Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town VS Coventry City Official Matchday Thread  (Read 19307 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:02:07 »

We were woeful at the back, and still I think Coventry would not have beaten us had Dunne not been an utter nobhead.

I remember L2 being better last time, but then we did have a nut-job with a fuck-ton of money at the helm.

We only conceded 32 goals last time round. Nearly half way to that already.

That year, after 10 games we were 10th with 15 points. This time we're 1th with 16 points. I think it's far too early to say whether we'll make top 3 but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully Knoyle and the new lad will add something to the defence in the coming weeks and give us a bit more of a platform to build on, rather than having a rearguard who panic, hoof and hope. I know we won't see much sexy playing out from the back but occasionally not lumping up to an opposing CB will be a start,
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:05:15 »

Oh and putting aside the penalties they didn't get, the push on Smith at the end was absolutely stonewall.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:08:21 »

First Cov league win at the CG for 57 years. I doubt any of their fans there tonight will have seen the last one

Oh well, we're not very good, I'm sure there will be plenty more lows this season, maybe even a few highs.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:09:57 »

First half completely undone by their movement and pace, lucky not to concede a penalty and s red card in the first few minutes.  Great goal by Norris, dodgy defending for the equaliser.  This defence is a liability, needs sorting as soon as possible.  Second half they had another good shout for a penalty but we gradually got on top, Dunne was playing really well until another moment of madness and I think it eventually costs us the game.  After the sending off we worked up a real head of steam and could easily have got an equaliser, ref denied us a stonewall penalty but our lack of pace, quality and guile eventually got the better of us and we slipped to another home defeat.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:12:02 »

We're shit

Things get better but they never get good
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:15:39 »

Tbf, I think both sets of fans will agree the ref was pretty clueless. There was handbags all round and many missed cards against both sides. Then there were cards for both including the red for us which just seemed like it was the refs way of saying he was in control. Really a half decent ref would've spoken to the player and said "look son, do that again and you'll give me no reason not to send you off. Clear? Right shake hands and carry on." He should've spoken to both captains and said "captains, have a word. No more nonsense."

But he didn't because he was piss poor. We were piss poor except when we put it on the ground we actually created a few decent moments. Similarly Cov did also. The game was over once Dunne was off but I honestly think that Cov's No.8 should've gone too.

Yes they had penalty shouts, we had penalty shouts and both teams could've equally grabbed a goal towards the end. Completely dire as we all agree. Bottom line; Dunne's sending off sealed our fate. It's up for debate if it should've been a red or not.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:18:47 »

Knoyle for Purkiss, Hussey for Taylor (if fit), Preston for Robertson, Tom Smith for Dunne, McDermott for Gordon & Woolery for Anderson on Saturday. Robertson is a complete & utter liability. Dunne, as others have already commented, is a walking red card. Fwiw I reckon we'd have lost that regardless of his red or not. Harry Smith was excellent when he came on & will be a nuisance at this level if utilized properly.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:25:09 »

The ups and downs when we win and lose - such an exaggeration. We're a top 10 team, should be in and around playoffs - might scrape an automatic. Coventry will be up there. No disgrace to lose to them.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:27:56 »

The red card seemed to galvanise us and we could have easily come away with a point.

Home form needs to improve drastically or we're going nowhere. 4 points out of 15 in League 2 is pathetic.  The defence and midfield are a real concern.

We definitely had better players in those positions under De Canio and as others have said,  I don't remember the level of football being so consistently shit either.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 21:52:42 »

The red card seemed to galvanise us and we could have easily come away with a point.

Home form needs to improve drastically or we're going nowhere. 4 points out of 15 in League 2 is pathetic.  The defence and midfield are a real concern.

We definitely had better players in those positions under De Canio and as others have said,  I don't remember the level of football being so consistently shit either.

It was better under Sturrock, too. The football is appalling. Even the teams at the top are shite, with the possible exception of Exeter. Not sure what to make of the whole thing. I guess hope to be top three and get out of this division as soon as possible. But the standard is fucking dire.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Stevens

« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 22:38:57 »

Not at the game today, abroad for the next three weeks.
See by the comments I have read we are playing crap football, how could it be any other, the manager brought old pros and plodders.
The front line could be lethal in this division if they had an ounce of creativity behind them.
So, so glad I did not renew my season ticket and have no intention of going again in the near future.
digby

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 22:43:16 »

First half completely undone by their movement and pace, lucky not to concede a penalty and s red card in the first few minutes.  Great goal by Norris, dodgy defending for the equaliser.  This defence is a liability, needs sorting as soon as possible.  Second half they had another good shout for a penalty but we gradually got on top, Dunne was playing really well until another moment of madness and I think it eventually costs us the game.  After the sending off we worked up a real head of steam and could easily have got an equaliser, ref denied us a stonewall penalty but our lack of pace, quality and guile eventually got the better of us and we slipped to another home defeat.

Pretty much agree with all of that !
I actually enjoyed that game tonight, ok we lost, but a pretty exciting end to end game. Both sides attacking play opened up 2 poor defences and resulted in lots of chances being created. The ref was totally crap (again !) and missed several blatant penalties and fouls but penalised plenty for next to nothing. The sending off and then the timing of that screamer of a winner were harsh, and I thought we showed lots of character to bombard them with 10 men for the last 10 mins - we deserved a point out of that !
I don't think 'we were shit !' like some posters on here - if we can inject some pace into the back four (Knoyle and Preston ?) then we'll win a lot more than we lose - should be enough for at least the playoffs !  Come on you Reds !
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 23:12:12 »

Haven't read back yet.

Well I came away disappointed but unlike last season, not despondent.

Enjoyed the game and how I wished somebody got their swede on the last cross in....

Cert pen to Coventry when I walked in....Norris might of got one when he was shoved over in the second....honours even.

Some fans from the Arkells are telling me the red was a red..a stamp..the replay might give us a clue but Dunn lost it for sure.

Worldly goal that 15 men wouldn't of stopped.

Just after the sending off I discussed what Flitcroft would do...Stick and stay as we were, bring on Wollery and go long into the corners with pace (what I wanted ref Coventrys weakness) or go big, he went big with Smith and I thought the lad did well when he came on.

Deserved a point methinks but anybody that went tonight would have confidence for a reasonable season and go back.

Great goal by Norris...ran himself into the ground.

See you Saturday.

Clems Army!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 23:32:38 »

When we played a bit of football for about 15 mins in the second half, we had Coventry rattled.

That's what we want to see at home and not players playing the ball in the air to someone 6 yards away.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 23:52:36 »

Key points for me...

-Robertson needs dropping if and when possible. Can't deal with any sort of ground attack coming his way. As soon as he's turned round it's almost certain he ain't getting there as he has Alan Reeves type pace, and if he does get there a mistake is likely. Arguably should have had two pens against his name this evening. Arrived as the lad went through on goal so was at ground level and it was a blatant pen. Hate to say it so early but he will prove a liability all season if he plays regularly. Our back line has no pace in general. Praying this Preston lad had more about him.

-Still far too kick and rush in possession. It was way more composed than what I saw v Exeter and Barnet, and none of us want to see the return of passing for passings sake. BUT there needs to be a balance. I see no benefit in forcing passes and generally handing the ball over to the opposition. Get up to the half way line quickly by all means and then play from there. We have some talented wide options, we need to settle down and work the wings far more than we do. We're never going to be a slick passing unit but most of our play appears thoughtless and rushed. Boot the ball forward, team moves up the pitch quickly, possession gets lost and played behind our midfield and defence, we're on the back foot being countered with a back line slower than Neptune orbits the sun.

-Dare i say it. We need to slow down a bit and give ourselves a chance to dominate the game.

-The ref was a cunt. Come to expect it but seriously. How are you letting your lino's 40 yards away make game changing decisions when it's literally happened a few yards in front of you.  Ironically the linesman should have flagged for the penalty/s and somehow didn't see either as a foul.

Think we have enough about us to end up in the Top 7. Just. Cov were decent enough. They'll be up there all season.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: