player I wouldn't swap any of the current team for Macaris. We were also very disciplined. Solid banks and lines. 

I'd agree that they were fitter & overall probably better players (although we know how that was funded Wink ).

I guess the point is that it wasn't the greatest football to watch, but we were so desperate to get out of Div 4, and from about this point in the season always looked like winning that we didn't really care about how.

I guess the problem is that as fans we now expect Macari like fitness & effort mixed with greater ability (a bit like Matt Ritchie), but we can't afford that.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 10:20:06 »

Ritchie was a League Two player with us, so not impossible.  Rohan Ince is the sort of tough tackling midfielder with a bit of quality that would be ideal (if unattainable).  Tom Smith should be attainable however.  Does the manager think he is too small - or what?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 10:35:56 »

I guess the problem is that as fans we now expect Macari like fitness & effort mixed with greater ability (a bit like Matt Ritchie), but we can't afford that.

A lot of our fans are finding it difficult to adjust to our new status, what they fail to get is that any success we've had at this level previously, was on the back of spending money we didn't have.  Power won't do this.  People need to understand that when you slide in this day and age, it can keep going into the Conference and worse. You can see plenty of clubs who were regular opponents of ours like Wrexham, Tranny, Orient and HPool down there. It happened to Oxford and Rovers. For the likes of Stockport and probably now Torquay, it's even worse.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that Flitters has begun to arrest the slide....by creating a bang average Div 4 side, that's good management, because it's where we are.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 10:37:50 »

... I'm still cautiously optimistic ...

Just felt the need to keep this for posterity.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 10:59:16 »

I would imagine Power had a bit more than 'bang average' in mind when he spent (reportedly) 350k on Woolery...
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 11:05:50 »

At what point of the season would flitcroft be under pressure from power? As long as we are within a few points of playoffs I think he will last the season. Surely power watching this team would feel like the fans however. I'd like flitcroft to be asked directly about playing style.

At the Cambridge game the standard of passing and hoof startled me. I could find players with more composure in the local leagues than players like purkiss
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Sunday, October 8, 2017, 11:09:00 »

I would imagine Power had a bit more than 'bang average' in mind when he spent (reportedly) 350k on Woolery...

I don't pay much credence to our undisclosed fees stuff, Woolery is a fella who's got to 22 and has a handful of FL starts, so he's not exactly proven quality.

Bang average is good.

Look at BPV and Spireites, both doughty opponents of ours over many years, and last season we lost 3 of the 4 games against them, drawing the other, however thus far have failed to halt their slide.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: