Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Creepy Crawley Official Match Day Thread  (Read 33592 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 17:02:41 »

We did have Lanzani in goal though who was presumably PdC's nephew

Good point Lanzano also let in 2 v Roverum, meaning he was responsible for 62.5% of home league goals conceded. Mattia fans would point to the couple of clean sheets in his 5 or so games.

When Wes came in he kept 5 consecutive clean sheets and only let in 1 in something like 17 games at the CG.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 17:52:05 »

The gulf in class between Lanzano and Wes was incredible.

I think we've been fairly fortunate with goalkeepers over the years, would be surprised if nobody came in for Vigoroux in the next few days.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 18:28:09 »

Keepers are on odd position.  You can be bang average and make a good career for yourself and it's one position where stats probably lie more often than not.  Many keepers could point to clean sheets but have played in teams that meant they could have been on holiday for all the benefit they personally brought.  Tom Heaton looked nothing special when he came here on loan, now look at him, and Hart went from top of the tree to looking like school kid in goal within a season or two.  Given was the only one who payed for us that I could have hung a good bet on making it at the top of his career.  He was the only one who looked like a proper keeper to me, and I'm including Wes and Digby in that analysis - both good, but I never had a sense they'd go on to represent their country.  Schmeichel was a rare breed, but many of today's group of world class keepers still don't really do it for me, maybe De Gea.  Maybe I'm just too critical.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 19:55:54 »

Do you think we'll have enough to stay in Div 4?  HPool last season were set up as hard to beat, but a bit toothless, had 3 defeats in their first 13, but are now heading to Conference North.

I do have a niggling concern about how Flitters' tenure at Bury ended with that horrible run which more or less started after they won at the CG. I'd like to think he'll have learned soething from that... which is why Saturday is so important, really needs a convincing display.

Out of interest, do you think we'll have enough to stay in Div 4?
Where do you think we'll finish?
For the record I'll go with yes and 7th.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 08:16:53 »

Out of interest, do you think we'll have enough to stay in Div 4?
Where do you think we'll finish?
For the record I'll go with yes and 7th.

My gut instinct is that we should be OK this season, and hopefully avoid a struggle.

It's still too early to say whereabouts that will take us.

A bit back I suggested that the home games v Crawley and Barnet... followed by 2 road trips to Luton and mid week Notts County would start to give us a clue. This was a response to others who felt we had a pasting in us... I suggested that Luton looked a good candidate, wasn't expecting Crawley though Sad
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 08:56:08 »

Do you think we'll have enough to stay in Div 4?  HPool last season were set up as hard to beat, but a bit toothless, had 3 defeats in their first 13, but are now heading to Conference North.

I do have a niggling concern about how Flitters' tenure at Bury ended with that horrible run which more or less started after they won at the CG. I'd like to think he'll have learned soething from that... which is why Saturday is so important, really needs a convincing display.

We'll stay up and may scrape into the play offs.  But on early viewing we lack flair and creativity and potency, and are highly dependant on a Chris Hussey free kick to create anything.  This may change when Woolery gets up to speed but imagine teams will just drop deep and cut off space in behind for him to exploit.

Don't think we are in any danger of going down.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 09:23:55 by fittons_coaching_badge » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 09:25:51 »

We'll stay up and may scrape into the play offs.  But on early viewing we lack flair and creativity and potency, and are highly dependant on a Chris Hussey free kick to create anything.

Don't think we are in any danger of going down. This may change when Woolery gets up to speed but imagine teams will just drop deep and cut off space in behind for him to exploit.

Broadly speaking I'm happy to see a grindingly dull outfit, it is what a lot wanted. 

It was also predictable that the honeymoon period wouldn't last long, before some folk got dewy eyed for the days of comedy short corner routines, defenders getting caught in possesion after a goalkeeper provided hospital pass, and some futile, short lived, midfield triangles.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 09:48:31 »

We've only ever lost back to back home games in Div 4 once, that being when Wise walked out taking Gus Poyet. Tuttle was installed as caretaker took a look at it and thought better of it.

That terribly nice chap Adi Williams stepped up as player boss for a couple of games, got in an old Reading mate Barry Hunter  to assist, it didn't help much.

Tuttle was soon bound for an unsuccessful spell at football hotbed Hartley Wintney, Adi the courts and Barry never to be seen again in a football context.

Actually Reg, Barry's done alright for himself. Chief scout at Liverpool i think. Ady, slightly less glamorously does the sport on Radio Berkshire these days.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 09:58:28 »

Actually Reg, Barry's done alright for himself. Chief scout at Liverpool i think. Ady, slightly less glamorously does the sport on Radio Berkshire these days.

Well done Barry... I took a bit of dislike to him, when he went down under Fallon's elbow at Nene Park, from the far end it looked to me like simulation, I'd expect better from an Ulsterman. I'd just not heard about him... think scouts should have a low profile.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:01:44 »

We've only ever lost back to back home games in Div 4 once, that being when Wise walked out taking Gus Poyet. Tuttle was installed as caretaker took a look at it and thought better of it.

That terribly nice chap Adi Williams stepped up as player boss for a couple of games, got in an old Reading mate Barry Hunter  to assist, it didn't help much.

Tuttle was soon bound for an unsuccessful spell at football hotbed Hartley Wintney, Adi the courts and Barry never to be seen again in a football context.

Incidentally one of the games was v DRS's mates Hereford, in some ways good they're not around, as they cause us Div 4 probs.  One of the two defeats was a consequence of an Andy Williams brace.... the last Div 4 0-3 was at their hands, not to mention the 4-1 at Edgar Street, but most bizarrely they drew 3-3 at the CG in PdC's championship season...thus scoring 3 of the 8 goals conceded at the CG, or 37.5% of the total.

Aside from March 83...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Season=1982-1983

... December 83 / January 84...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Season=1983-1984

... and September 84...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Season=1984-1985

So we've actually lost consecutive home games in each Div 4 season aside from those in which we've breezed to the title.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:07:30 by ferret » Logged
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:08:13 »

Well done Barry... I took a bit of dislike to him, when he went down under Fallon's elbow at Nene Park, from the far end it looked to me like simulation, I'd expect better from an Ulsterman. I'd just not heard about him... think scouts should have a low profile.

Fallon got his revenge later in the season, think we beat them 4-2 at home and Fallon shoved him into the net causing Hunter to score and own goal if I remember correctly.

I come from a land down-under
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:11:05 »

Blimey i had forgotten that incident. I do remember it now you've said though. Barry lived in Reading for quite a few years so bumped into him a couple of times at local football stuff. Seemed a decent enough guy, just not what was needed at the time i guess.
Panda Paws

« Reply #192 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:12:36 »

Decent budget, experienced manager, top 4-5 crowds - If we don't go up it's a failure. I can't get my head around people thinking that mid-table is ok.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 11:23:36 by Panda Paws » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:14:44 »

Nah. Back to back, means no other game between.

In your lists there are 11 pairs of back to back home games... no examples of 2 defeats. The only pair as pointed out, being v Lincoln 0-1 28th Oct and Hereford 1-2, 4th Nov 06
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:21:24 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 10:20:54 »

Fallon got his revenge later in the season, think we beat them 4-2 at home and Fallon shoved him into the net causing Hunter to score and own goal if I remember correctly.

Yep, right in front of the TE... proper Nat Lofthouse style.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: