Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: `Newcastle in court for Tax Fraud  (Read 10805 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, October 5, 2017, 15:33:42 »

Newcastle had indeed lost to Sunderland that year in the PO semis.  The second leg was at St James' Park.  In injury time, when it was clear there would be no overturning the first leg deficit, there was a pitch invasion.  I think this abandoned the match.  That was certainly the intent.  I remember meeting an otherwise normal Geordie who received my suggestion that this wasn't a sensible way to proceed with genuine and complete incomprehension.

More recently I met another Geordie who told me that he had tried living down south, Stevenage as it happens, but could never settle there because of the heat.  I suppose you don't see too many Geordies in films about the days of the Raj and so on, but still. Stevenage!

Perhaps they have a finely-tuned sense of irony that I keep missing.  My take however is that they are seriously f*cking mental.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, October 5, 2017, 15:41:03 »

They punch fucking horses!

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, October 5, 2017, 15:54:30 »

and that! Smiley
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 07:23:48 »

Newcastle had indeed lost to Sunderland that year in the PO semis.  The second leg was at St James' Park.  In injury time, when it was clear there would be no overturning the first leg deficit, there was a pitch invasion.  I think this abandoned the match.  That was certainly the intent.  I remember meeting an otherwise normal Geordie who received my suggestion that this wasn't a sensible way to proceed with genuine and complete incomprehension.

More recently I met another Geordie who told me that he had tried living down south, Stevenage as it happens, but could never settle there because of the heat.  I suppose you don't see too many Geordies in films about the days of the Raj and so on, but still. Stevenage!

Perhaps they have a finely-tuned sense of irony that I keep missing.  My take however is that they are seriously f*cking mental.

In the season after demotion we 'inherited' Sunderland's fixtures including Newcastle away on Boxing Day. Later to become known as the Ant and Dec match when the two young actors on Byker Grove agreed to go to the Swindon game together.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 08:04:42 »

In the season after demotion we 'inherited' Sunderland's fixtures including Newcastle away on Boxing Day. Later to become known as the Ant and Dec match when the two young actors on Byker Grove agreed to go to the Swindon game together.

I know everyone was wondering:
26 DEC 1990    LGE    Newcastle United (Away)    1 - 1    Gittens    17,003    

Wonder if Ant and Dec would have happened had we won?!
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 08:42:33 »

Or if Newcastle were rightfully playing Sunderland, could they have got tickets for presumably a sell out. I went to that Boxing Day game and St James's was a bit of a dive then

Sent from my HTC One M9
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 09:54:42 »

Or if Newcastle were rightfully playing Sunderland, could they have got tickets for presumably a sell out. I went to that Boxing Day game and St James's was a bit of a dive then

Sent from my HTC One M9

Indeed it was, the year I moved up was the first year they were in the Premiership and they had got the ground up together a fair bit by then. in 1993-94 I lived immediately next to the ground (so close that you had to look up out of the bedroom window to see the sky as the stand was so close) and I know that the year before when we and they go promoted the lad who had had my room before had been charging fans £10 to watch the game from the bedroom window as you could see the whole pitch before they closed the corner of the stands in the close season - I was well pissed off!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 11:08:44 »

I know everyone was wondering:
26 DEC 1990    LGE    Newcastle United (Away)    1 - 1    Gittens    17,003    

Wonder if Ant and Dec would have happened had we won?!

Seems a poor crowd for such a well supported club.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 11:15:25 »

I always delight in telling nouveau Chelsea fans, that when we played them in the Prem, the crowd was bigger at the CG than Stamford Bridge  Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #24 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 11:21:42 »

Newcastle regulary had crowds under 15k back in the 80s and 90s. Their season average in 1991 was only 16k.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 11:21:47 »

I always delight in telling nouveau Chelsea fans, that when we played them in the Prem, the crowd was bigger at the CG than Stamford Bridge  Smiley

That was the only Premier league game I went to that season. Bit of vitriol for GH that day. Crowd must have been about 14k?

I was in the Arkells and I think we lost 3-1. Pretty sure there were 2 late goals and Dennis Wise scored? (I haven't googled this game yet). I'm pretty sure that's correct as my granddad left early to beat the crowd and get the trusty B reg fiesta to pick up my dad and I.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 11:49:36 »

That was the only Premier league game I went to that season. Bit of vitriol for GH that day. Crowd must have been about 14k?

I was in the Arkells and I think we lost 3-1. Pretty sure there were 2 late goals and Dennis Wise scored? (I haven't googled this game yet). I'm pretty sure that's correct as my granddad left early to beat the crowd and get the trusty B reg fiesta to pick up my dad and I.

"fuck off Judas"...

Mark Stein got one I remember, had to look up the other scorer (Shipperly). Actually just watched the video, beautiful ball from Moncur for ours Smiley

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19940124

Only manage that game and Man U that season Sad

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #27 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 12:14:24 »

That was the only game home and away I missed that season, I had flu.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 12:50:10 »

"fuck off Judas"...

Mark Stein got one I remember, had to look up the other scorer (Shipperly). Actually just watched the video, beautiful ball from Moncur for ours Smiley

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19940124

I lived and went to school in Scotland, what was your excuse? Wink

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, October 6, 2017, 13:33:30 »

That was the only game home and away I missed that season, I had flu.

Newcastle away was the only one I missed.
Don't think tickets were available for away fans due to reduced capacity?
Over and above the call of duty for any town fans who made it to that one.
The highlights show a very small pocket of celebration in the Gallowgate as our goal went in.Think it was Fenwick who scored.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: