Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Access points  (Read 6012 times)
Barry Scott

« on: Thursday, September 14, 2017, 18:13:18 »

I need to improve wireless coverage in my house and I'm planning on getting some good access points.

I know little of these beyond the wireless plug in things by TP Link for about £30.

I'm eyeing up something like this: linky

Any recommendations please?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 14, 2017, 18:58:39 »

What router do you have?
sgt rock

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 14, 2017, 19:12:45 »

Screwfix now sell a wall socket that has a Wi-Fi extender and a USB charger built in.  Sorry, can't get the link on my phone.
Barry Scott

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 14, 2017, 20:21:57 »

What router do you have?

I've got a Billion 7800DXL and a Linksys EA7500, one of which I'll be using in this house, but likely as little more than a basic router with wireless off and using the APs (connected with cables) for Wifi.

Screwfix now sell a wall socket that has a Wi-Fi extender and a USB charger built in.  Sorry, can't get the link on my phone.

I plan on connecting the access points by cable, rather than wireless so don't think they'll be up to the task, but thanks all the same.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 14, 2017, 22:15:29 »

How big is your house? You would probably get away with just one if you buy something decent (802.11ac) and put it somewhere sensible.
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 04:18:46 »

It's not big, it's just old, long and awkward. Although all the rooms are in a straight line, none of the doors line up and all the  walls are brick.

I have an ac1200 repeater, that I've mounted centrally, but it's not up to the task.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 05:57:38 »

Tricky one. I'd avoid TP-Link personally but I suppose you want to manage them centrally?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 06:16:27 »

I'd go Ruckus. More expensive but definitely worth it.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 08:47:00 »

Tricky one. I'd avoid TP-Link personally but I suppose you want to manage them centrally?

I'm not too worried about how I manage them, I'd like to just set them up and forget them. I've just looked in Ubiquiti with POE and they seem pretty good.

Wasn't really wanting to use TP-Link truth be told, most of their stuff seems really hit and miss.

I'd go Ruckus. More expensive but definitely worth it.

Shit, they ain't cheap. Thanks, I'll check eBay and things, see what the second hand market is like. Does feel brilliantly excessive though. Too Cool
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 08:51:20 »

Ruckus is overkill for home use but are excellent. They have a small office/consumer version called X-claim which is very good, I've had an Xi-2 for 3-4 years and the coverage is ridiculous.

Barry Scott

« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 09:05:18 »

Ruckus is overkill for home use but are excellent. They have a small office/consumer version called X-claim which is very good, I've had an Xi-2 for 3-4 years and the coverage is ridiculous.

Ha, yeah the more I looked into it the more I realised it'd be well beyond what I require at a prohibitively expensive price.

The Xclaim look more reasonable though, thanks. Look like I might even get away with one as well.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 09:08:36 »

An Xi-3 would be more than enough, Xi-2 is only 802.11n I think so a bit outdated now

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 09:34:46 »

I tried one of these the other day, they are pricey but bloody good, 8 lan ports and very strong wifi signal, probably overkill for a home though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC88U-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Dual-WAN/dp/B019MKO43M

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 15, 2017, 09:36:14 »

I'm not too worried about how I manage them, I'd like to just set them up and forget them. I've just looked in Ubiquiti with POE and they seem pretty good.

Wasn't really wanting to use TP-Link truth be told, most of their stuff seems really hit and miss.

Shit, they ain't cheap. Thanks, I'll check eBay and things, see what the second hand market is like. Does feel brilliantly excessive though. Too Cool

If you know the right contacts, then it's a lot cheaper. Second hand WAPs are always available...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: