Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cheltenham Tickets  (Read 12450 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 10:30:12 »

I vaguely remember going to either Cheltenham or Gloucester City for a friendly back in the 60's. Having rooted around in memory bank and consulted Richard B's site, I found we won a friendly at Whaddon Road in 68... Smiley  Sadly I've concluded it wasn't that but the Gloucester City game in 67  Sad   meaning I've never seen us win at Whaddon Road.
My dad and uncle were left back and right back for Gloucester City in the early 50s ages 17 and 18, still one of the youngest fullback pairings for the club.

The game in 87 was a pretty dull affair IIRC over a thousand fans there and half were Swindon fans, no kind of segregation at all we could walk all round the ground, which was not much better than Chippenhams at that time, about 4 steps with a shed covering the centre parts and one main stand that held about 500 seats.

Lets hope we break that voodoo they seem to have on us, if we can break that curse then I think we may do well this season despite how we are playing in the main.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 11:37:08 »

My dad and uncle were left back and right back for Gloucester City in the early 50s ages 17 and 18, still one of the youngest fullback pairings for the club.

The game in 87 was a pretty dull affair IIRC over a thousand fans there and half were Swindon fans, no kind of segregation at all we could walk all round the ground, which was not much better than Chippenhams at that time, about 4 steps with a shed covering the centre parts and one main stand that held about 500 seats.

Lets hope we break that voodoo they seem to have on us, if we can break that curse then I think we may do well this season despite how we are playing in the main.

A win would be most welcome, but I don't think it necessarily a signifier of how we'll do... not like when Macari's 86/87 won at Priestfield, our only win there since 1930 in 37 attempts before and after. Then you just knew that side would go up.

Similarly whatever strange forces are at work, Cheltenham beating us isn't necessarily a signifier for them of good times ahead... last time they beat us they got relegated to the Conference and we ended up in the Div 3 PO final.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 12:08:38 »

frustrating that we can't have more tickets for this, after 3 not that there's a lot of chance of that

ditto.

heyho,  will go round 'a friends' in <insert random country> and watch it
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 12:09:16 »

A win would be most welcome, but I don't think it necessarily a signifier of how we'll do... not like when Macari's 86/87 won at Priestfield, our only win there since 1930 in 37 attempts before and after. Then you just knew that side would go up.

Similarly whatever strange forces are at work, Cheltenham beating us isn't necessarily a signifier for them of good times ahead... last time they beat us they got relegated to the Conference and we ended up in the Div 3 PO final.

Breaking a hoodoo at a club for me would certainly raise my enthusiasm levels as for me its a guide that we can indeed overcome any mental blockage at a venue, I understand what you are saying but for me it would be a millstone off our necks.

I was at the Preston game in 85-86 (I am presuming thats the game you mean) we went there and won 3-0 the day after my 20th birthday, it was a 1pm early KO because the ground had no floodlights due to refurbishment.

That season I felt we would beat any side we were up against no matter what division or home or away, certainly don't have that feeling at the moment! but the season is early.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 13:18:13 »

frustrating that we can't have more tickets for this, after 3 not that there's a lot of chance of that
Just go in the home end, it's not all ticket for home fans.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 13:32:57 »

Just go in the home end, it's not all ticket for home fans.

Yep, loads of tickets left on the website (just checked) and doesn't seem to be any restrictions on buying

There are numerous people on the FB group asking for tickets as well, they will be like gold dust and very few will get them imo.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 14:29:23 »

Breaking a hoodoo at a club for me would certainly raise my enthusiasm levels as for me its a guide that we can indeed overcome any mental blockage at a venue, I understand what you are saying but for me it would be a millstone off our necks.

I was at the Preston game in 85-86 (I am presuming thats the game you mean) we went there and won 3-0 the day after my 20th birthday, it was a 1pm early KO because the ground had no floodlights due to refurbishment.

That season I felt we would beat any side we were up against no matter what division or home or away, certainly don't have that feeling at the moment! but the season is early.

Whilst our record at Deepdale is poor, we haven't played them too much. 1 win in 15 visits. Whereas our 1 win in 37 at Gills, does seem a bit excessive.  I've always put it down to it being  a horrible pikey place on the wrong side of the country. No such excuse with Whaddon Road... a pleasant welcoming place, genteel, with its own bowling green. Up until a  couple of visits back even had an Arkell's pub just down the street.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 14:33:58 »

Odd that they did not offer us anymore tickets

I come from a land down-under
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 20:16:35 »

Whilst our record at Deepdale is poor, we haven't played them too much. 1 win in 15 visits. Whereas our 1 win in 37 at Gills, does seem a bit excessive.  I've always put it down to it being  a horrible pikey place on the wrong side of the country. No such excuse with Whaddon Road... a pleasant welcoming place, genteel, with its own bowling green. Up until a  couple of visits back even had an Arkell's pub just down the street.
All of which may make for a more or less pleasant day out for fans, but has very little relevance to the players, and hence results. Unless you're suggesting they stop off for a pint and a nice game of bowls on the way to the game? On reflection, maybe they should ...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 20:53:14 »

All of which may make for a more or less pleasant day out for fans, but has very little relevance to the players, and hence results. Unless you're suggesting they stop off for a pint and a nice game of bowls on the way to the game? On reflection, maybe they should ...

Some of our ex players get up to strange things in Cheltnumb....  James Collins pissing in his pint pot and then tipping it over punters, Lloyd Jones lamping some lad on a night out.

Maybe the bowls is the way forward.... Don Revie used to keep his Leeds players happy, with a diet of indoor carpet bowls, dominoes and bingo on away trips
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 21:51:09 »

You reminded me of this Reg  Grin

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2017, 08:59:55 »

Smiley

The very essence of 70's norvern working class culture.  When the Tories say Corbyn will return us to the 70's they mean the banning of Playstation and compulsory bar billiards, darts and shove halfpenny. Away with skinny jeans and a return to baggies and norvern soul.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2017, 09:14:52 »

Don Revie used to keep his Leeds players happy, with a diet of indoor carpet bowls, dominoes and bingo on away trips
No wonder they came out on the pitch like snarling beasts.  Dirty Leeds, eh?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2017, 09:35:25 »

Smiley

The very essence of 70's norvern working class culture.  When the Tories say Corbyn will return us to the 70's they mean the banning of Playstation and compulsory bar billiards, darts and shove halfpenny. Away with skinny jeans and a return to baggies and norvern soul.

You say northern, but the only time I have ever seen a bar billiards table in a pub is in Witney, we used to play a hell of a lot although in the years before the internet never actually knew the rules.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2017, 10:10:12 »

You say northern, but the only time I have ever seen a bar billiards table in a pub is in Witney, we used to play a hell of a lot although in the years before the internet never actually knew the rules.

Do you norverners play cribbage?  There's still a league in Swindon, well its the Stratton League, but takes Swindon sides.

The traditional mid week menu of crib, darts, skittles perhaps now augmented by a quiz night, still just about hangs on in a few treasured CIU places in Swindon and District.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: