Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Notts County vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 21668 times)
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 08:50:10 »

Really wanted this on a Saturday, can't do it midweek. Will take a point.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 09:12:14 »

Its too early to know who the high flyers really are. We can get a result today, but as always I'd probably take a point away from home.

A good point, you can catch teams on a really good run, which for whatever reason is about to end, or vice versa. It's around the Festive period that you start to get a clearer idea. At this time of year it's about looking for little indicators... tonight it's can we do midweek fixtures, if we can a good sign, if we can't, not the end of the world as it's difficult.

Must be our last trip to Notts around mid December in 14/15 both sides going well in PO slots, or better. We stuffed them 3-0 they fell away and got relegated.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 09:22:32 »

Gladwin tore them apart that game. Back when they had Roy Carroll who would complain about everything he possibly could!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 09:42:54 »

Years ago a mate was at University in Nottingham... he started off watching County, on the basis, their gates were lower so needed the support, then Forest started going well so he went to see them.

What he discovered which somewhat surprised me, was that there were quite large numbers, who would go and watch both. There wasn't the same level of stupidity you got with say Rovers and City.  The historic 2 side British cities, have seemingly been divided by either geography or religion, but Notts and Forest are close to each other, with no apparent reason for a divide.  Of course back then it was a lot cheaper than now.

I've often wondered if Supermarine managed to get up to Conference level, would I go and watch them. Think unlikely, as it would be a geography thing, part of my reasoning for living where I do is it's a 15 minute walk to the CG. Hunt's Copse, is just too far.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 09:49:07 »

Gladwin tore them apart that game. Back when they had Roy Carroll who would complain about everything he possibly could!
That man could whinge for England (OK N Ireland then!) about everything not given his way. Not a very good keeper either.

Plays with Jordan Stewart at Linfield now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 09:55:18 »

Years ago a mate was at University in Nottingham... he started off watching County, on the basis, their gates were lower so needed the support, then Forest started going well so he went to see them.

What he discovered which somewhat surprised me, was that there were quite large numbers, who would go and watch both. There wasn't the same level of stupidity you got with say Rovers and City.  The historic 2 side British cities, have seemingly been divided by either geography or religion, but Notts and Forest are close to each other, with no apparent reason for a divide.  Of course back then it was a lot cheaper than now.

I've often wondered if Supermarine managed to get up to Conference level, would I go and watch them. Think unlikely, as it would be a geography thing, part of my reasoning for living where I do is it's a 15 minute walk to the CG. Hunt's Copse, is just too far.
Yes I think its pretty rare that there is no real hatred between clubs in a city.

Yes there is a little mockery goes on but over all they don't have a mutal hatred as you state Bristol does, also Manchester, Sheffield, London & Birmingham do, Liverpool there is no huge hatred either but they don't really like each other.

And yes if Supermarine got into the Conference I would keep an eye out for their results but would not support them as I only support one club, not even a foreign club.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:07:19 »

Yes I think its pretty rare that there is no real hatred between clubs in a city.

Yes there is a little mockery goes on but over all they don't have a mutal hatred as you state Bristol does, also Manchester, Sheffield, London & Birmingham do, Liverpool there is no huge hatred either but they don't really like each other.

And yes if Supermarine got into the Conference I would keep an eye out for their results but would not support them as I only support one club, not even a foreign club.

What about Stoke and Port Vale? Can't imagine much enmity there. And don't quite a few West Ham fans go to Orient? Seems to work where they're clearly not rivals. Others?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:12:16 »

What about Stoke and Port Vale? Can't imagine much enmity there. And don't quite a few West Ham fans go to Orient? Seems to work where they're clearly not rivals. Others?
TBH I forgot Stoke, PV really don't like Stoke not sure if its mutual though. (EDIT: yes it is mutual)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potteries_derby
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:15:08 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:39:36 »

Last time I went Lee Hughes came on, our lot started abusing him and much as I feared he scored the only goal right at the end of a dour game.

I think it was the Wilson / Hart 'Im playing 3 strikers not none' season.

Never knowingly overstated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:44:48 »

Quite rightly they loathe each other, completely different towns, but, one Stoke, gets administrative naming rights over the other.

Bit like Swindon and Highworth. I don't suppose many Town fans went along to watch Highworth Town v North Shields a couple of years back in the Vase semi final...a lthough I suppose in a gate of 1200 it's possible.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:53:41 »

Stoke fans refer to PV as "The Fail"

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:55:35 »

What he discovered which somewhat surprised me, was that there were quite large numbers, who would go and watch both. There wasn't the same level of stupidity you got with say Rovers and City.  The historic 2 side British cities, have seemingly been divided by either geography or religion, but Notts and Forest are close to each other, with no apparent reason for a divide.  Of course back then it was a lot cheaper than now.

I think some people just love watching football. I've gone to random games out of sheer boredom when Town are away or not playing... It's much nicer watching as a neutral and a lot better than watching it on the Telly. I have Reading, Aldershot, Woking, Wycombe, Maidenhead and a whole host of lower non league teams pretty close by. Even Fulham, Brentford and QPR are under an hour away.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:11:05 »

I think some people just love watching football. I've gone to random games out of sheer boredom when Town are away or not playing... It's much nicer watching as a neutral and a lot better than watching it on the Telly. I have Reading, Aldershot, Woking, Wycombe, Maidenhead and a whole host of lower non league teams pretty close by. Even Fulham, Brentford and QPR are under an hour away.

It's a good thing to do. I know a few Town fans who like to see a fairly local game if we're at the arse end of the country, who will even go and watch Oxford, if it looks tidy fixture.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:12:49 »

Not a Town fan if they go and watch those shaggers
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:15:17 »

No True Scotsman fallacy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: