Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town VS Coventry City Official Matchday Thread  (Read 19125 times)
REDBUCK

« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 00:11:00 »

Well that was one big slugfest. Poor old Jimmy Hill, how far have Coventry City fallen to play like that. Two teams with all their quality going forward, the rest just shirt tugging, blindside nudging, sly forearm to the back of the head, get it forward to the big CF and pick up the pieces as soon as you can football.

Coventry did it all much better, their front two plus number 8 were just better than ours. They even provoked a reaction that bought a sending off and an advantage. All part of the game plan no doubt.

A long season ahead watching this style of footy but we should have move than enough for most.

oh and a professional footballer who falls over running backwards is also going to make me laugh.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 06:38:43 »

Maybe the standard has been so crap this season but I enjoyed the game last night. Stonewall pen and sending off for Robertson inside 2 minutes. He should have conceded another in the 2nd half. I actually thought Dunn had a good game until the sending off, which I felt was harsh. It was not in the same league as the cowardly potential leg breaker McDermott did. One thing our players do though is put themselves at the mercy of the ref.
Norris goal was a beauty. Their front players had plenty of pace and we are crap against pace. I'd take their no 11 all day long. He ripped us a new one last season and was excellent again tonight, man bun and all. Their first was a defensive shambles. Their second an excellent goal.
Another stonewall penalty on Smith at the death.
Amongst all the dodgy decisions, the yellow for Anderson at the end baffled me. I thought he'd pulled out of the challenge and their player went down like a sack of spuds. Did he connect or was it just a crap decision amongst many.
Worryingly, only 5500 Town fans there.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:26:29 »

Watched the game on iFollow. I'd hoped the initial few games came under the 'bedding in' category, but alas it seems this is actually how we'll play.

Fine away from home as all you want is a result but at home it is a dire spectacle. For this level the riches we have attacking wise are being wasted by the defensive hoofball. If that is how Flitcroft wants to play it's strange Harry Smith isn't a regular starter.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:42:35 »

Well aware How miserable I sound, but I'm Really struggling to see how people enjoyed that performance last night. Or even how we deserved to get anything out of it

Things get better but they never get good
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 07:48:10 »

Did we not all know that DF was going to implement hoofball? It's his style.

Last year was tippy tappy, this year ugly. Where's that happy medium?

We knew this season was not going to be a nice spectacle.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:06:34 »

I don't think people would mind the hoofball so much if we were doing it right - lump it up to a big man who holds it up and brings the midfield into play. Instead, it just seems to end up with the centre backs. Against FGR for example, a lot of our chances came from winning the ball in midfield, with our back 5 literally just there to stop the other team scoring then boot the ball away.
Panda Paws

« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:22:01 »

Sending off was harsh I think, having looked at the highlights.

Robertson is a disaster. Lancashire is just about competent at this level, but Preston will be in the side before long.

I want to see more of Woolery. Is Anderson much better? Not on what I've seen.

If we're not pushing top 3 come Xmas, Flitcroft goes. We've spent enough money, and given him all the control to deliver, and if this goes on, he's simply not.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:31:35 by Panda Paws » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:27:43 »

Did we not all know that DF was going to implement hoofball? It's his style.

Last year was tippy tappy, this year ugly. Where's that happy medium?

We knew this season was not going to be a nice spectacle.

I said before the season started that I'd happily sacrifice style for effectiveness to get out of this division. I'd have no problem with solid but unspectacular if it did the job. We're missing the solid, though.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:30:21 »

Well aware How miserable I sound, but I'm Really struggling to see how people enjoyed that performance last night. Or even how we deserved to get anything out of it

I think you're just a grumpy cunt to be honest mate. It seems to happen to the best of us.

For what it's worth, I wasn't there last night but I have enjoyed this season a lot more than last despite our general crapness at home. League Two is shit, everyone knows that, but at least the players look like they actually WANT to win. I stopped going last season purely because it was plainly obvious that no one really cared.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 08:46:56 »

Agree Robertson deserved to be sent off early on, but it wasn't a pen. Clearly outside the area.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 09:28:46 »

I think you're just a grumpy cunt to be honest mate. It seems to happen to the best of us.

For what it's worth, I wasn't there last night but I have enjoyed this season a lot more than last despite our general crapness at home. League Two is shit, everyone knows that, but at least the players look like they actually WANT to win. I stopped going last season purely because it was plainly obvious that no one really cared.

Aye that's fair. Last season knocked any blind optimism I had out of me

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 09:39:03 »

Aye that's fair. Last season knocked any blind optimism I had out of me

It all depends on your perspective. I started the season hoping we'd have enough about us to avoid the drop, not get humiliated by FGR and win at Cheltnum. Anything else a bonus.  So far, I'm quietly optimistic that there are sufficient basket cases in Div 4 that we should be OK.  Although surprised that Cov as prime example of a poorly run club are above us.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 10:51:44 »

Poor old Jimmy Hill,

Not sure you'll find many Jimmy Hill sympathisers on here?!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:41:37 »

Interestingly this is the most goals we've conceded at home in the first 5 games since the Prem  season, we're now on 12, then it was 14.

Although Malpas matched this in 08/09, and paid with his job in November. Flitters needs to avoid a defeat on Saturday.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:54:12 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:53:16 »

I wonder if we would be better with keeping possession playing 2 up front instead of Norris and an other behind him, it seems to go up front too quick from the back.

Coventry looked a decent team that had done their homework on our defense and a lot of times played the little striker between the 2 center backs hanging on the shoulder and many a time he got the run on them.

Are refs generally more inconsistent this season or are the poorer ones just being shoved down to L2 ? in my opinion all refs should be at the same level not some pro refs and some not, why should the premier always get the so called best refs then when they get it wrong get bounced down to the lower league as a punishment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: